Pens sign Eaton

Guest Polaris922

To be honest, although I love the way that Despres plays, I think that another year in the AHL would be better for him. He tries to be too cute in his own zone, and I don't think he realizes how quick the forecheckers are in the NHL.

Bortozzo I think is more NHL ready as a solid defensive player and more physical.

It does no good having these guys sit in the press box watching the games, they need experience. If they add Eaton for depth(hey Mark, sit over there in case anyone gets hurt) so be it, but the young guys needs games at any level right not so they can improve their games.

Bring in Eaton as the 7/8 defense, let Despres get all the time he needs with the Baby Pens. That's my guess, but I've been know to be wrong.

I think your gm has been smart AND patient. You guys are loaded with defensive depth. But they are also in one of the most susceptible positions to be effected by confidence. Slow and steady works for me when it comes to D as far as development goes. For every Letang or Karlsson there are plenty who bust from being brought along too quickly. See history of Flyers.

I don't mind him as that, just don't want our young guys sitting or moving down over him.

But there's the rub, if everyone is healthy, either Despres or Bortozzo will be sitting in the press box. Better to get one of them regular minutes in the AHL rather than sitting in the NHL. Both do not have to clear waivers, so there is no risk of losing them. Use Eaton as the 7th defenseman that can sit in the box unless at all costs is needed. Make sure that the young guys are playing games, at either level, to gain the necessary experience.

@nossagog

I'd just worry about stunting his growth or confidence keeping him down there when he's playing so well up here, you know? I guess it comes down to what Shero thinks is best... and I'm not sure more games at a lower level or fewer games at the higher level... maybe they send Depres down and call him up if someone gets injured like you said.

@Polaris922

I think that a few games against teams like the Bruins, Habs Flyers and such who are going to be the tale of the tape. If they can handle the constant pressure from the forecheck an make the right decisions, sure they're ready. But I still think that if one of them is going to constantly sit in the press box, they'd be better off playing in the AHL.

• Like 1