Gallagher Concussed after hit from L. Schenn

hf101

Gallagher, who had a goal and an assist earlier in the game and was named the first star, would take two more shifts before leaving the game.

There was no penalty on the play.

But will the discipline come later? It's a textbook hit from behind, and while it wasn't overly visible to officials in real-time, the replay does appear to catch Schenn driving through the back of Gallagher's head with forearm/elbow area.

If you watch carefully, you'll see that Gallagher avoids having his head hit the glass on the first contact, but as Schenn follows through with the elbow, Gallagher goes face-first into the glass. That seems like the sort of thing Brendan Shanahan might find objectionable. Might Schenn sit for this, or will the DOPS see as little wrong with it as the on-ice officiating crew?

If Schenn does get a short ban, it's worth noting that he and Brayden will become the first set of brothers to be suspended within a month of one another during the Shanahan era. History!

source

@habs26

You are begging if you think that was a suspendable hit.....Gallagher turns so he can get his face to the glass trying to draw a penalty, Dumb on his part. I am all against cheap shots from behind, like the one Emilin did on McGinn with no call and before you start whining about Giroux hacking (i say hip checking) Emilin,it was a 2 minute penalty at best and that is only because the puck might have been played before Giroux checked him. At least watch the play before you jump on the suspension wagon.........

@habsguy26

@flyerrod

I agree it was a hit from behind. I disagree about the elbow. I do think Gallagher was already facing away from Schenn when he lines him up, and it's clear Schenn initiates the impact with his hands in Gallagher's lower back. The concussion has to come from Gallagher being bent over and Schenn's body rolling along his torso, smashing his head against the glass.

I'd say 1 game for hitting from behind.

@flyerrod He turns into the boards? Uh.... why don't you watch that again Rod...

@habs26

And please, show me the cheap hit from behind Emelin did... lastly, if that was a hip check then my name is Bettsy-Sue.

Hello Bettsy Sue.....He was looking down the ice not to the boards until he felt the contact as he was playing the puck.Watch the above video clip from the 17 second mark on. Go frame by frame and look at Schenn's leg positioning As Gallagher plays the puck he then turns his body to the boards. As for the Emilin hit, I can't remember when it was that Emilin hit McGinn but I know McGinn bumped him later in the game trying to get him to answer for it and he would not....

Kudos to you habs26 for understanding a warped sense of humor.. ;)

Edited by flyerrod
  • Like 2