Is it time to trade Timonen and Briere?

flyercanuck

I really don't think with the D we have and the joke in net that this team is going to do any damage in the postseason, IF they make it.

Maybe it's time for management to sit down with two of our elder players about waiving their NTCs come trade deadline and see if we can get a couple of 1st round picks in what looks to be a pretty good draft. Both Timonen and Briere could be very valuable to a team that feels it's a crafty vet on D or a proven playoff scorer away from being a contender. What do you guys think?

• Like 2

I really don't think with the D we have and the joke in net that this team is going to do any damage in the postseason, IF they make it.

Maybe it's time for management to sit down with two of our elder players about waiving their NTCs come trade deadline and see if we can get a couple of 1st round picks in what looks to be a pretty good draft. Both Timonen and Briere could be very valuable to a team that feels it's a crafty vet on D or a proven playoff scorer away from being a contender. What do you guys think?

Well ever since his stellar playoff preformance right or wrong i have been less inclined to move Briere...well i have now changed my mind it is time to build for next year because with Bryz see saw performances(yes i know he is not alone but it starts with him) this team will not make the playoffs.

Kimmo i would keep just because they have nothing in the cupboard and would wait to maybe trade him at the dead line next year.

But Danny needs to go...he no longer brings anything to this team...if anything else he use to be deadly around and behind the net...well that isn't the case anymore...buh bye Danny...take Knuble and Fedostinko with you.

Feds can only find the back of the net against the Flyers crappy goaltenders......verse a real goaltenders he is stoned!

Bryz is my only buy out candidate...as of now unless Danny won't cooperate then he is #2!

Edited by OccamsRazor

travelling today, how bad was it ?

i saw the first couple of minutes on nbc sports the flyers were buzzing what happend. ?

i would say , if you can improve the team with those trades it is time to consider making it happen. the nmc makes it tough though. i'm not in the sam donellon boat , i think these guys are experiencing growth and will be bette for the struggles of his year, we're asking a lot of these second year players so i think in the next season we'll start to see the consistency. if we can find some blueliners to grow with them ... and ed snider passes away we'll be okay

Flyercanuck:

This is a good question and thread, if only because decisions on "stay the course versus blow-up" will come sooner rather than later in a shortened season. I say yes to parting with both of them. Sadly, I really wonder what we will get at this juncture. Briere's skills seem to be sapped and he gets knocked off the puck. Timonen's contract means he ain't a cheapie rental (thanks Homer).

Peace,

Howie

FC, I'd trade Briere and if he doesn't want to go you tell him that he will be bought out this summer, the Flyers can use the $6.5 million cap space somewhere else. As for Timonen, I'd hold onto him since they're thin on the defensive side.

• Like 1

Part of the Flyers problem is expecting too much from the youngsters.....we should keep Danny n Timo for the vetern experience they bring....both shine in the playoffs....and no one is giving up first-rounders for them....and I doubt teams will give up major young talent.....all I hear is "We miss Prongs,we miss Jagr"....we cant gut the team of 2 more vets....Keep both of them!!

Edited by Vegas Flyer

Timonen just re-signed with a NMC for his last season in the NHL. What are the realistic options of him waiving?

Briere is the roomie mentor of both Giroux and Couturier and I would not at all discount the Francophone aspect of it all. What are the realistic options of him waiving?

Now, assuming this is more than a completely academic discussion, is it a good move for the Flyers?

Depends on the returns. Trade anyone for the right deal.

And sometimes the best deal is the deal you don't make.

I don't think either is worth too much right now. Timo isn't what many of you think and his stars this year are proving it. Briere is a great playoff performer but teams aren't really shopping for that quite yet. Maybe as we near the playoff picture that will change but right now you're definitely not getting number one picks or top prospects for either of them. V

I would be pretty much on board with this, especially considering this season is pretty much a write-off for the Flyers, as much as I hate to admit it. The only issue I have with getiing rid of the two veterans is a sudden creation of a void in leadership and mentorship. And the truth being told, Dannyboy is still capable of producing quite favorably. Taking teh last season as an example, I really attriubte a lot of Giroux' growth and emergence of Couturier to Jagr and the role he played in mentoring these young players. That's why I still think getting rid of him was beyond stupid, but that's a different subject.

If we somehow can find two decent d-men in the off-seaon or via trades so Timo would not have to log so many heavy minutes, he could really be good in a role of mentor. And he *does* have a lot to pass on to the young defensemen.

F Briere. Seriously, he only decides to excel in the post season? What leadership is he providing? Maybe telling young French speaking Canadians that they must watch his kids while he goes out on the town? Or the example he provides is play small until the playoffs?

We have a Captain and it is his team, let him lead by example and send Danny and his contract back to Buffalo.

Did I miss something? Did Holmgren really give Timonen an extension for $6 million? WTF?????

Can the guy not look at his own track record with over 30 year old signings and say "I don't have a clue what I'm doing". Briere turned out to be good for a few years, as much as I hated the signing, but is way overpaid now. Pronger was basically a bust (4 - 1st round picks for one playoff run) Lilja, Knuble, F-E-D-O-T-E-N-K-O? Yuck, yuck, yuck. Leighton? Double yuck. Jagr was good as a mentor but faded quickly when it counted. The Bryz signing was, is, and always will be horrendous.

I get we can use a vet like Kimmo on defence...but he's worth about $4 mil a year...not SIX! I thought his contract was expiring after this season, making him more valuable to a trade partner. I doubt he waives the NMC if he just signed it as Rad mentions.

