Flyers-Devils 02-15-13

Orangecat

@Orangecat I see a 3-1 win for the Devils with singles going to Clarkson, Elias and Greene. I'm thinking McGinn gets the lone goal for the Flyers...hope I'm wrong, but the Devils have been pretty good of late and Brodeur should be in net. We've done better against him in recent years, but Marty is still *the* obstacle to overcome if they want some pts.

@jammer2

@Orangecat

where did clarkson get his "touch" around the net ? the guy had 30 goals last year and is playing really well this year his goal vs the pens on Sunday was true goal scorer's goal... where is that skill coming from ? wasn't his previous high like 12 goals or something ?

deer antler mist ? EPO ? he's gotta be cheating somehow.

@mojo1917 Clarkson's goal production increased at the exact same time he got the gig in front of the net on the top pp. The Devil's last year promoted him to get some action in front of the net and run some interference to screen the goalie. It worked. Although, I have seen him score from the face off circle from wicked shots, the guy actually has some talent, it was just buried on the checking lines until last year. Makes him a valuable fantasy hockey player, top pp, top 6 forward and gets some nice PIM totals.

not to derail the thread, but I was watching the pens/sens game last night and was struck by how much better the pens are than us. They have a balanced scoring attack that we just don't have. Their passing game is light years ahead of ours and it just caused the sens fits. I bring this up because I just don't see us having the ability to cycle against the Devils D. They've done a great job boxing us out and winning all the individual board battles.

Also, the flyers still seem to have one D man 'rove'. I don't know how to explain it, but I've seen it cause many a breakdown in our zone resulting in GA. For instance, the Debbies have a great cycle game. Our D will have one man chase the forward as he cycles from the net area up to the blue line. This takes our D man waaaay out of position when the Debbie dumps it to another cycling player. then we have one D man back scrambling to cover both posts.

Projected lines:

FLYERS

24 Matt Read - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds

15 Tye McGinn - 10 Brayden Schenn - 93 Jakub Voracek

26 Ruslan Fedotenko - 48 Danny Briere - 9 Mike Knuble

25 Max Talbot - 14 Sean Couturier - 36 Zac Rinaldo

44 Kimmo Timonen - 22 Luke Schenn

5 Braydon Coburn - 27 Bruno Gervais

8 Nicklas Grossmann - 3 Kurtis Foster

30 Ilya Bryzgalov

[33 Brian Boucher]

DEVILS