Greatest Rivalry in sports today?

FD19372

The best rivalry in sports?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best rivalry in sports?

• Red Sox-Yankees
    • Duke-North Carolina
    • Penguins-Flyers
    • Another choice

I think the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry was the best in sports, and still could very well be. Bruins-Canadiens is always up there. I also think Duke-North Carolina in college basketball is great. However, I think over the last 4 or 5 years (especially since last year's playoffs) the Flyers-Pens has become the best rivalry in sports. I needed a bottle of Tylenol, vodka, and the day off from work later today after the game last night. Go Flyers!

Edited by Digityman
  • Like 1

I think fans vs. fans, gotta go with Yankees/Red Sox.

Team vs. team, probably Flyers/Pens

But you HAVE to go with Blues/Avalanche. I mean, they were on Rivalry night on NBCSports, so you know that's got to be a hot steamy hatefest.

I'm sensing a little sarcasm from you, ruxpin :D . I will admit Avs/Blues was a great game last night, though. I needed a half a pack of cigarettes, 4 shots of whiskey and about 5 tylenol after Flyers/Pens last night. I picked up NHL Center Ice, so I wouldn't miss games like Hawks-Canucks and, of course, Flyers-Pens. You know, just in case these networks have the occasional brain fart and not have the game on. I've basically hated ESPN the day they decided to put the NBA on, and stop covering NHL games. Talk about a crap product.

• Like 1

Flyers/Penguins is a good one, no offense, the best rivalry in hockey IMHO is the Blackhawks/Canucks. Flyers Pens is a good regional rivalry but the Hawks canucks is forged in playoff fire, the two teams truly despise each other and every game is like a playoff game. I watched the other night when the Hawks were going for the 16th in a row and the skill level and intensity was higher than any regular season game I have seen this year. The path to the west goes through these two, IMHO one of these two will win the west and they both know it. The Pens and Flyers cannot say that, the East is more wide open with about six teams capable of winning the East. I would take the Hawks and Canucks and give the field to anyone with about ten to one odds any day, and these two teams know it too, that is why they are the best rivalry in hockey.

@yave1964

the flyers pens series has the playoff pedigree,with far more history than the 'hawks and canucks , the flyers/ pens playoff rivalry goes back to 2002 and keith primeau in the 5 overtime game, prior to that it was a short period of mario's pens being the better team after being the flyers bitch for 25 years. i don't discount the hatred the canucks and blackhawks have for one another, i don't think your playoff argument is a winner though.

Although I think the Flyers/Pens is a great rivalry, it is not the same kind of hatred as it is between the Red Sox and Yankees nor have they had the amount of years that those baseball teams have had . Give it a few more years with the competitiveness of both the Flyers and Pens and it will be there.

I think the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry was the best in sports, and still could very well be. Bruins-Canadiens is always up there. I also think Duke-North Carolina in college basketball is great. However, I think over the last 4 or 5 years (especially since last year's playoffs) the Flyers-Pens has become the best rivalry in sports. I needed a bottle of Tylenol, vodka, and the day off from work later today after the game last night. Go Flyers!

Ooooh...great topic.

In hockey, no question it's Pens/Flyers. This rivalry has a lot of what makes a rivalry good....

- Both teams have had a nice run of successful seasons...

- Animosity...

- Proximity (same state)...

- Frequency (same division)...

- Post-Season (how many times have we met in the plaoyffs?)...

- Star Players

It's really only lacking in history and tradition (when I say history and tradition I mean like Notre Dame/USC or Bears/Packers).

As for all sports? Yankees/Sox had a nice run for a while but that rivalry really only started with the Sox run of success in the mid-2000's (when they were #2 in payroll behind the Yankees). I think it's lost some luster.

Others that should be up there in addition to USC/Notre Dame, Bears/Packers and Duke/UNC...

Steelers/Ravens

Auburn/Alabama

Lakers/Celtics

Texas/Oklahoma

Barcelona/Real Madrid

Actually, the more I think about it the more Pens/Flyers seems to be #1 overall right now.

• Like 1

Don't forget University of Michigan and Ohio State. Huge rivalry in college football which has lasted over 100 years. They play the same date every year. Both teams know full well that if they only win one game a year, it had better be that one. The games themselves are an event. They're emotional and high action. Both teams tend to play their best against each other, they're fully focused, and the scores, whether high or low, are alwasy tight. At the end, if the home teams wins, the place explodes as if they just won the BCS championship.

In my opinion, this rivalry should at least on the list, if not the clear winner.

• Like 2

@yave1964

the flyers pens series has the playoff pedigree,with far more history than the 'hawks and canucks , the flyers/ pens playoff rivalry goes back to 2002 and keith primeau in the 5 overtime game, prior to that it was a short period of mario's pens being the better team after being the flyers bitch for 25 years. i don't discount the hatred the canucks and blackhawks have for one another, i don't think your playoff argument is a winner though.

I love the Flyers/Pens. I dvr them and make sure to watch every second of the games. The playoff series last year was a wonderful showing of ugly hockey that was wildly entertaining.

