Prospect: Connor McDavid

Guest JackStraw

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/sports/hockey/connor-mcdavid-excels-in-ontario-hockey-league-and-is-on-way-to-stardom.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&ref=sports

Just wondering if any of our friends NOTB have seen this kid. I assume that if the NY Times is covering a 16 year old in the OHL, he must be pretty special.

@JackStraw

I'll let the boys from Ontarioland weigh in with their own personal notes, since I've not seen him personally, except for one televised game.

I'll just say that the hockey nerds I know, which only includes one actual scout admittedly, rave about his game. "Special player," "generational talent," all that kind of stuff. There's almost 1,000 posts on him on a certain other hockey forum that has a focus on prospects. He just turned 16 in January, so the conversation is always about comparing where he is at with others at the same time. In this case, he gets compared to Tavares. Lots of people think he's better than Tavares was.

• 2 weeks later...

@Podein25 I have only seen him in 3 televised games. The first thing that struck me is his dexterity for a such a big kid. Skates very nice with a fluid stride and wicked top end speed that will only get better. Even at the tender age of 16, he's a game changer. Wonderful accurate slap shot and a very quick wrister. I honestly believe he's one of those generational talents that come along once a decade. The sky is the limit!

When you're granted exceptional status, become a point a game player on one of the worst teams in the entire CHL, have decent size for an 18 year old and have all this going for you at the age of 16, I think you can say he's headed for 1st overall and likely a generational talent. He plays in jammers conference and on a team that doesn't get much television coverage up here.so I don't get to see much of him. I'm guessing next year they'll showcase him more on TV.