Penguin calls Briere dirtiest player in NHL____ Ummm REALLY

Irishjim

http://cmsimg.courie...iest-player-NHL

PITTSBURGH — Tanner Glass, one of the most obscure Pittsburgh Penguins, was at his locker Wednesday morning taking shots at a player he views as the NHL's No. 1 cheap-shot artist.
The journeyman forward never mentioned a certain teammate who was sitting directly across the room and looking his way.

According to Glass, there's a dirtier player than Penguins forward Matt Cooke, who has a long resume of ugliness in his game and just last week ended Ottawa Senators superstar Erik Karlsson's season with a controversial skate-to-the-tendon incident.

His choice is Danny Briere, the Flyers' lovable little forward who has scored a lot of goals and put up a lot of points playing amongst a lot of much bigger fellows.

"I think so," Glass told the Courier-Post before the Flyers-Penguins game at Consol Energy Center. "For being a guy who is known as a skill guy, an offensive player, if you look back at some of his clips, his play in the past ... there's some dirty plays. He'll give you a stick in the ..."

Asked if he and Briere have a history, Glass said, "Nothing. I've just seen his clips. Played against him in the past. Nothing more than that."

Briere was miffed about the criticism.

"Maybe he's trying to be (former NHL bad boy) Sean Avery wanting to stir the pot," Briere said after a wild Flyers' 6-5 victory over the Penguins. "You know what, at least I'm leaving an impression out there. Has he left an impression?

Glass was involved in an entertaining first-period fight with Wayne Simmonds on Wednesday, but Briere still knows nothing about this journeyman forward who has no points in 17 games this season and 39 points over 279 career NHL games for four teams since 2007-08.

"Honestly, I didn't even know who he was," Briere said of Glass. "It's funny how a guy like that who played about three years in the league thinks he came come in and make comments like that.

"I might have played once against him in Winnipeg. Maybe we have our history in PlayStation. That's probably where he remembers me from. That's about the only place I played against him."

Coming to Briere's defense before the game was one of Glass's teammates: Penguins star defenseman and fellow French Canadian Kris Letang.

"Well, he's a very good friend of mine," Letang said of Briere. "He's never done anything wrong to me. If somebody's got issues with him, it's their problem."

Glass opened this can of worms Tuesday night while doing a local radio interview.

"For sure Briere, he's a shifty character out there," Glass told Pittsburgh's 970 ESPN. "I think he's one of the dirtiest players in the league, to be honest. He's undercover dirty. ... You go back on his resume, things he's been penalized for and suspensions and things like that, and you'd be surprised how many things you'd find on him."

Briere, who generously is listed at 5-10, 180 pounds, has been suspended three times for a total of seven games over his 14-year NHL career, the last a three-gamer in 2010-11 for a stick incident with Frans Nielson of the New York Islanders.

For what it's worth, Glass praised Briere's talent.

"He's a great player," he said. "His hockey ability is unquestionable. He's somebody you've got to key on."

That's just laughable. What an idiot.

I love Briere's quote though: ""I might have played once against him in Winnipeg. Maybe we have our history in PlayStation. That's probably where he remembers me from."

Edited by Lucky13
  • Like 4

Sorry Tanner, uh, I can think off of the top of my head two dirtier players for sure. Raffi Torres and Matt Cooke, one of whom is a teammate of his, and one who was. I have no idea what the hell he's talking about.

@krasy

So apparently you didn't actually read what I said. Let me say it again and you can give it another shot...

Dirty player? Yes... Dirtiest? Not even close.

No i readed, and because you often refer to Briere for his stick work and diving, it woud be interesting how you compare him to Crosby. Has Briere done ever something similar to those? So if Briere is durty, how you would categorize those plays by your captain?

My point is your team has no right to call anyone durty. Not untill you have Malkin, Crosby and Cooke.

The league even suspended Ovechkin few times. Only Pitt stars are untochable.

Edited by krasy

No i readed, and because you often refer to Briere for his stick work and diving, it woud be interesting how you compare him to Crosby. Has Briere done ever something similar to those? So if Briere is durty, how you would categorize those plays by your captain?

My point is your team has no right to call anyone durty. Not untill you have Malkin, Crosby and Cooke.

The league even suspended Ovechkin few times. Only Pitt stars are untochable.

Cooke serves his time. Neal served his game too. If Malkin or Crosby do something suspendable I'm sure they will too. You can't even try to tell me Neal, Malkin or Crosby carve with the stick like Briere does.

So I stick up for Briere saying he's NOT what Glass said and you think it somehow matters that you complain about petty incidents in the past on Crosby?

You've truly earned the Philadelphia Cryers name. So what will you do if I say Bryzgalov has played well? Show me highlight reels of Fleury being scored on? Get over yourself...

Edited by Polaris922

Cooke serves his time. Neal served his game too. If Malkin or Crosby do something suspendable I'm sure they will too. You can't even try to tell me Neal, Malkin or Crosby carve with the stick like Briere does.

So I stick up for Briere saying he's NOT what Glass said and you think it somehow matters that you complain about petty incidents in the past on Crosby (so that player of your team dos not refer to incidents on the past or what)? Is he a Cryer?

You've truly earned the Philadelphia Cryers name. So what will you do if I say Bryzgalov has played well? Show me highlight reels of Fleury being scored on? Get over yourself...

So the videos did not show nothing that deserve suspension for Crosby? Is that right?

