What's wrong with the Caps?

Digityman

@Digityman

Did you hear Milbury toast Ovechkin?

Among the highlights:

• Ovechkin “failed” the superstar test “miserably” with “an awful display of hockey” and “should be ashamed of himself.

• “Eight year olds don’t do this in the offensive zone.”

• Ovechkin acted “like a baby” in trying to draw a penalty. “This is ridiculous embellishment. He should be embarrassed by this and so should his teammates. That is silly. Get up and act like a man, for god’s sake.”

• He doesn’t move enough on the wall.

• He doesn’t backcheck.

• And he had the nerve to go off on a line change during a Flyers’ goal.

I was loving Milbury's rant. It is so true and was great to see someone FINALLY SAY IT!!!!!!

Have never been a fan of the "great 8"!!!! He has that air of being above it all and it does nothing but hurt the team. I can't imagine his teammates can stand him with the **** he pulls.

When Hunter came in and coached them and had them finally NOT underachieving, then left to go back to junior, that said it all for me. He had them playing the style of hockey you need to succeed in the playoffs, gritty in your face with a detail to defence. He had to bench Ovechkin to make it work. What a team guy.

I do think the Caps problems begin with Ovechkin. FC is right that he's not a team player. He never has been. He needs to go back to Russia and take up ice dancing.

They may have gotten rid of the wrong primadonna (Semin).

That said, I really don't think Adam Oates is an NHL head coach. I mean, based on the Washington experience it's really hard to draw any fair conclusion since he's locked in a no-win situation with a douche former superstar who he's probably been told from above has to play to sell tickets. But I suspect he just doesn't have the chops.

Finally, who was in the booth with Emerick? Emerick was commenting, in reference to the Caps poor play, that Oates and McPhee didn't deserve that. It was either the other guy in the booth or McGuire who responded with "neither do the fans. They have a tremendous fan base here." The fans didn't even know the Caps existed before Ovechkin and will disappear after he's gone. They deserve whatever heaping steamy pile of horse manure they get. All twelve of them.

I do think the Caps problems begin with Ovechkin. FC is right that he's not a team player. He never has been. He needs to go back to Russia and take up ice dancing.

He wouldn't even make a good ice dancing partner as there is no Ovie in teamwork.

The "C" really should be removed from Ovie's jersey, and if he wanted it back he would have to earn it. Maybe Milbury's comments on national tv woke him up but realistically he has probably heard them from the Cap's management.

It is a no win situation with the Capitals. I wonder if they would bite the bullet this summer and buy him out.

@hf101 Why would they buy him out when they can still get a considerable return for him? A team like Columbus would kill to have him to market, and obviously would have the cap space. How about OV in Florida....the Panthers could have a true star to center their next marketing campaign around (although Huberdeau will be that all to soon). Just saying there are plenty of markets who could really use him, dispite the selfish, lazy play, he's still a marketing commodity. Don't know if he has a NTC/NMC....probably does though.

Edited by jammer2

the lack of passion is not system wide for the Caps, their team in the "A" hustles and hits, they all stick handle well, the 12 and 6 i saw tonight all have good hockey iq...

the lockerroom in Washington must be awful, because the Bears play hard for one another, to lose that once you make the step to the bigs must really be disenfranchising.

@jammer2

Ovechkin to Florida makes sense to me his wife is a tennis player, there would be like zero pressure in that market. what's not to love ?

@mojo1917 OV to the Panthers would be the dream for the team marketing staff huh? They would get to push OV and the up and coming Huberdeau...that's a pretty easy sell even in that hockey depleated market. OV in Florida would really help sell the game in that state, even the Bolts might profit from the increased publicity etc....perhaps make their rivilary releveant for once?

@hf101 Why would they buy him out when they can still get a considerable return for him? A team like Columbus would kill to have him to market, and obviously would have the cap space. How about OV in Florida....the Panthers could have a true star to center their next marketing campaign around (although Huberdeau will be that all to soon). Just saying there are plenty of markets who could really use him, dispite the selfish, lazy play, he's still a marketing commodity. Don't know if he has a NTC/NMC....probably does though.

Well not that I'm sure how much money the Capitals would need to fork out in a buyout this summer, but Ovechkin isn't a FA until 2021 at a cap hit of $9,538,462. Ovechkin does have a modified NTC that starts in 2014.

I hear what your stating as far as marketing, but Ovechkin will command between 1/6 and 1/7 of their cap for a long, long time. He has already has had two coaches leave. GM's around the NHL must think that he is another Yashin.

I think if another team really wanted Ovechkin the Capitals would trade him....but I don't think anyone is making those calls.

@hf101 If Florida has a choice of inevitably losing the franchise due to sheer lack of interest or entering cap hell for a decade or so, I think they choose the latter. Even OV kicking out 30-35 goals a year would generate a TON of press for the game in that State, it just might be the kinda thing that could swings the pendulum in hockeys favoUr in the Sunshine State....plus having Stevie Y building a contender in Tampa can't hurt matters.

Edited by jammer2

@hf101 WOW, those are some surprising totals!!! Really, when looking at that list, the only real problems are Colorado, Columbus, Phoenix and the Islanders. The Isles are moving, probably the Blue Jackets will follow suit along with the Yotes......that would eventually only leave Colorado as a potential attendance problem...I don't know if another league can boast that type of attendance. When the hell did the Panthers start selling out? Is this a recent thing, are they giving out 2 for 1 deals? LOL!

Amazing how the NHL has rebounded from the strike. These attendance figures are staggering!

Strike all that OV stuff, it's a pipedream if the Panthers are selling out, that is a shocker, to me anyways.

Great to see Tampa at 97% and the Ducks at a very respectable 90%.....that's excellent for the game going forward....maybe that little snot nosed troll was a bit smarter than I gave him credit for!

Edited by jammer2