Briere Not Interested in Waiving NMC

radoran

http://www.philly.co...of_address.html

This is my shocked face :ph34r:

THE FLYERS have never been confused as a patient, let's play-our-way-out-of-it franchise.

Paul Holmgren's hands were tied Tuesday. Matt Read is on the shelf for another 5 weeks with torn rib muscles. Tye McGinn will miss at least the next 2 weeks with a fractured orbital bone, suffered on Monday.

Simon Gagne, obtained Tuesday in a trade with Los Angeles, is not a permanent fix. He is a player who, when healthy, may be better than even the Flyers are expecting. He will provide a temporary stopgap in Peter Laviolette's lineup.

If the Wells Fargo Center press-box seating chart is any indication, Holmgren has been working the phones like a mad man. There were 21 scouts at Monday night's loss to Toronto, representing 15 clubs, including the general managers of Winnipeg and St. Louis.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Nothing is burning with the Jets. Their general manager, Kevin Cheveldayoff, and his executive staff showed up Monday only because their team was still on the East Coast after Saturday's contest in Philly.

The Blues are a different story. General manager Doug Armstrong visited Philadelphia for the second time in three home games, and also caught the Flyers in Toronto on Feb. 11.

Briere, 35, is one player who isn't going anywhere. The Flyers have not asked Briere to waive his no-trade clause, and it isn't clear whether they're interested in moving him, but he provided an answer Tuesday.

Briere has a full no-movement clause - meaning he can't even be sent to the minors without his permission - and will not waive it to be dealt to any team in the NHL, regardless of destination.

"I don't want to comment on anything at this point," Briere told the Daily News. "Trades are not my department. I've been a Flyer for a long time. My heart belongs in Philadelphia with the Flyers. I can't see myself playing anywhere else."

Briere makes sense for a lot of reasons for a team like St. Louis - and even for the Flyers to be intrigued enough to move him. Currently, Briere isn't the type of player who will get a team into the playoffs, but getting there isn't likely the problem for the Blues. (They could use a boost up front, especially after Andy McDonald left practice Tuesday with an injury.)

He's still the NHL's most clutch performer, with 109 points in 108 career playoff games. In 68 playoff games with the Flyers, Briere has 37 goals and 35 assists.

Blues coach Ken Hitchcock probably has a hard time forgetting Briere's playoff magic from 2005-06, when Briere's Buffalo team knocked off the Flyers in six games. After winning a tough Central Division last season, St. Louis was swept in the second round by Los Angeles.

Most important, for a franchise like St. Louis where finances matter, Briere's $6.5 million cap hit does not match his remaining salary. He is owed $3 million next season and $2 million in 2014-15.

Understandably, Briere doesn't have interest in moving. This isn't a rental situation, where he'd only have to gut it out this season before becoming a free agent. His family is rooted here, including his three hockey-mad sons, Caelan, Carson and Cameron. He earned his right to veto any future deal when signing his 8-year, $52 million pact to join the Flyers in 2007.

The Flyers are interested in Blues blue-liner Kevin Shattenkirk, but it would take a lot more than Briere to pry him. Shattenkirk, 24, is second in team scoring with 15 points in 18 games.

For a 9-11-1 Flyers team seemingly begging for a major shakeup to get in gear, any attempt to move Briere will not be the answer. Despite questions Tuesday wondering if Peter Laviolette's message is still getting through, Holmgren appears married to his coach.

Laviolette is seventh in franchise history with 242 games behind the Flyers' bench, but can shoot up to third if he hangs for the next 27 games. That would tell you he is at a breaking point many others haven't survived.

A trade might make more sense. Holmgren admitted Tuesday the Flyers have holes in their lineup - and that's due to both injuries and performance. It will take moving a key piece to get one in return. Adding Gagne bought Holmgren breathing room. For now.

I read that this morning as well... I like Briere a lot and he seems to be a genuine class act. What I dont like is his declining play and his contract that goes along with it. They need him during the regular season just to have any hopes of making the playoffs...

• Like 1

I'm not surprised either. How surprising that the two really bad parts of that contract - the NMC and the 8 year length - prevent us from making our team better.

Guess he becomes a buy-out candidate then. Homer may lose out on guys like Shattenkirk or Myers because of bad contracts.

I'm not surprised either. How surprising that the two really bad parts of that contract - the NMC and the 8 year length - prevent us from making our team better.

Guess he becomes a buy-out candidate then. Homer may lose out on guys like Shattenkirk or Myers because of bad contracts.

True, but without the length, the NMC and the front-loaded nature of the deal, would they have had Conn Smythe candidate Danny Briere for their incredible, zomg, amazalendous Cup Final run.