That said, I disagree with your argument that the Nucks/Hawks dont rate because of the short term history between the two. Remember the Avalanche/Red Wings rivalry that was unparralelled in the game for about eight years? Yes, the two Pennsylvania teams have 45 years of history, but every now and then two teams come along and for a short time make up a wonderful rivalry. The pistons/Celtics. The Reds/Dodgers. I agree that long term the Flyers/Pens are the best rivalry in the game, but the two best teams in hockey IMO are the Canucks and Hawks, they hate each other and if they are playing each other that is the game I would watch.I know it wont have the long term impact but for now that is THE rivalry.

@yave1964

no sweat buddy, i loved the avalanche / redwings of the late 90's early 2000's that was awesome, i too hated lemeiux.

i also don't dispute that chicago is among the best teams in hockey right now.

i have a dog in the fight so i'm not going to be able to be as objective as you though.

• Like 1

I don't think any other sport counts. Baseball? Nah... No physicality. Nothing like hockey. And football is two games a year, so what! Hockey is half a dozen games at least and THEN playoffs if we're lucky. Hawks-Nucks? Nice but not the same. The Pens-Flyers have hated each other from day one. And nobody can argue they bring the highest rated games in history. Hawks-Nucks didn't even make the NHL network's top ten rivalry list did it??

I don't think any other sport counts. Baseball? Nah... No physicality. Nothing like hockey. And football is two games a year, so what! Hockey is half a dozen games at least and THEN playoffs if we're lucky. Hawks-Nucks? Nice but not the same. The Pens-Flyers have hated each other from day one. And nobody can argue they bring the highest rated games in history. Hawks-Nucks didn't even make the NHL network's top ten rivalry list did it??

Polaris old buddy old pal,

I LOVE the Pens/Flyers matchups, always a great rivalry. I am just saying Hawks/Nucks for my money is the best game on ice RIGHT NOW. Historicly, The battle of PA is up there with:

Wings and avalanche

Leafs and Habs

Rangers and Isles (Remember the Potvin sucks chant?)

Battle of Alberta

Great, great rivalries that have stood the test of time.

I am not camparing Vancouver and Chicago to these wonderful rivalries, but at this moment and time, not all time but today there is nothing like a Hawk and Canuck game. The hate has roots and is evident with every shift.

Don't forget University of Michigan and Ohio State. Huge rivalry in college football which has lasted over 100 years. They play the same date every year. Both teams know full well that if they only win one game a year, it had better be that one. The games themselves are an event. They're emotional and high action. Both teams tend to play their best against each other, they're fully focused, and the scores, whether high or low, are alwasy tight. At the end, if the home teams wins, the place explodes as if they just won the BCS championship.

In my opinion, this rivalry should at least on the list, if not the clear winner.

Thought about that one. Probably should have added it. A few off years by Michigan kinda took away from that one for a while.

Thought of a few others, too....

McEnroe/Bjorg

McEnroe/Connors

Navratilova/Everett

Federer/Nadal (These two had some battles!)

Know what else? Ryder Cup. I know it's golf but there has been some heated moments. War at the Shore anyone?

Flyers/Penguins is a good one, no offense, the best rivalry in hockey IMHO is the Blackhawks/Canucks. Flyers Pens is a good regional rivalry but the Hawks canucks is forged in playoff fire, the two teams truly despise each other and every game is like a playoff game. I watched the other night when the Hawks were going for the 16th in a row and the skill level and intensity was higher than any regular season game I have seen this year. The path to the west goes through these two, IMHO one of these two will win the west and they both know it. The Pens and Flyers cannot say that, the East is more wide open with about six teams capable of winning the East. I would take the Hawks and Canucks and give the field to anyone with about ten to one odds any day, and these two teams know it too, that is why they are the best rivalry in hockey.

Are you talking currently or historically? I was assuming the question was "historically," but you know what happens when one assumes. Plus, the question certainly doesn't say "of all time."

If we're talking "currently," the Hawks/Canucks is probably as good an answer as any. But "historically," I don't think it's even on par with Avalanche/Red Wings backinaday (which was a good time, by the way). I think ongoing it's got to be Flyers/Pens just out of duration. You could make an argument, probably, for Habs/Bruins or Leafs/whomever they imagine.

• Like 1

Are you talking currently or historically? I was assuming the question was "historically," but you know what happens when one assumes. Plus, the question certainly doesn't say "of all time."

If we're talking "currently," the Hawks/Canucks is probably as good an answer as any. But "historically," I don't think it's even on par with Avalanche/Red Wings backinaday (which was a good time, by the way). I think ongoing it's got to be Flyers/Pens just out of duration. You could make an argument, probably, for Habs/Bruins or Leafs/whomever they imagine.

Well the name of the article is greatest rivalry TODAY which maybe I took too litteral. I just assumed today meant today. Hence the Hawks/Canucks argument on my part.

Well the name of the article is greatest rivalry TODAY which maybe I took too litteral. I just assumed today meant today. Hence the Hawks/Canucks argument on my part.

What? So you assumed "TODAY" in big capital letters meant "TODAY?" Good grief!

LOL! I didn't even see the "today." I just read the "best rivalry in sports" in the poll question. Chalk a couple up to @yave1964

Good call.

@jammer2

That's true. I'm not sure if UofM/MSU is so huge outside of the state of Michigan, though. Within the state, obviously, it can break up a marriage, but how far does it extend beyond the boundary? That I think is one of the critical pieces of a good, strong, legendary rivalry.