Oscar Pistorius shoots GF

Bertmega

I saw this pop up on Yahoo! News this morning. Very sad indeed for the family of the victim. Lots are speculating that it was self defense as the crime rate is extraordinarily high in South Africa and he mistaken her for an intruder.

If anyone has any personal experience with South Africa, or was a victim of a violent crime, please feel free to discuss.

@jammer2

Not good for this guy. I hate to speculate especially since I am not too up to speed on the criminal activity in SA, but this really, really does not look good for Mr. Pistorius.

I was reading up on the crime rate in that nation to try and grasp why he would shoot his intruder, but still am left confused. I guess that is the luxury I have by living in suburban America. In any case, the crime seems rather high in SA, so that was the only thing I could think of when I first read the story.

Such a shame that one can fall from grace in the blink of an eye.

@Bertmega I have a close friend that was born in South Africa. I do know it's nothing to shoot an intruder there. If somebody is coming in, they usually have bad intentions...kill the males, rape the women and steal what they can. A lot of tribal stuff spills over into the white area's...ie retubution etc. My buddy actually shot/killed an armed intruder, and ended up getting off on self defense....after his life was made living hell for a few years. That country (in a lot of spots) is like the old west, kill or be killed, esp in the smaller villages. Entire gangs of blacks will go out and rape white women, that kinda stuff is commonplace.