Flyers-Pens, one of the most exciting games of the season

Guest TedZep

They really did let them play for the most part. I just don't like when the non-calls lead to goals for either team. I want to see amazing goals not New Jersey style crap. THAT is where I thought the refs favored you guys a bit, was letting play continue with Vokoun on top of the puck particularly. But as I already said, that happens both for and against every team, and you just have to overcome it. The Pens had their chance to win and didnt. I just felt bad for Vokoun, and wanted to elevate that desperate play into sudden death overtime!

@Polaris922

I agree with letting them play. I thought for sure they would have blown the play dead on the Flyers first goal. Odd that they didn't and I have never witnessed a keystone cops cluster like that in my life.

Did you happen to catch the stat where they showed the years Philly dominated, then Pittsburgh Dominated, then Philly, etc? It's starting to look like the teams are matching up well (minus the Flyers defense). What I did take from it, the years Pitt dominated, they won a cup. The years the Flyers did, the Devil were better :ph34r:

I don't think I had ever seen a goal like that first Flyers goal, with bodies lying all over the ice in front of the net. And then a little later, I saw another one!

The best part of that is that the up-ice referee was in front of the net and always saw the puck (otherwise it would have been blown dead by the behind the net ref). I loved that they let the scrum go. It reminded me of some good shinny days and the reason why we all love hockey. Nothing fancy- just want to get / save a goal.

The best part of that is that the up-ice referee was in front of the net and always saw the puck (otherwise it would have been blown dead by the behind the net ref). I loved that they let the scrum go. It reminded me of some good shinny days and the reason why we all love hockey. Nothing fancy- just want to get / save a goal.

My only issue with it was Knuble on top of Vokoun when the shot was made. He's In the crease and limiting Vokoun's movement. Could he have made the save? I dunno cuz he's have had to roll over, but he should've been afforded the ability to try. Remove Knuble from his back at least.

My only issue with it was Knuble on top of Vokoun when the shot was made.

Well, if Glass would not have pushed him into Voukon and the crease you might have a good argument. Also, Knuble was not "on top" of Vokoun. Once he is pushed into the crease is is allowed to be in there. Of course this is through my O&B glasses.

Well, if Glass would not have pushed him into Voukon and the crease you might have a good argument. Also, Knuble was not "on top" of Vokoun. Once he is pushed into the crease is is allowed to be in there. Of course this is through my O&B glasses.

I thought Knuble went in clean as the puck was there. When the puck leaves the crease, however, Knuble turns and sees Grossman closing on it, then "loses his balance" landing on Vokoun's back.

I thought Knuble went in clean as the puck was there. When the puck leaves the crease, however, Knuble turns and sees Grossman closing on it, then "loses his balance" landing on Vokoun's back.

Agree With This

I watched it again, and I was incorrect on the crosscheck (though that did happen earlier in the sequence). What I know is that if the puck is in the crease, the player can enter the crease (with no contact). Nubes did that, then the scramble ensued. At the end of the day, Voukoun was dry-humping the ice and regardless of Knuble, would not have had a prayer to save that.

Given that, I thought Malkin's shot that went to review was a goal. But you can never see the actual puck, so it was a legit call both on the ice and upstairs.

I watched it again, and I was incorrect on the crosscheck (though that did happen earlier in the sequence). What I know is that if the puck is in the crease, the player can enter the crease (with no contact). Nubes did that, then the scramble ensued. At the end of the day, Voukoun was dry-humping the ice and regardless of Knuble, would not have had a prayer to save that.

Given that, I thought Malkin's shot that went to review was a goal. But you can never see the actual puck, so it was a legit call both on the ice and upstairs.

I just felt Vokoun should've been able to try. He's trying to roll over when Knuble lands on him. Either way I gave the refs 3 assists on Flyers goals last night, but the Pens had the chance to overcome it and didn't. It is what it is.

Malkin's non-goal I felt was clearly in by the front view, as you see the puck disappear behind the post in the glove. But I also was the first to say inconclusive because its almost always the overhead view that counts most, so no complaint there. That's hockey!

Edited by Polaris922

Either way I gave the refs 3 assists on Flyers goals last night, but the Pens had the chance to overcome it and didn't. It is what it is.

lets go 2-and-2 and call it a good game. I could split hairs on many non-calls as well, but won't, because it was a great game to watch- mostly because the refs let them play.

• Like 1

I agree with letting them play. I thought for sure they would have blown the play dead on the Flyers first goal. Odd that they didn't and I have never witnessed a keystone cops cluster like that in my life.

As long as the referee can see the puck, play continues. Like VF says in the post after yours, it's impressive that the ref was able to see it through all the mayhem but if you watch the overhead replay, the puck is visible pretty much the whole time.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

@Bertmega

I love it really. I think it's the best rivalry in sports because its the only one like it in a physical sport! NFL crap doesn't count. Two games a year isn't a rivalry at quite the same intensity. It's see-sawed so much and now a battle every game.

Ravens Steelers ain't bad.

• Like 2