Flyers-Pens, one of the most exciting games of the season

Guest TedZep

Each team squandered 2 goal leads, there were hits galore, one fight, Crosby getting away with hooks and slashes (typical) and still coming away with a -3 on the evening, the Flyers surviving consecutive 5-3 PKs, and the game winner by Voracek to top it all off.

Whew.

• Like 1

I just love watching the Flyers go into Consol time and again and completely frustrate Malkinberry and Neal into taking bad penalties! Nothing gave me more joy tonight then to watch Jake shock the ****tsburg fans while they were still celebrating the tying goal! Fun game all around except when they tried to hand the Pens the game with those careless penalties at the end!

Great game. I think the refs repaid you guys a little with late whistles and a bad call on Adams for getting elbowed in the head, but all in all sometimes you have to press through that and the Pens did. Voracek was beneficiary if a horrible play by Vokoun to win the game. Wish it had gone to OT though, I wanted to see that same frenzy elevated by sudden death!

Ha, there's probably no player I dislike more than Malkin, so it's always nice to see him lose.

I missed the game, and just watched the highlights this morning on NHL.com. What in the world happened on that first Flyer goal? I think every Pen was in the net or in the crease. And how did Letang not get a penalty??

Also - how did we end up with TWO 5 on 3s against late in the 3rd period??? Were they bad calls or boneheaded penalties by the Flyers?

Nice to pick up the 2 points, and always sweeter against the cross-state rival. And kudos to Voracek! He's really blossoming this year!

Malkin still had a goal and an assist. Letang never closed his hand on the puck just pushed it which is still allowed so no penalty. The 5 on 3's were legitimately stupid plays by Fedotenko and then later by Talbot while already short handed.

Was a lot of fun to watch, especially the first and third periods. I wanted sudden death OT!

@brelic

Knuble with a high stick that drew blood, Fedotenko with a high stick to draw blood, they were no brainer calls, Talbot was unlucky on his clearing attempt.

Kunitz actually helped the flyers out when he kicked the puck into the net on the 5-3, gave the pkers a much needed rest while the play was reviewed.

Great fight between Simmonds and Glass, they fought to a draw, both landed nice shots.

The greasy goal in the big pile up was probably the best thing to happen to the flyers, showed driving the net would be rewarded.

Very entertaining game, the Pens are skilled and tough, so it's always a good win vs them

• Like 1

Read has an " upper body" injury. I missed that. Anyone know what happened? Or what got injured? I hope it's not a concussion.

Kunitz hit him into the boards as he passed the puck through the neutral zone. Didn't look like anything but he rolled along the glass so maybe a shoulder?

The Pens seem to bring out the good in Jakub Voracek, he's been very very good against them. he's stronger on the puck more willing to drive the net, for his sake i wish we'd play the pens all the time.

that has got to be one of the more entertaining regular season hockey games i've seen, all kinds of scoring , black eyes , cut lips...

what i find interesting is against the rest of the teams in the east the Penguins are stone cold killers, they rout the rangers , caps and bruins... (although i don't think they've played the big and bad yet this year) . why don't these other teams watch the tape of the games. just like the Pens like to set up behind Bryz to run their offense at the expense of his lack of lateral mobility , the pens are not good when their defensemen not named orpik or letang have to turn their backs to the rush. i would think fonzi would be all over that with his team ...

I don't think I had ever seen a goal like that first Flyers goal, with bodies lying all over the ice in front of the net. And then a little later, I saw another one!

We were watching that game last night & I told my wife that that goal is probably the strangest goal that I have ever witnessed in all of my years of watching the NHL.

Anyone ever see a play where all 5 defenders are in the crease,while the goalie is stuck outside of it? (Me neither!)

Shocked that the refs didn't blow the whistle and kill the play. Great work by them to let play continue.

And despite the 5 goals allowed, I though Bryz played well. The only bad goal he gave up was that 5th one (which was big). I have to say that I really haven't found myself worrying about Bryz at all this season. He's been solid. If he keeps playing like this, we'll be in good shape.

Kunitz hit him into the boards as he passed the puck through the neutral zone. Didn't look like anything but he rolled along the glass so maybe a shoulder?

Exactly what I thought - a shoulder injury. If so, that's not good. Doubt he plays tonight (or the next game . . . .).

Hopefully it was just precautionary to keep him out the rest of the game.

And how did Letang not get a penalty??

From most angles, it looked like he covered the puck and tossed it out. But there was one angle that showed that he smacked it out while it sat on the line, didn't really cover it at all. The referee did a really good job all around on that one.

• Like 1

Each team squandered 2 goal leads, there were hits galore, one fight, Crosby getting away with hooks and slashes (typical) and still coming away with a -3 on the evening, the Flyers surviving consecutive 5-3 PKs, and the game winner by Voracek to top it all off.

Whew.

Death, taxes and Ted complaining about officials. ;)

@Bertmega

It also seemed odd to me that when Talbot received his delay of game penalty in the 3rd period for closing his hand on the puck, both refs missed the trip by Neal that sent him to the ice - landing him on top of the puck.

But I also thought Fedotenko's "high stick" appeared to bop Neal on top of the helmet - I knew I must have seen it wrong when Neal grabbed his face and crumpled to the ice. (Sarcasm)

Eh, whatever... Amazing game. I could watch that Rinaldo hit a hundred more times. He's really learning how to be a great pest out there.

• Like 1