Flyers v. Pens - Assessment

CoachX

It was a very exciting game and kept me tuned in to the end. I wish they all could be this spirited. Of course I hate all things Penguins, so it was easy to stay motivated. In the end, the boys came out on top and my night was made.

It was good to see some scoring. It was better to see some grit and fight. I liked the enthusiam. After going down by 2, I was fearing the worst. But that second period was awesome. A few things really bothered me though. It was obvious the Pens came out flying and had a plan to get the puck deep. Can this be a blueprint? A scary one. The defense looked pretty bad early on. the other I noticed was the Flyers were taking the body, especially late. Yes the game was physical, but I recall numerous times where guys were in the corners and the defenseman just backed off. If its Crosby or Malkin and you have a chance to hit that guy, you need to do it. A player of that skill can't be given space. In the first period I thought Kimmo was sleep walking out there. Maybe he had a rough day, what do I know.

Lastly, can we do something about Tyler "Freakin" Kennedy? that little troll has made a Patrick Elias type of career scoring on the Flyers. I'm sick of that punk.

Props to Simmonds for a hell of a fight. Its nice having that guy on the team

@

with regard to hitting crosby and malkin in the corners...

man that's dicey, especially with that little fker crosby, he's more slippery than whale snot and has a **** load of skill. if you miss the hit he's 1 on 1 with the keeper and that's not good either. malkin is different he's bigger and gets those elbows up in the corners to prevent such activities, they don't make it easy. i think trying to paste 87 in the corner and missing is worse than backing off to try cut off his angle and passing lanes. i noticed our d backing off , seemed like that's what they were told to do.

Yeah, I can see your point, and you might be right. I still recall seeing times where I think they had a chance to body them and didn't, and not in the places you are referring. Those two are highly skilled for sure. I can respect that. But if they aren't moving around the front of the net, (I know I was talking corners earlier), they need to get hammered.

Cindy doesn't play to well when he gets thumped. Just ask Giroux and Hatcher

He's seen alot of rubber behind him recently and Florida made him look stupid

i've talking about this with @Bertmega

have you ever seen a guy worse 1 on 1 than Bryzgalov ?

the other thing i've seen is pucks hit him and squirt through a lot, i don't know how that happens , if it is some sort of rebound control technique where he trys to pin his arms to his sides as the puck is shot , but Neal's goal went through him as id Sutters.... very odd.

even though he's played pretty well, those things make me think his contract needs to be bought out, because of its length.

@mojo1917 Bryz's rebound control is perhaps the worst I've ever seen. He has no idea where the puck is gonna go once he makes the initial save. It's like a pro pool player not being concerned about what shape he is leaving for his opponent. Most of his rebounds go right out in front of the net and gives opponents a glorious scoring opportunity. Even routine saves which should be smothered or sent into the corner where they can do no harm turn into a shot at a wide open gaping net.....sickening.

Doom, in your opinion, if the Flyers had a "better" goalie, how god would the defense be?

I'm wondering if Bryz should be bought out at seasons end

At least above average. Timely saves with covering the puck can get line changes. Which is better than getting worn down in your own zone scrambling around because you know if there's a decent shot on goal, it's going in.

• Like 1

When he was brought in, i thought he was going to be the guy. Now he just looks like every other goalie since Hextall. Floudering, inconsistent, MENTAL .....

What a disappointment. I hope they find another direction to go in