Pens vs Lightning tonight

Polaris922

I think DB will play musical lines tonight. He'll start out keeping the Dupuis-Crosby-Kunitz line in tact, but I think he'll play around double shifting Crosby with Neal on the wing. I'd love to see Neal'r on Sid's wing alot tonight.

Fleury will probably get the start, played great last game and had a day off yesterday. I think Vokoun won't see time until the next back to back games.

Paul Martin has been stellar the past dozen games. Just scored his third of the year. He looks more like the player we signed than how he performed last year. Ten points in the last eleven games. I know I upset a lot if Flyers fans saying I'd skate him before Timo IF he returned to form, but I thank him for making me right to say that again. The guy has talent.

Niskanen is lighting it up too now that he's back. Already three goals this season in a dozen games. His contributions are noted. He threw a bomb at Markstrom in Friday night's game against the Panthers, and if he keeps shooting that way he'll get a few more till its said and done.

Depres and Bortuzzi has impressed, and Engelland has been steady in his role. The only defenseman who seems to be off lately is Orpik. Here's hoping he gets back on track soon!

Martin is finally becoming the player that we expected, at long last.

Loads of chances so far, the game plan seems to be to get the puck deep in the corners, and from there get it to the high slot for shots. Working well so far.

Like Neal on Sid's wing, Sid can feed the quick passes for Neal's one timers.

Edited by nossagog

Kind of game that worries me come playoff time. Pens started out strong, and played a great first period. Then they started to go into protect the lead mode from that point on, and made it a game. Never take the foot off the gass.

Also, Bolts were playing real hard on the forecheck and out defense kept contiually trying to skate it out through it. Just get the puck out. But their forecheck was much more effective than ours, too many wingers trying to skate through the wall at the opposing blueline instead of dumping it deep and banging away.

A win yes, but a troubling one.

Kind of game that worries me come playoff time. Pens started out strong, and played a great first period. Then they started to go into protect the lead mode from that point on, and made it a game. Never take the foot off the gass.

Also, Bolts were playing real hard on the forecheck and out defense kept contiually trying to skate it out through it. Just get the puck out. But their forecheck was much more effective than ours, too many wingers trying to skate through the wall at the opposing blueline instead of dumping it deep and banging away.

A win yes, but a troubling one.

Well that's not good. I think they'd adjust in a seven game series but I DO hate when they assume that defensive posture BS! It doesn't work for them. They should keep playing to their strengths.

@Polaris922

Beau knows goals (I've been waiting to say that). It was nice to see the kid get his first...albeit 5-3 on a wide open net. Still...hopefully that can get him going AND give the Pens reason to keep him around.

I didn't like stacking the first line. That will work against a poor defensive team like the Bolts but a team with a better D and/or a solid shut down line can neutralize a top line in many instances...even one with Crosby. I liked the idea of sliding Sutter into Malkin's spot on the 2nd line and letting Jeffrey center Cooke and Kennedy.

It's a win though so can't complain too much.

As for Malkin, this feels like de ja vu as far as when the media is reporting and what the Pens are saying/denying. If you go by Bylsma, there was memory loss which has since returned. No more headaches, etc. But...still not making the road trip (wonder if that has anything to do with Sid taking to the friendly skies after the Steckel hit).

Whatever the symptons/level of the concussion, I like resting him for the road trip. They should be able to take 2 of 3 from CAR/MTL/FLA.

Since there's only 3 of you talking to each other I'll chime in. It was a good game in all. The pens played a much more physical game. Two things i noticed. When conicker dumped the puck in and tried to go around letang he was majorly impeded. It was obvious a penalty. Also, when it was 3-2 and the bolts were buzzing guess what happened? A nice little 5 on 3 for your pens. They score and its the game winner. Do they lead the league in 5 on 3's or what? Thats 3 of them in 2 games that I've seen. I smell bs...

Since there's only 3 of you talking to each other I'll chime in. It was a good game in all. The pens played a much more physical game. Two things i noticed. When conicker dumped the puck in and tried to go around letang he was majorly impeded. It was obvious a penalty. Also, when it was 3-2 and the bolts were buzzing guess what happened? A nice little 5 on 3 for your pens. They score and its the game winner. Do they lead the league in 5 on 3's or what? Thats 3 of them in 2 games that I've seen. I smell bs...

Since I'm bored.... ;)

PP Time - PK time...

Flyers + 2:03 (16th)

Pens - 6:18 (21st)

Total PP Time...

Flyers 133:09 (3rd)

Pens 114:37 (14th)

Total PK Time...

Flyers 131:06 (28th)

Pens 120:55 (22nd)

5 on 3 PP Time...

Pens 7:52 (3rd)

Flyers 4:09 (15th)

Lucky for you NHL.com doesn't track 5 on 3 PK time. ;)

Not really seeing the "BS", P-Suck.

My bad. I thought they were leading the leading the league in 5 on 3 pp time. They're only 3rd. Lol

The good news is you guys are up to 110 topics :) way to go

Yeah - gotta love the league helping us out. -6:00 net PP time goes a loooooooong way. ;)

-6 net pp time yet 3rd in the league in 5 on 3s? Check out the success rate btwn 5 on 3 and 5 on 4. You're funny :) :):)

The call to give the Bolts a 5 on 3 was legit... That got them the PP they scored their second goal on.

The call to give the Pens a 5 on 3 was legit... That got us a PP we scored our fourth goal on.

How is there any favoritism if they're the right calls? Yes there were non-calls in both directions. Letang got away with one? And Hedman didn't? Or Carle? So did Engelland...

So what? It happens every game. But it wasn't lopsided and that's what you hope for. Nothing the officials did was game changing. And as a Flyers fan who watched the last game against the Pens, you have no grounds to complain about officiating. Lol

-6 net pp time yet 3rd in the league in 5 on 3s? Check out the success rate btwn 5 on 3 and 5 on 4. You're funny :) :) :)

Yes - the league is clearly showing favoritism towards the Pens by way of us being 3rd in the league in 5 on 3 PP time. Brilliant. :ph34r: Don't be Ted. ;)

I'm beyond Ted. As you can obviously see by my name :)

Not at all. You clearly watch hockey to...well...watch hockey. Ted* obviously spends the game looking for any little call that goes against your boys. If there ain't any, he'll make a few up. ;)

Point 1: Always remember, when watching a hockey game, whatever team you are rooting for, the ref's are against them.

Point 2: Yep, Letang had several occasions where he finished a check on a player late after the got rid of the puck to go around him. Oh well. I would love to see it called more, look at how Tampa lined up its PK along the blue line to prevent anyone entering, bumping most everyone. Players play the game to the ref, ON BOTH TEAMS, if they are not going to call it, then they will push the limits.

Point 3: That gifted 5-3, good first call on Despres for hooking, weak call on Adams for boarding. Oh, wait, you weren't talking about the Tampa 5-3 gifted PP to get them back in the game, you were talking about the Pens 5-3 PP. Oh. :D So Sorry . . . See point 1

Interesting that you thought that the Pens played a physical game though, maybe in the first, but I thought that Tampa brought the hard forecheck in the 2nd and 3rd and was just as physical.

• Like 1