So we got that going for us.

I don't see them buying him out until after 2014 - for the final year of the deal at a low buyout number to open space for Giroux/BSchenn/Couturier.

Why are the fifth place Blues interested in dealing Shettenkirk?

Why would the Sabres deal Myers after firing Ruff for hurting his development? (oh, right... Regier...)

Sadly, I think you are right. I know people complain about Bryz's contract but #48 is ludicrous IMO. Nice player that performs in the playoffs. Other than the playoffs he is inconsistent and has not put up the #s to warrant that type of money...

Briere is on for $7M this season and makes $3M next and $2M in 14-15.

Remember, this was a deal that "had to be made" and the Flyers actually got the best of the "three must have #1 Cs" that year.

Just think, if they hadn't made that signing that they "had to make" the Flyers might not have won a Cup with Briere.

Oh, wait... :ph34r:

• Like 1

@murraycraven

Agreed. I think tonight we'll see Briere reunited with Gagne. Maybe we'll see some magic there, who knows? I am not holding my breath, but if nothing happens regarding his performance he is as good as bought out, and he knows this.

Question is, if he is bought out does he accept another teams offer or does he retire?

@radoran

Nothing in that article said that he won't waive his NMC.

He said all the right things to a reporter but never said he "Won't waive his NMC."

Didn't say "won't" said "not interested."

I'm sure they will sit him down and explain that they don't want him anymore and then the Flyers will get a huge return on him :ph34r:

True, but without the length, the NMC and the front-loaded nature of the deal, would they have had Conn Smythe candidate Danny Briere for their incredible, zomg, amazalendous Cup Final run.

Sure... a 4 year deal would have done the trick. Even a 6 year deal like Timo's would have been reasonable (albeit too long for my tastes).

I don't see them buying him out until after 2014 - for the final year of the deal at a low buyout number to open space for Giroux/BSchenn/Couturier.

A low buyout number and still part of the compliance buyouts, so no lingering cap hit.

Why are the fifth place Blues interested in dealing Shettenkirk?

Why would the Sabres deal Myers after firing Ruff for hurting his development? (oh, right... Regier...)

You know what? I have no idea, but the article mentioned Shattenkirk, so I went with it :)

As for Myers, from a few articles I've read, they don't list Myers as untouchable. Miller and Vanek are the untouchables. I think they may be a bit disappointed in Myers' development, kinda like us with JVR. He started off strong and has declined steadily ever since. He is also a soft player, and those kinds of players usually get crapped on in Philly. He might develop more of a mean streak as he gets older and more meat on his frame.

But he will be a star in this league, and I would take him.

I don't think that the Flyers "get" Briere with a 4-year deal.

they didn't pay him $26M in the first four years, they paid him $33M

Agreed that that a $2M buyout in Y8 of the deal works for both sides.

I'd deal for Myers, but think Buffalo is looking for a lot in return.

• Like 1

Didn't say "won't" said "not interested."

I'm sure they will sit him down and explain that they don't want him anymore and then the Flyers will get a huge return on him :ph34r:

I don't put much past Homer after the Carter/Richards thing.

It doesn't seem so far fetch to sit Danny B down and try to convince him to accept a trade because he is being bought out this summer anyway.

@Digityman

I don't think they can resign him at a lower rate until after one year or a full season passes. In other words, the Flyers buy him out in 2013, they couldn't re-sign him until the end of 2014. At that point he'll be nearing 37. No thanks.

From LeBrun:

"COMPLIANCE BUYOUTS

Teams will be allowed up to two buyouts over the next two summers -- 2013 and 2014 -- either one in each summer or two in one summer and none in the other. The new detail here that I found interesting is that any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team during the upcoming season, not by waivers, not by trade and not by free-agent signing.

Obvious reason here: The league doesn't want teams to cheat the system and get a player back under a cheaper salary (since the buyout doesn’t count against the salary cap)."

I don't put much past Homer after the Carter/Richards thing.

It doesn't seem so far fetch to sit Danny B down and try to convince him to accept a trade because he is being bought out this summer anyway.

Not far fetched at all, if they go that route. I just don't expect them to buy him out after this season.

And Briere could easily say "no, thanks, I'll stay here and you get nothing for buying me out."

I don't think that the Flyers "get" Briere with a 4-year deal.

Yes, I agree with this. He would not have signed a 4-year deal. But as a GM, what is more important? Sticking to your terms (within reasonable negotiation, of course), or capitulating to player demand/market frenzy and hand out a bad contract?

One of an NMC or an 8 year term would already be MUCH MUCH better than both. Together, they handcuff a team.

