Phil Kessel for Jimmy Howard?

yave1964

Okay, this is straight out of left field, I actually heard this on the radio today as a trade proposal from another fan and about drove off of the road, just wanted to get other opinions on it.

As a Wings fan, I hate the thought of Howard leaving but he is an UFA at the end of the season, and in line for a very nice payday. Kessel has made his share of believers in Toronto as well as detractors as the guy who Brian Burke got in one of the worst trades in organization history, which is a long, long list.

So. Do you trade Kessel for the goalie your team desperately needs to go to the next level, moving on from the Burke era, and as a Wings fan, do you trade for a scorer to solidify your forwards, and set yourself up for the eventuality of losing Filpulla at the end of the season? No top four blue liners out there to be had, if Kessel is available do you do this deal?

Both sides, what say you?

Edited by yave1964

Hm... honestly if I'm Detroit, I pull the trigger on that immediately. Losing Howard would hurt, but I'm a believer in Petr Mrazek. He has game and is the goalie of the future. Can you imagine a line of Kessel-Datsyuk-Zetterberg? Or even Kessel-Datsyuk-Helm is scary...

If I'm Toronto I add Reimer and make you give up a young forward.

• Like 1

@yave1964 I dunno, they will/can never get proper value for Kessel in the context of what they gave up. Howard on the Leafs would just be meh, ok....Plus, goaltending has not been the problem in Toronto, so why give up your top asset for a guy who is not on a lot of fans top 10 goalie list.

@yave1964

Wow, what an interesting trade idea. Before I decide, Mr. Burke, I need to discuss with Mr. Illitch and Mr. Babcock on this particular issue. Is there a deadline for this trade? You see, our backup goaltenders aren't exactly at cruising altitude yet. One of whom is a rookie, completely green. The other is coming off an injury and has only played twice this season, neither of which were complete games. I'd like the chance to play them more often and see if Jimmy sees the writing on the wall. However, Phil would make a great combination between Zetterberg and Brunner. It would be one of the most dangerous scoring lines in the league. This would allow Datsyuk to play on the second line and conserve ice time. Datsyuk on a second line with Filppula and Franzen would also be incredibly helpful, particularly for Franzen's production which we need to get going. In fact, if I had to, I could interchange the first and second lines to preserve players and still be very effective against the oppositions top defensive pairing. Cleary wouldn't be too thrilled about being demoted to third line, but once Helm and Bertuzzi return, they would create a very dynamic trio, with speed, finesse, and hard work which is tough to find in most third lines. I think he'd appreciate that. That would then leave Jordin Tootoo, Justin Abdelkader, and Drew Miller on the sandpaper line. I would have a lot of extra weight here, so maybe I can sweeten the pot for you.

How about if I add Patrick Eaves and Kyle Quincey if you'll throw in Carl Gunnarsson? Whaddaya think?

• Like 1

@yave1964 I dunno, they will/can never get proper value for Kessel in the context of what they gave up. Howard on the Leafs would just be meh, ok....Plus, goaltending has not been the problem in Toronto, so why give up your top asset for a guy who is not on a lot of fans top 10 goalie list.

Agreed, the deal makes no sense for Toronto. Which usually means it's going to happen hahaha.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you think the Leafs should make this trade, you're obviously a wingnut, no pun intended. Reimer is already a better goalie than Howard. And what would you give us other than a third goalie for Kessel? Maybe we would do the deal for Datsyuk or Zetterburg. That would be the only way it would make sense for the Leafs. If you want to rape and pillage the Leafs, forget it. It's time the Leafs started getting the better end of these deals so we can finally compete for the cup again. No more 1 step forward, 2 steps backward. Enough of this nonsensical trade talk. Go Leafs!

If you think the Leafs should make this trade, you're obviously a wingnut, no pun intended. Reimer is already a better goalie than Howard. And what would you give us other than a third goalie for Kessel? Maybe we would do the deal for Datsyuk or Zetterburg. That would be the only way it would make sense for the Leafs. If you want to rape and pillage the Leafs, forget it. It's time the Leafs started getting the better end of these deals so we can finally compete for the cup again. No more 1 step forward, 2 steps backward. Enough of this nonsensical trade talk. Go Leafs!

Howard is now and always will be better than Reimer. There is no Reimer reason for your argument (Groan). Relax, it was just an offer very early in the season before Reimer developed in to a meh starting goaltender and Howard signed his extension.