Simple - GF/GA

BearOnIce

This states it in absolute simplicity, as stats usually do:

In the East, Flyers have 60GF. That puts them only behind Tampa with 70GF and Pittsburgh with 69GF. They are Top 3. Seems like offence is not the problem.

In the East, Flyers have 66GA. That puts them as one of the three worst ahead of Florida with 69GA and Islanders with 68GA. There is no Top 8 East Playoff Team Eight now with worst that 60GA. In fact Boston is insane with 41GA.

The case? Flyers need defence and a goalie. Simple. That is where the focus should be. Forget everything else.

Is this oversimplification? I don't know. You tell me.

This states it in absolute simplicity, as stats usually do:

In the East, Flyers have 60GF. That puts them only behind Tampa with 70GF and Pittsburgh with 69GF. They are Top 3. Seems like offence is not the problem.

In the East, Flyers have 66GA. That puts them as one of the three worst ahead of Florida with 69GA and Islanders with 68GA. There is no Top 8 East Playoff Team Eight now with worst that 60GA. In fact Boston is insane with 41GA.

The case? Flyers need defence and a goalie. Simple. That is where the focus should be. Forget everything else.

Is this oversimplification? I don't know. You tell me.

Correction: Boston 35GA.

The GF/GA doesn't completely tell the story. They may be statistically top 3 in GF but when you factor in the fact that they have played more games and a couple games where they scored 6+ goals (Panthers, Isles, Pens) its not as if the goals have come consistently. In 12 games this year they have scored 2 or less goals. It also helps that their PP has crept into the top 10 after a very disappointing start. In the beginning of the season the goals were lacking and the goalie was good and the D was adequate. Recently the offense has opened up and the goaltending has been inconsistent and the D continues to have bad breakdowns. If the Flyers can start getting off to better starts and playing 60 minutes and get the goaltending, defense, and offense playing consistently they will make the playoffs.

@PhilsFanDrew " In 12 games this year they have scored 2 or less goals."

I agree, the goals are there for the season, but those 12 games show inconsistancy. Betcha the Flyers got scored against first in most of those games, which leads to the real problem....the slow lethgaric starts to the periods. That's coaching.