Briere is really looking like a negative impact as far as his veteran presence goes. Stupid penalties, no finish, terrible without the puck and huge paycheck doesn't exactly say "Get on my back". Neither Giroux nor Couturier were born in Quebec, so they've been around English their entire lives. If they want to "Polly-voo some frawnsays" they've got Talbot...and Boucher ; ) . Brieres previous playoffs may warrant some interest from a contender needing scoring...IF he'd waive.

The upcoming draft runs pretty deep with talent. Clarke made a smart move trading Daymond Langkow for a 1st (Carter) in the last draft that was over a round deep. If your team isn't doing anything, this is a good year to sell for picks. Losing twice in a couple of weeks to the only team that hasn't made the playoffs in TWO lockouts is a pretty good barometer...we aren't that good.

I don't think either is worth too much right now. Timo isn't what many of you think and his stars this year are proving it. Briere is a great playoff performer but teams aren't really shopping for that quite yet. Maybe as we near the playoff picture that will change but right now you're definitely not getting number one picks or top prospects for either of them. V

Timo has always flown under the radar. He's never made the flashy plays of a Letang. He also didn't turn the puck over or dive like him. His good or bad has never stood out like some others.

You can say you're not getting a 1st for either all you want. Would you give up Seguin, hamilton and Knight for Kessel? Who would? How about an early 1st for Varlamov? 8th overall (Couturier) AND Voracek for Carter? I could obviously go on and on. It depends on what a gm feels his teams need is to win a cup. If you feel you're one piece away to go all the way, you make the deal. I doubt Lombardi wanted to part with Simmonds OR Schenn. He took a chance and it paid off.

• Like 1

Timo has always flown under the radar. He's never made the flashy plays of a Letang. He also didn't turn the puck over or dive like him. His good or bad has never stood out like some others.

You can say you're not getting a 1st for either all you want. Would you give up Seguin, hamilton and Knight for Kessel? Who would? How about an early 1st for Varlamov? 8th overall (Couturier) AND Voracek for Carter? I could obviously go on and on. It depends on what a gm feels his teams need is to win a cup. If you feel you're one piece away to go all the way, you make the deal. I doubt Lombardi wanted to part with Simmonds OR Schenn. He took a chance and it paid off.

The key to your statement is HAS... Kimo HAS been a lot of things, including a good defenseman, but he's not mobile or offensively potent anymore. THAT's my point, is that you can't trade him for what he was but only what he is. Howson isn't a GM anymore, and the only other GM making those kinds of trades for guys edging retirement is your own.

Like I said Briere MAY draw some attention at the deadline, but not till then. Not for first rounders anyway.

@Polaris922

The trade deadline (which I did mention as the time to deal) makes plenty of gms go crazy. You see a rival stock up, you'd better do something to stay even. It happens every year. And it isn't just Holmgren and Howson doing it. Unless I'm missing something and they're making 20 trades to each other every year.

Kimmo not worth a 1st?! Let me get this straight. A puck moving vet with offensive awareness not worth a 1st? I can name 20 teams that would be in that race till the deadline. More teams higher the bid. His contract can be bought out if need be for the following season. Briere ? He is not playing center. His lack of scoring is the side effect. He also would get a 1st rounder. He is money come playoffs. I could see Detroit pushing hard for kimmo. I can see Boston pushing hard for briere.

The key to your statement is HAS... Kimo HAS been a lot of things, including a good defenseman, but he's not mobile or offensively potent anymore. THAT's my point, is that you can't trade him for what he was but only what he is. Howson isn't a GM anymore, and the only other GM making those kinds of trades for guys edging retirement is your own.

Like I said Briere MAY draw some attention at the deadline, but not till then. Not for first rounders anyway.

You trade Briere at the deadline, heck if Buffalo can trade Paul Gaustad and get a first rounder than the Flyers should be able to get a first rounder for Briere considering his playoff record. And if he doesn't work out than it would only cost probably $3 million to buy him out since in makes a combined $5 million in real money in the last two years of his contract.

Kimmo not worth a 1st?! Let me get this straight. A puck moving vet with offensive awareness not worth a 1st? I can name 20 teams that would be in that race till the deadline. More teams higher the bid. His contract can be bought out if need be for the following season. Briere ? He is not playing center. His lack of scoring is the side effect. He also would get a 1st rounder. He is money come playoffs. I could see Detroit pushing hard for kimmo. I can see Boston pushing hard for briere.

No he's not worth a first. You guys consistently overrate Kimo Timonen based upon his past, not his present. Your sentimentality with him gets in the way of seeing what he IS instead of what he WAS. I liked the guy, as I've said, but look at his stats. 4 goals last year, all on the power play, on one of the most productive power plays in the league. 39 assists... again the majority of which came on the power play. Great total points, but take him away from Giroux and Jagr and what do you have? A plus 8 defender on the second most potent offense in the league. He's lost his speed and mobility, and young forwards are just going around him. He's a positional defenseman, without the skating mobility to get into position as well as he used to.

Is he a great veteran presence on your team? Absolutely... Can he teach Schenn and other young defensemen the position and mentality? Absolutely... but can he perform well enough that reasonable clubs are going to pay premium for him? He has 2 PP goals and 11 assists in 21 games.. at a +1. Take the name and the jersey off of him.. let's say he's Bob Smith who plays for Phoenix.... are you going to trade your number one pick for that?! Anybody who says yes is again looking through the crystal ball at his past, not his future. And at $6 mill for the year next year? No way!

I agree that Briere MAY draw a first rounder but only close to the trading deadline when somebody feels he is the playoff performer that will push them to the Cup.

Edited by Polaris922