Briere question

Jmdodgesrt4

Now how the cba is set up the flyers can't buy briere out at end of season and resign him to a friendly contract. However here lies the question......can the flyers,with Danny accepting, a trade to let's say Boston. Now lets say they have a verbal agreement between all parties that after the season is over Boston buys him out and then resigns in philly for a cap friendly deal. Now I'm not saying I want Danny here next year. I rather have young players or perry signed in offseason. However if philly can grab a 1st rounder or good prospect in return for Danny ,why not.? But does that violate cba.

That's a good question. I guess the Flyers could send Danny B + cash for buyout in return for a pick/prospect.

I'm not sure how that would work.

Let's just use Boston as an example.

Danny + $3.3m for buyout to Boston

1st round pick + prospect to Flyers

I'm not sure you can contractually stipulate that Danny B must be bought out by the Bruins after the season....

Plus if the Bruins do the actual buyout, they would have an additional cap hit for two years as it looks below.

post-3-0-87623900-1361986250_thumb.jpg

source

Why is Boston going to give up an asset (1st rounder?) so that the Flyers could re-sign Briere at a lower number?

Boston, as I see it, has no interest in giving the Flyers a pick this season AND the player next season.

I could also see the League having a meltdown over something like this.

Not to mention, Briere's reluctance to waive his NMC.

I have no evidence to support this, but I would be shocked if the CBA did not specify that teams could only buy out players who they had under contract at the time the CBA went into effect. Otherwise you open things up to all manner of sneaky shenanigans like this.

There's nothing that I'm aware of. But there's also no real need to make that under the table deal with another team. Trade him to a team that you know, win or lose in the POs, will have to buy him out or be over the cap next year. Then, if you really want to, bring him back at reduced salary. Assuming he'll accept the trade.

• Like 1

I guess the Flyers could send Danny B + cash for buyout in return for a pick/prospect.

Are teams allowed to trade cash now? Seriously asking because I'm not at all familiar with the new CBA, but I didn't *think* they were permitted in the previous one.

Are teams allowed to trade cash now? Seriously asking because I'm not at all familiar with the new CBA, but I didn't *think* they were permitted in the previous one.

I believe teams can pick up a portion of the cap hit. If Briere doesn't want to waive his nmc then inform him that he'll be bought out at year-end because the Flyers can use the $6.5 million cap hit elsewhere. He's 35 and on the decline, I understand he wants to stay here for his kids but he has to realize it's a business. So if he wants a chance to win a cup then he should think about waiving his nmc.

The cap hit though wouldn't happen. Remember each team has two compliance buyouts without cap penalty.

Pretty sure that the cap hit for the next season still stands as-is. If not for that, we might have seen more of these buy-out deals. It really doesn't help the team to do it, at least not for a year or two.

Compliance buyouts eliminate the cap hit - they're specifically meant to help teams get below the lower cap ceiling.

The thing we saw with Gomez and Redden was a team accelerating it to prevent them from just sitting a player all season, since an injured player can't be bought out.

• Like 1