Carcillo was given 4 games for Bradley fight that is not even close to what Crosby did after the face-off. Did Malkin was suspended for late third period fight?

So if nothing on this videos is suspendable, than YES i am a Cryer, But if is suspendable than what?

Edited by krasy

No, those are only for Penguins fans accusing other team players being durty

You see... Unlike you I'm able to discuss hockey without it being through homer glasses. A player is dirty or not depending upon the player, not just the jersey he wears. I forgive your ignorance to that fact as you haven't participated in the numerous threads about it all that I've been in. You don't know me or my approach, so feel free to go through the old threads and read about it.

I'm not going to hijack yet another thread defending Crosby. You hate him. We get it. That has nothing to do with Briere's stick work. Something well known throughout the league.

Briere is not a dirty player, but he seems terribly unaware of where his stick is much of the time.

Absent-minded really - like an old nutty professor. But basically harmless.

:ph34r:

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 3

You see... Unlike you I'm able to discuss hockey without it being through homer glasses. A player is dirty or not depending upon the player, not just the jersey he wears. I forgive your ignorance to that fact as you haven't participated in the numerous threads about it all that I've been in. You don't know me or my approach, so feel free to go through the old threads and read about it.

I'm not going to hijack yet another thread defending Crosby. You hate him. We get it. That has nothing to do with Briere's stick work. Something well known throughout the league.

That is what i meen in bold text - and the videos are my point. If Briere is durty and never done enything close to this, how you call Crosby. Which is in my post #2 in this tread. Still unaswered by you.

Also unanswered - did you think those type of plays deserve suspension. Because you said earlier "Cooke serves his time. Neal served his game too. If Malkin or Crosby do something suspendable I'm sure they will too."

It is just not right a team that has a full bunch of proven divers like Crosby and Letang, punks like Cooke to be bitching about who is durty. Even Malkin is more careless with his stick and elbows.

Edited by krasy

I have heard on numerous occasions that when playing at home, Briere skips the post game shower and heads straight to his house to watch re-runs of the Gilmore Girls.

While I cannot attest for this ritual on the road, I can say confidently that the "Hygiene Fairy" has been chasing him for years.

• Like 1

Well, I'll say one thing about Glass... he's got some of the best reference for 'dirty' in the league there in Pitt. What with Malkin's flying elbows and Neal's penchant for nailing guys nowhere near the puck... Cook's long resume and the sneaky stick work of Sid. I mean.. he's got the litany of references right there in front of him.

Dirty player? Yes... Dirtiest? Not even close.

One thing for certain is Briere is no angel and he does use his stick often as a defense measure against larger players.....(that means basically everybody but Marty St Louis). Tanner Glass (all star that he is) please note the use of the sarcasm font, has had such limited time in the NHL that he does not know what dirty is. Malkin's reckless elbows are generally much more flagrant and dangerous than Briere's stick work. Last night's game saw a couple of the Pens trying to draw calls with the patented "Carcillo Head Whip". Kudos to the officiating crew for not calling the penalties there but the players that continue to use that ploy, the CHW which I will call it( NO MATTER WHICH TEAM THEY ARE ON) , should be reviewed and fined or even suspended if they continue, until it stops. That goes for Briere too...

• Like 4

Briere has probably been one of the smallest guys on the ice since before whenever. He sometimes uses his stick to give himself a little room. And he gets called for it. But If he played on the Penguins he couldn't crack their top 5 dirtiest player list. On the flip side, he wouldn't get called for it as often.

Briere's comment about Playstation was hilarious!

Malkin - yes he needs to tone down bringing his elbows up, but it's nowhere near as bad as some of you paint it to be. He's a guy who gets frustrated and then they come up here and there, and if he really catches someone with one he usually gets called for it. Granted not always, but he has sat in the box for it. Has he ever been so bad I thought he should get suspended? Not that I can recall. I don't remember any real bad elbows to the head or anything that really stood out. He forearmed Voracek in the side of the head once but they were skating the same direction so not like a major collision, and went to the box for it. I remember him whiffing at Giroux too, which is why I agree he needs to knock it off.

Crosby - dirty? No. Does he lose his composure sometimes and do stupid crap? Yes. But he's not out there hacking everybody or throwing elbows. Doesn't blindside away from the play or anything. The two videos you show aren't great examples, as in the first one McLean reportedly agreed to mix it up before the puck was dropped then more or less turtles, the second one Orpik is engaged with two guys and Crosby comes in to help. THAT happens in just about every game there's a scrum with more than two guys.

So I agree Malkin needs to stop with the elbows yet I don't think any have warranted suspensions. And I disagree that Sid is dirty, he just loses it.

Can we pick at every player and find some point where they've done stupid stuff? Most of them. But again it humors is Pens fans that a team with Pronger, Hartnell and Briere, let alone Rinaldo and recently Carcillo, or that thinks the BSB image is "Flyers hockey" can complain about anyone else in the league. Your team has as many dirtbags and divers as any other, so why bother?

Glass was right in saying Briere can be dirty with the stick. He's been suspended what? Three times now? But he was foolish saying he's the dirtiest player in the league. As I've said already, not even close.

Why did we have to revisit this all over again when I defended your whack-a-mole?? Lol

• Like 1

Tanner who? Give me a break. When he becomes something other than a 4th line scrub let me know. Look in his own dressing room, he can find at least 2 that are "Dirtier" than Briere. I wish both these teams would stop the whining about other players and just play the damn game.

• Like 1