Nick Cousins OHL player of the week...

EDI-Flyer

Toronto, ON – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Nick Cousins of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds is the OHL Player of the Week after recording nine points in two games including two goals and seven assists with a plus-minus rating of plus-4 for the week ending February 17.

Cousins led the Greyhounds to a pair of victories and took over top spot in the OHL scoring race last week beginning with a four-assist performance on Wednesday night as third star of an 8-0 win against the Sarnia Sting. On Saturday night Cousins picked up his second five-point game of the season and extended his personal point-streak to eight games scoring two goals and three assists including his league-high 70th helper of the season as second star of a 10-7 win over the Kingston Frontenacs.

Cousins, a 19-year-old from Belleville, ON, is playing in his fourth OHL season with the Greyhounds. Named OHL Player of the Month for January, Cousins was selected in the third round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft by the Philadelphia Flyers and currently leads the OHL in scoring with 93 points in 56 games.

http://www.ontarioho...the-week/138689

He may make the Flyers next season...

...if not he will definatley be an improvemnet to the Phantom's roster...

...Cousins, Leier, and defensman Sullentrop and maybe Mark Alt will be welcome madditions to the Phantoms next season...will replace Testwuide, Ford and hopefully Kessel...

Didn't know much about him before this... Here's his talent analysis:

Cousins plays with a combination of toughness and scoring ability that is similar to current Flyer Scott Hartnell, though he does not possess Hartnell's size. The strength of his game is his two-way play and competitiveness all over the ice; at the same time he did lead his junior team with 29 goals. The best parts of his offensive game are his passing and playmaking skills and a willingness to go to high traffic areas to create opportunities.

Sounds good to me... :)

One thing not mentioned on the talent analysis is his ability to drive opposing players nuts... On my cell phone right now so can't post the link but last year he got one guy mad enough to deliver a double handed slash to the stomach during the game... edit, just checked and the guy who slashed him was Ryan Rupert from the London Knights. Ended up with a five game suspension from the OHL...

Edited by EDI-Flyer

Here's the video of the slash to the stomach.... he might have very well deserved it :-)

Indeed he might... But he's the kind of guy who will draw a ton of penalties and not take too many for you. Keep him away from your daughters though... Too soon?

• Like 1

Innocent until proven guilty,....... I'm glad he has stayed focused and is the OHL's leading scorer.

However very concerning for Flyer fans is this quote by Seravalli:

"If he is guilty, anything he's done in hockey won't matter. For one, he won't be allowed in the U.S. And I'd have a hard time believing any team would be interested in a player with that history and past."

@hf101 Oh yeah, if he is found guility, his life is basically over...his career, rep...all gone. Will probably go on the Sex Offender list and never find work again, he better hope and pray there is holes/inconsistancy in that ladies story....I wonder if the Flyers are helping pay for his defence? Seems like it would be a good investment for them going forward....

I strongly believe in innocent until proven guility, so just wanna see this play out. Can't help but wonder, with the other players involved and all if this was not some drunken misadventure gone wrong. Sad because I get the feeling if it was a party etc, if he never started drinking that day, how different his life would be.

Edited by jammer2

@hf101 Oh yeah, if he is found guility, his life is basically over...his career, rep...all gone. Will probably go on the Sex Offender list and never find work again, he better hope and pray there is holes/inconsistancy in that ladies story....I wonder if the Flyers are helping pay for his defence? Seems like it would be a good investment for them going forward....

I strongly believe in innocent until proven guility, so just wanna see this play out. Can't help but wonder, with the other players involved and all if this was not some drunken misadventure gone wrong. Sad because I get the feeling if it was a party etc, if he never started drinking that day, how different his life would be.

Ugh... I totally forgot about that incident with Cousins.

To be honest, given the lack of detail about the whole incident it is very difficult to say what happened. But AFAIK essentially it is the girls word against theirs...

Obviously there may be DNA evidence etc but it would probably boil down to consensual or not, and that is very hard to prove one way or another.

"If he is guilty, anything he's done in hockey won't matter. For one, he won't be allowed in the U.S. And I'd have a hard time believing any team would be interested in a player with that history and past."

He has been acquitted and for some reason, money speaks. He will be playing hockey in the USA next year and soon for the Flyers.

He has been acquitted and for some reason, money speaks. He will be playing hockey in the USA next year and soon for the Flyers.

Where did you see that. When I search for info the most recent thing I've found is that the 3 are to appear in court on Feb 25th.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=53009