Can Bryz make a big save when needed?

Guest pensuck

A goalie who's signed for that kind of money needs to be just that, money.

Bryzgalov has never been a "money goalie" he's been - once anyway - the beneficiary of a strong, defensive-minded team taking on the Wild's one-line attack in the 1st round of the POs. That's Bryzgalov's claim to fame: his name is on the Cup. Good for him, he deserves it. But...I kinda figure most NHL goalies will have success working behind Pronger, Scott Niedermeyer (the CS winner that year)...having Selanne in his prime...a killer shutdown line...etc. The Ducks were Cup favorites that year for good reason.

I guess I never get tired of ragging on Bryzgalov. (!) Up till a few games ago I couldn't find too much to hate about his game but lately it's the "Bryz" of last year all over again. The sooner we buy out this clown (and lousy goalie) the better.

@flyercanuck

@Mad Dog

Stress is a major factor for MS. Bouts with stress have caused all sorts of havoc on MS patients so there really is a valid concern there. My understanding is the Wild are in a PR nightmare though because if they trade him it looks like they're just tossing him to the wind, so they may have to hold onto him till they see the course of the disease. I'm pretty curious though... there IS no real "treatment" of MS... there are drugs they take as a regular regimen, and physical therapy they undergo to keep their motor skills sharp.. but those are LONG term treatments. I'm very curious as to what this phantom treatment is they keep saying he is taking time off for. My wife has had MS that we know of since '95.... there IS no "treatment".

I'd never heard of a treatment either. Sorry 'bout your wife.

Thanks bud appreciate it. We've adapted. Only brought it up to establish I might actually know something about this topic ;) I do wish him the best, just don't understand the time off.

@Polaris922

Sorry to hear about your wife, Polaris.

You are right... Based on everything I heard, MS is not curable, much like just about every single neurological disease. The goal is to *manage* symptoms the best a doctor/patient can. And I heard the symptoms have a fairly high variability from patient to patient. Some patients hardly notice any effects of MS, while the others struggle severely. I hope your wife belongs to the first group, of course. The good news is that it's not a fatal disease (unlike Lou Gorig's Disease) and with good care, most patients are capable of managing it OK.

It's crazy how good Ray Emery has looked this year. I've watched a couple of games this year that Emery has played and he has absolutely stood on his head a couple games. Just think he used to be a Flyer.

There was no way to know that Emery would ever play hockey again though. The odds were against him. Can't really blame the Flyers for that.

There was no way to know that Emery would ever play hockey again though. The odds were against him. Can't really blame the Flyers for that.

But he had a nice stretch of games!

Imagine if the Flyers had two goalies with something like five consecutive games of shutout time.

Paradise!

I'm not going to read this whole thread because I'm sure it will give me an aneurysm, but to answer the initial question.

Yes, and he makes several a game. But when you're second in the whole league in shots against (Miller is first and having a poor time of it), there's only so many big saves you can make when your team "needs" it all the time.

I don't really care one way or the other about Bryz but I will repeat that Holmgren should be crucified for going into a season like this one with no backup goalie to spot the starter.

• Like 1

Bryz will never succeed in a place like Philadelphia. Plain and simple. He doesn't have the personality to handle the pressure of playing goal for the Flyers. Bryz did well in places like Anaheim and Phoenix because there is no pressure in those markets. As of now he's pretty much forcing the hand of the Flyers to buy him out. As far as I'm concerned the Flyers really need to look around the league for a goalie that is stuck behind someone that's a starter. Much like Ottawa did with Bishop. They got the guy for a pick. The guy is lights out.

Disagree.

First, Anaheim has good fans, as do the Kings. Having lived out here for over 20 years, I can attest to that. Not saying that they are as rabid as us Flyers fans, but who is? They pack their arenas out & support the team. What they don't have is the idiot negadelphia sports media, but that's a good thing.

The main difference is that in Anaheim & PHX Bryz played on teams that played solid defense. His Anaheim teams had a blueline corps anchored by Pronger & Neidermeyer, along with Beauchemin and others. They didn't hang their goalies out to dry on a regular basis like this Flyers team does. The up-tempo, agressive style of Lavy's system would probably make Peka Rinne look like, well, Bryz.

• Like 3

@Polaris922

Sorry to hear about your wife, Polaris.

You are right... Based on everything I heard, MS is not curable, much like just about every single neurological disease. The goal is to *manage* symptoms the best a doctor/patient can. And I heard the symptoms have a fairly high variability from patient to patient. Some patients hardly notice any effects of MS, while the others struggle severely. I hope your wife belongs to the first group, of course. The good news is that it's not a fatal disease (unlike Lou Gorig's Disease) and with good care, most patients are capable of managing it OK.

Thanks MD... Unfortunately that's not her case, but we adapt. I just don't know what they could be doing for him other than time off to adjust mentally to it. The whole scenario is just strange to me. If he's progressed to where he needs time off physically then he most likely won't be back. There are flare ups of course, but physical disabilities the disease brings on are irreversible. Guess we'll just wait to hear the rest of his story.

• Like 2

Disagree.

First, Anaheim has good fans, as do the Kings. Having lived out here for over 20 years, I can attest to that. Not saying that they are as rabid as us Flyers fans, but who is? They pack their arenas out & support the team. What they don't have is the idiot negadelphia sports media, but that's a good thing.

The main difference is that in Anaheim & PHX Bryz played on teams that played solid defense. His Anaheim teams had a blueline corps anchored by Pronger & Neidermeyer, along with Beauchemin and others. They didn't hang their goalies out to dry on a regular basis like this Flyers team does. The up-tempo, agressive style of Lavy's system would probably make Peka Rinne look like, well, Bryz.

I would have to disagree with you on Lavy's system. The problem with Bryz is he is not making the routine save right now. Peka Rinne steals games for the Predators. That's the BIG difference.

As far as Anaheim, been there. They have a good fan base but there is nowhere near the pressure their compared to big market and Canadian teams. Used to live down there and finding hockey news in the papers is tough to do. The Flyers made a big mistake on Bryz. All they had to do was watch the playoff tapes from his Phoenix years. Nothing has really changed.

Disagree.

So let me ask everyone this... How much do you think Pronger may have been consulted before signing Bryz to this contract? I bet they at least asked his opinion of Bryz...

I would have to disagree with you on Lavy's system. The problem with Bryz is he is not making the routine save right now. Peka Rinne steals games for the Predators. That's the BIG difference.

As far as Anaheim, been there. They have a good fan base but there is nowhere near the pressure their compared to big market and Canadian teams. Used to live down there and finding hockey news in the papers is tough to do. The Flyers made a big mistake on Bryz. All they had to do was watch the playoff tapes from his Phoenix years. Nothing has really changed.

He was playing better. I'm telling you the guy has been overworked by a coach with no other options. He's tanked and it's only going to get worse.

So let me ask everyone this... How much do you think Pronger may have been consulted before signing Bryz to this contract? I bet they at least asked his opinion of Bryz...

Nobody knows of course, but from the other moves I've seen in the past, I highly doubt they consulted with ANYbody. The Flyers, as an organization, are too arrogant to consult with others. They seem to trust their scouts like a priest and they *think* they know everything.

This particular case was actually quite simple. The Old Man said he wants Bryzgalov. And Homgren simply went out and did what he was told to do. And how much do you want to bet that The Old Man did zero consulting?