Can it be...a Healthy Scratch from Babcock?

SpikeDDS

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the headline: Ian White is a Healthy Scratch. Not because I necessarily think that there are players who might deserve it more than White does. That may or may not be true as far as the D goes.

But I've gotta say that I LIKE this move by Babcock. I think Ian White is not the only player that is surprised with this move, and I'm thinking that its gonna put the fear of Scratch into some of these players, and hopefully White himself too. "If Babs'll sit White, am I next?" This should b good for some of our veteran players who haven't been pulling their weight. It should ALSO give our young kids some hope to motivate them to push their game. This shows opportunity is available if they earn it.

IMHO, this is LONG overdue, and it's good to see. I understand Babs is trying to focus on solutions and positives, but you cannot neglect discipline. I think this kind of discipline has been missing for some time on this team, and I think it's high time Babcock stated to use the press box as a tool.

As he likes to say, "Good for us."

Wonder if Babcock has been reading my posts! :-)

• Like 2

Ian White is a heckova tough little d-man with some offensive acumen. He has been off this year, a step slower, a little more tentative. Last year playing minutes with Lidstrom gave him confidence. This year it seems to have faded. With both Smith and Quincey back in the lineup tonight giving White a mental health night off before taking on his former team tomorrow night is a good idea.

Gotta say that last night's game was, IMHO the first true 60-minute effort (plus OT no less) that I have seen from the Wings this season. Gus was solid in net. There were only a few errors on D, which Gus was able to handle except by the goal from Couture (he's a great player). We had some net presence. It was a very evenly-matched game. Neither team played poorly. It is excellent to see for these Wings, especially since they played the night before. Not much letdown in the 3rd like has been too often the story with this year's squad.

Oh, and very few penalties in this game. ALSO good to see. I thought the call on Tootoo was lousy. That was just a good hockey hit. His elbow didn't come up much. Murray's head came down. He didn't leave his feet until after contact. There were a few no-calls in the Sharks' favor as well. We played a clean, solid game for a complete game.

I don't think we have missed Ian White as much as I would have predicted we would. Sounds like Babs was pretty happy with the D. Wonder if White continues to sit when we play the 'Hawks. Would LOVE for the Wings to be the team that breaks the streak.

• Like 1

I have to admit the defense has been pretty good since White has been sitting, I wouldn't have thought that. Now with guys coming back it'slooks like we might have some assets we can move to get stronger down the stretch.

@BobbyHowe White would fetch a nice little return at the trade deadline, you package him and you're talking a real nice return. Maybe throw in Nyguist to sweeten the pot...or Kindle.....don't think Jacob is gonna pan out, so might as well deal him.

@BobbyHowe White would fetch a nice little return at the trade deadline, you package him and you're talking a real nice return. Maybe throw in Nyguist to sweeten the pot...or Kindle.....don't think Jacob is gonna pan out, so might as well deal him.

Nyquist is still very much a big part of our future, especially with Filpulla an UFA after the season. If Tatar hadnt taken the third line spot as his own and ran away and hid with it Nyquist would be up already. Just another case of the Wings not rushing a prospect.

Jammer,

Holland develops players who know the Wings system and there role therein. Nyquist is being groomed to be the new Val Filpulla, and will put up the same numbers at the least. I think big picture, not just this year but the next five, Nyquist is one of the most valuable pieces in the organization.

I agree we need a top four big minute puck moving blue liner, but honestly, who doesn't? Montreal, Chicago, that's about it. I would rather take chances with what we have than to go to overpay and give up our future for a Jay Bouwmeester or some such.

Ian White has been a healthy scratch for three games now. If Babcock was wanting to get a message across for sub-par play, I think only one or two games would have done it. White is an UFA at the end of this season. Anybody else feel like Detroit is testing the defensive quality without him? The salary cap is going to be lowered by almost $6 million for next season. An extra $2.875MM in Holland's pocket would certainly help them adjust.

• Like 1

I don't see Nyquist going anywhere, but we still have a lot of other pieces we could part with, White, Abdelkader, Emmerton, Coliacavo, Gustavsson and more I could see being expendable.

Abdelkader and White have some value, the others mentioned not so much. Another option the Wings have to trade is a first round pick, we do well later in the draft anyway.

Right now, Tatar has brought the lines together, with the imminent return of Filpulla, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi the forwards will get even better. And the blue line is getting healthy as well.

I am not a fan of Lashoff, I really think he belongs at Grand Rapids and dont even see him as a real prospect, he was more than anything a desperation call up, kind of like signing Huskins off the street. But all seven blueliners are rounding in to shape, I expect White to be nack in the rotation soon with a little more pep in his step, and Brendan Smith will get better and better as the season goes on. Kronwall is having an amazing season, Ericsson still has some bonehead moments but has more plusses than negatives, Quincey is somehow a plus 11 (!!) which leaves Colaiacovo and Kindl duking it out for the sixth man role.

If we can add a top pair d-man without gutting the club, I say go for it. At this point I would be more inclined to trade Filpulla because of his fre agent status for next year, and keep Nyquist. I really think he could net us a good return. But frankly, the guys we have IF they can stay healthy (Big IF) and play to their potential, not over their heads but just play as well as expected, the defense will be fine.

@yave1964 I think if they get one more dependable veteran d-man, they will be fine. That makes sure Kindl does not touch the ice, even as a 7th guy, or gasp, an injury...lol. I think Kindl is toast, they tried to bring him along slowly, but I just don't see him devloping the way they had hoped.

• Like 2

@jammer2

Agreed...Kindl is forgettable. I like Lashoff, though. He shows some promise. He needs to hone in the finer points, but he's in there when needed. With Ian White and the occasional assistance of Kyle Quincey, I think the defense is pretty well set. The biggest problem is the injured forwards. Bertuzzi and Helm being out is absolutely killing the Red Wings' production numbers. Thankfully, this has given Tatar and and Andersson a chance to shine. But I would certainly like to have Bertuzzi and Helm back in place of Andersson and Patrick Eaves -- stronger net-front presence and more face-offs won.

• Like 1

After seeing the opposing players being left alone in front of Jimmy Howard against LA and the Avs, I think it may be time for White to get back in a game. I think sitting him down was good. I think we need him in there to cut down on these kinds of gifts our squad's been giving up. We were fortunate that we didn't lose that lead, and 2 points didn't turn into 1. Or none! Hopefully, the pine will have reminded him about what he's coming back for--stability on defense. Might be time, eh?

@WingNut722

Edmonton was clearly tired by the end of that game, and they are not L.A. Our defense has looked better, but we must also keep in our minds the playoffs too, and experience is important to have. If White is playing responsibly, I'd rather have him ready for the playoffs than Laschoff. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE Laschoff, and I also think he deserves a chance. But if the choice is between a veteran who plays solid and a young guy who plays solid, ya gotta go with experience. Having said that, if White comes in and doesn't play well, you sit him for Laschoff, and you don't look back. I think White can contribute if he chooses to compete, and you would think that the pine might motivate him. It's a LONG way to fall from the top defensive pair to sitting out healthy.

@WingNut722

I think White can contribute if he chooses to compete, and you would think that the pine might motivate him.

Sounds more like good parenting than coaching advice. The way he's been playing, Lashoff will certainly get his chance in the enxt few years, particularly if White is not optioned after his contract expires. I do like watching him play though, and I think there would be an overall benefit by his return.