Rinaldo - 14 min of ice time vs. jets

off_the_post

Yep. He hasn't been immune of taking the idiotic penalties however you are right - he has toned it down and is being a net positive. I think I've been seeing him block some shots lately too. I was happy to see the empty netter. I thought he would be another Dan Carcillo with better wheels.

@flyercanuck "All the idiotic penalties he took playing here for the Colts, I never thought he could tone it down enough to play in the NHL. He's done a nice job playing his role in Philly"

I was in the same boat. The player I saw in London was not capable of keeping himself in check. I think he's a bit smarter than I gave him credit for. He knew his game had to evolve....ie keep out of the box in key situations and still play on the cusp of unrelenting energy...he has done a great job with that. Any team would be happy to have this guy creating havoc from the 4th line. Look's like he will have a nice long career being a agaitator. The awesome part about Rinaldo is the impact of his hits. He can literally take anybody out at any time with a legal hit, a wicked, wicked thing to have in a seven game series.

A fair number of penalties called against Rinaldo wouldn't be called on 90% of players in the NHL; it goes back to the reputation he had somehow achieved immediately upon entering the league. He has gotten penalties for getting punched and not retaliating, or getting pushed or roughed. Despite zero evidence, the refs think "It's Rinaldo, he MUST have done something to deserve it."

Maybe he if he goes 18 months without eviscerating another player, they will reset the "bad boy" clock to zero.

@off_the_post This is what Lavy should have been doing from the start, having Rinaldo and Harry Z playing way more minutes from the 4th line, rolling all the lines a bit more even AND in the process, creating a natural speed mis-match for a quarter of the game. Esp is they add Welly to the 4th line....starting to think Welly's demotion is more attidtude than anything else, he certainly did not play himself off the squad.

@off_the_post This is what Lavy should have been doing from the start, having Rinaldo and Harry Z playing way more minutes from the 4th line, rolling all the lines a bit more even AND in the process, creating a natural speed mis-match for a quarter of the game. Esp is they add Welly to the 4th line....starting to think Welly's demotion is more attidtude than anything else, he certainly did not play himself off the squad.

Not so fast jammer. Rinaldo just this season showed he is a sane hockey player. Credit to the lockout and Murray in the A.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck "All the idiotic penalties he took playing here for the Colts, I never thought he could tone it down enough to play in the NHL. He's done a nice job playing his role in Philly"

I was in the same boat. The player I saw in London was not capable of keeping himself in check. I think he's a bit smarter than I gave him credit for. He knew his game had to evolve....ie keep out of the box in key situations and still play on the cusp of unrelenting energy...he has done a great job with that. Any team would be happy to have this guy creating havoc from the 4th line. Look's like he will have a nice long career being a agaitator. The awesome part about Rinaldo is the impact of his hits. He can literally take anybody out at any time with a legal hit, a wicked, wicked thing to have in a seven game series.

The key to his success, I think, is not to succumb to the temptation of being *too* emotional to the point where he would stop being an asset and instead self-distract like Carcilo did. I think has enough skills to play a key role if he can show he won't take stupid penalties to put a team in a hole. The guy can deliver vicious, yet clean hits. That's an esset as long as he doesn't lose his cool.

Edited by Mad Dog

@doom88 The more sanity Rinaldo shows, the more his ice time should increase, he makes an impact out there. If he goes back to his old selfish ways, bench him...but I don't see that happening. He wants to play, and he knows how to accompllsh that.

I agree. More Rinaldo!

Anybody notice this today? Anybody notice how late in the game he was playing - presume so with the empty netter. It is clear he is a good skater. I wonder if this is a one time thing or something we will start seeing more of?

His name is well known now. He hunts like a cougar. Bites like a Viper. Leaves the other teams player DNA on the ice and boards. The difference is that he is smarter, and is talking with the referee's. This makes a difference. He could have been pulling a sled and he still would of gotten that empty netter. Broken stick over the crossbar, nice touch of futility..

Maa Booy, Ma Boy! Lil Lindros. Tiny Tocchett. Now you see him people...now you startin' to seee himm....

It's too bad I didn't....missed the game. Woke up this morning and said... Nah, don't wanna waste a couple hours of my day, when I could be doing other things, just like I missed last game. I gave my team no effort, in trying to watch the Panthers game, and they gave no effort either.

I guess they showed up on us today, but I wasn't at the door today to see them. Come back next time and I'll be there to see you....

I showed up to see you and you guys never showed up. Glad to see you guys starting to take it for real.

Lets Go Flyers. Lets get to .500!(.....wow!)

He's really made a lot of progress in his game, not least learning to keep his emotions in check and pick his spots. He's actually been drawing penalties this year by getting under the other team's skin, getting them to do something stupid, and not retaliating. I've also noticed him busting his *ss backchecking and making some smart defensive plays & coverages. And of course he's got great speed.

Gotta love the guy for his effort & heart. I'm looking forward to watching him continue to develop, he's got me wondering how a good a player he can really become.

He needs to fight more...

I like the guy's energy and the hits he delivers. Against florida I thought it was pretty "stonesy" of him to put a shoulder into Parro's chest at center ice

Edited by TheCoach

He also had 12 hits.

12 hits! In one game! And no penalties. I missed the game entirely, but I bet he drew a penalty or two By my count he drew 3 vs the Pens. An agitator who draws penalties,hits everything in sight, can skate and is not making mistakes like Carcillo used to make all mean he's got a job as long as he wants it Love him

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

@Podein25 The Flyers should pick out the other teams top puck moving d-man, and place the puck at his feet whenever Rinaldo is on the ice...make a nice legal hit and just wear the guy out over the course of a game. It does not look like Zac ever slows down or gets tired of hitting, so that's a huge plus for the Flyers....they can employ this type of tactic, and make it very effective.

• Like 1

..the other teams top puck moving d-man, and place the puck at his feet whenever Rinaldo is on the ice...make a nice legal hit and just wear the guy out over the course of a game

I think we come from the same school of thought on how to play the game buddy!

Oh, and run the goalie once in awhile, just to keep him honest

• Like 1

@Podein25 The Flyers should pick out the other teams top puck moving d-man, and place the puck at his feet whenever Rinaldo is on the ice...make a nice legal hit and just wear the guy out over the course of a game. It does not look like Zac ever slows down or gets tired of hitting, so that's a huge plus for the Flyers....they can employ this type of tactic, and make it very effective.

I think this is an excellent "game within the game" strategy. In addition to being damn effective, I think it will also regenrate fan energy in the stands, and at home watching

*grunch*

he's figured out how to goad others into taking the dumb penalties and has really picked his spots well. someone is obviously working with him on this, berube?, and they're doing a fine job. he finally seems to 'get it'... his role with the club. i see a lot of tocchet possibility in him since he is such a good skater. he doesn't have dead hands either.

• Like 2