It's spelled "defenSeman" people!

trevluk

It's properly spelled defenCeman in Canada. For whatever reason, the spell check thing never likes either spelling.

Not being a smart-a##, just wasn't sure you were aware.

Seriously?? There is no noun in the english language spelled "defence" (only as a verb) so why would the Canadian's spell it that way? Do they call their military budget "defence spending" too? Crazy Canucks!

Seriously?? There is no noun in the english language spelled "defence" (only as a verb) so why would the Canadian's spell it that way? Do they call their military budget "defence spending" too? Crazy Canucks!

Yeah, they actually spell it "defence."

You know, like, "hey, hop over defence and let's go tip us some cows, eh?"

And, "I cut my pantaloons on defence. What's that aboot?"

it's like "Canada" considers themselves another country or something:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/perky-canada-has-own-government-laws,19927/

and, just for the record, dictionary.com has "defence" as a noun, as does thefreedictionary.com, wikipedia and just about every other English-speaking country on the planet.

Because the Canadians (being intelligent people) managed to keep the original English spelling rather than try and invent a new language... ;)

And incidentally given the large de-fence signs held up at most NFL games (with a picture of a fence, not a fense) it's a little ironic that Americans spell it defenseman :)

I wonder how/why we did start spelling it differently. I suppose there's a place to find the etymology online, but I figure if I wait long enough @radoran will find it and post.

No, they call their military budget "American military."

By the way, before I'm crucified, I'm well aware of the Canadian military's tradition and, among other things, Juno Beach. It was just an attempt at an easy joke. No harm intended.

• Like 1

I wonder how/why we did start spelling it differently. I suppose there's a place to find the etymology online, but I figure if I wait long enough @radoran will find it and post.

Probably just to piss off the Brits. That's probably why you guys started driving on the other side of the road. We used to drive on the British side here in Canada up until the 1920s or so, and then we changed over.

Licence is another Brit holdover that we have. You guys use license, right?