20 Year Anniversary - The Trade(s)

B21

February 19, 1992

The slumping Pens trade Paul Coffey to the L.A. Kings for Brian Benning and the Kings' 1st round pick in the 1992 Draft. Benning and that pick are then promptly sent to the Flyers along with Mark Recchi for Rick Tocchet, Kjell Samuelsson and Kenny Wregget (the Flyers took defenceman Jason Bowen with the pick).

The trade galvanized the slumping Penguins who went on to win their 2nd consecutive Stanley Cup.

Ah, memories. ;)

• Like 1

February 19, 1992

The slumping Pens trade Paul Coffey to the L.A. Kings for Brian Benning and the Kings' 1st round pick in the 1992 Draft. Benning and that pick are then promptly sent to the Flyers along with Mark Recchi for Rick Tocchet, Kjell Samuelsson and Kenny Wregget (the Flyers took defenceman Jason Bowen with the pick).

The trade galvanized the slumping Penguins who went on to win their 2nd consecutive Stanley Cup.

Ah, memories. ;)

In those days I was stationed in New York and could go out and sit in my car to

Listen to the games on KDKA. I'd freeze because I couldn't afford to run the car long to stay warm! But I loved hearing the games.

I think the PHI-PITT portion of that was okay from both sides. Both got something they needed. It's not Pitt's fault that Philly took the draft pick and decided to play pin the tail on the donkey with it.

Rick Tocchet was and is one of my all-time favorite Flyers. When the chips are down and the stakes are high and you need to throw all in, he's the guy you want at the table with you. So, I was really pretty upset at the time that he was leaving. But objectively, it was a decent trade.

LOL! No, I'm old. I actually remember them winning the Cup and was at two Stanley Cup parades. I'm actually hoping I get to one I can drink at.

Haha....just having a little fun. I mean, it was a different time way back then and teams seemed to be playing harder as a GROUP. Loyalty went a long ways back then.....I do not remember the flyers back in 1975. Saw my first Pens game in 78/79 but god they were not much fun and I was lucky the Steelers and Pirates were both winning at that time.

Haha....just having a little fun. I mean, it was a different time way back then and teams seemed to be playing harder as a GROUP. Loyalty went a long ways back then.....I do not remember the flyers back in 1975. Saw my first Pens game in 78/79 but god they were not much fun and I was lucky the Steelers and Pirates were both winning at that time.

The last time the Flyers won the Cup, the earth was still flat.

Yeah, the Pens were God-awful back then. Even in the early 80's pre-Mario. It must have been 82 or 83ish, my brother and I (if the years are right, I would have been 14 or 15) went down to the Spectrum and got nosebleed seats from scalpers for a game against the Pens. It was 13-2 (ish) or something like that. The most lopsided game I've ever been to. It was almost like basketball where you just sat down from cheering and someone scored again. The thing is that for that time period, I don't think the Flyers were actually THAT good or the Pens THAT bad, but what a horrible game for Pitt.

The weird thing is that, as a Philly fan just kind of learning sports as a kid in the mid-late 70s and early 80s, I saw two Cup parades, a world series parade, an NBA championship parade, and saw the Iggles go to the Super Bowl, the Flyers in a couple other finals and the Phillies back in the series in 83, all by 15 years old. I really thought that was the way it was supposed to be. And then.............well, I had the Phillies in 2008.

If/when the Flyers do win the Cup, the irony will be that at my first two I was too young to drive and the third I'll probably be too old.

You know what, @B21, @Skatebyu66 has me thinking about your post in a different way.

Like, holy crap, it's been TWENTY years???? Because the Pens were as bad as what skatebyu and I were talking about, I remember when the Pens won I was thinking "dear Lord, the Pens wining the Cup and the Flyers in last place. I've woken up in bizarro world."

Maybe I left bizarro world instead?

@ruxpin

Invaded? it's open right? How many Flyers topics have I invaded? LOL I remember those days too... City of Champions (Pirates and Steelers both world champs) and the Pens losing pretty much all the time. The Pirates winning World Series', the Steelers winning four Super Bowls.. It was good to be young...

I think the PHI-PITT portion of that was okay from both sides. Both got something they needed. It's not Pitt's fault that Philly took the draft pick and decided to play pin the tail on the donkey with it.

Rick Tocchet was and is one of my all-time favorite Flyers. When the chips are down and the stakes are high and you need to throw all in, he's the guy you want at the table with you. So, I was really pretty upset at the time that he was leaving. But objectively, it was a decent trade.

Absolutely fair. Just made a big difference for the Pens.

Absolutely fair. Just made a big difference for the Pens.

Pens have a good knack for deadline-type trades in their Cup years. Whether it was this or the Guerin/Kunitz pick up, the deadline deals have been tremendous in both year's success.

The Flyers do deadline deals, but they never quite have that effect (please vote for my comment for "Understatement of the Year.")

Pens have a good knack for deadline-type trades in their Cup years. Whether it was this or the Guerin/Kunitz pick up, the deadline deals have been tremendous in both year's success.

The Flyers do deadline deals, but they never quite have that effect (please vote for my comment for "Understatement of the Year.")

Agree....Stojanov for Naslund aside.

@ruxpin "The Flyers do deadline deals, but they never quite have that effect (please vote for my comment for "Understatement of the Year.")"

You got that right....some of the players the Flyers have acquired at the deadline.....geez....

Dan McGillis and a 2nd for Janne Niinimaa

Dave Babych for a 3rd

Craig Berube for futures

Kent Manderville for Kirby Law

Dean McCammond for futures

Dean Melanson for Matt Herr

Adam Oates for a 1st, 2nd and third (all bums) and the famous Maxim Ouellett :ph34r:

Ken Wreget for futures

Peter White for futures

Petr Svoboda for Gary Galley

Frantisek Kucera for futures

Mark Pederson

ditched Pelle Eklund for futures

Carcillo for Upshall

Glenn Resch

Tom Sestito for Greg Moore and Michael Chaput...we might have won that one, have not heard much of of our 2 has beens

It's a downright ugly list.....missing piece my ass!

Ran past this, Buffalo acquires then 5th round pick Ryan Miller and Rhett Warrener for Mike Wilson, I say the Sabres won that one, huh?