I'd deal for Myers, but think Buffalo is looking for a lot in return.

From one rumour, apparently it is Couturier + draft pick, or Cousins, Laughton, + draft pick.

Neither of those scenarios get us the required salary trade off to fit a guy like Myers under the cap. Briere would.

@radoran

"And Briere could easily say "no, thanks, I'll stay here and you get nothing for buying me out."

I know it sounds petty, but he can watch the game from the pressbox with Shelly for the remainder of his career if he goes that route.

Sure, but you don't have that leverage. You've just told the player you are buying him out after this season. You will now have absolutely no control over where the player plays or how often. You are telling the player you need him to do something to benefit you and he has to do something he isn't inclined to do as part of the deal.

Wouldn't surprise me if the player says "yeah, I don't think I'll do something nice for you in return for you kicking me to the curb."

Sure, sit Briere for the end of this season. You're only paying him $7M. That'll learn him.

From one rumour, apparently it is Couturier + draft pick, or Cousins, Laughton, + draft pick.

Neither of those scenarios get us the required salary trade off to fit a guy like Myers under the cap. Briere would.

Actually, I think either do, as long as Leighton remains injured. Flyers have "banked" 1.4+ million in cap space up to this point, and are using up about 2.2 million in LTIR with the Gagne acquisition. Pronger, Leighton, and Walker get you a total of 7.5 million, so they have roughly 9 million in available cap space + LTIR. Gagne at 3.5 and Myers at 5.5 eats all of it up, though if nothing goes the other way.

That said, why would Buffalo want Briere? They're at the bottom of the East. I could see a contender wanting to pick him up for the playoffs (ie the Blues, though I couldn't see them sending Shattenkirk), but not Buffalo. Of course, things can change quickly with the still fairly low point totals and the magnified effects of hot and cold streaks this season.

@radoran

"Sure, sit Briere for the end of this season. You're only paying him $7M. That'll learn him."

I think it would in the sense that he would never play professional hockey again. However, that is just a petty scenario that would never happen.

In my opinion, Briere would waive to go to the right team. St. Louis is not the right team. I'd rather skate for Stalin than play for Ken Hitchcock. Or that seems to be the general consensus around the league.

@radoran

"Sure, sit Briere for the end of this season. You're only paying him $7M. That'll learn him."

I think it would in the sense that he would never play professional hockey again. However, that is just a petty scenario that would never happen.

You don't have control over whether he plays professional hockey again if you buy him out.

And if you don't buy him out, you're stuck with a $6.5M cap hit and a disgruntled player that, in your scenario, is a $6.5M press box cap hit for the next two seasons.

The Flyers *do* have some leverage, but the final call is Briere's. That means the team doesn't have the ability to find the "best" deal but is limited to deals to teams that Briere agrees to go to.

Actually, I think either do, as long as Leighton remains injured. Flyers have "banked" 1.4+ million in cap space up to this point, and are using up about 2.2 million in LTIR with the Gagne acquisition. Pronger, Leighton, and Walker get you a total of 7.5 million, so they have roughly 9 million in available cap space + LTIR. Gagne at 3.5 and Myers at 5.5 eats all of it up, though if nothing goes the other way.

Yeah, maybe it does. I'm not sure how LTIR works. I was always under the impression that it's not cap space but rather allows you to replace the injured player and exceed the cap limit up to the injured player's salary.

So, LTIR gives us no benefit when we're cap compliant. But say we are at $1M below the cap, and try to fit Gagne's $3.5M salary. By moving Pronger to LTIR, you're now allowed to exceed the cap by $4.9M, giving you approximately $5.9M in 'room' to find a replacement.

With the Gagne example, that means we would exceed the cap by $2.5M, which is ok thanks to Pronger being LTIR. But I always thought that's where it ends... in other words, that doesn't mean we still have the other $2.4M of Pronger's salary to use up. The 'space' has been used to replace Pronger with Gagne.

I could be way off though... I've never been super clear on LTIR allowance.

@radoran

I think I basically said in my last post that it was an unlikely scenario, but not far fetched... remember the Lindros debacle?

In any case, don't over think it. My take is Briere will be bought out or traded before the end of his current contract. The question is where will he end up?

@radoran

I think I basically said in my last post that it was an unlikely scenario, but not far fetched... remember the Lindros debacle?

In any case, don't over think it. My take is Briere will be bought out or traded before the end of his current contract. The question is where will he end up?

I've said many times in this very thread - and others - that I expect them to buy him out after next season.

I just don't expect the Flyers to pick up anything in exchange for that.

Happy to be wrong.