Mike Milbury’s epic Alex Ovechkin trashing: ‘Act like a man, for god’s sake’

pilldoc

Wow..just wow..Milbury rips Ovechkin!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/watch-mike-milbury-epic-alex-ovechkin-trashing-act-023336900--nhl.html

Mike Milbury of NBC Sports Network has been one of Alex Ovechkin’s most consistent and caustic critics during the Washington Capitals star’s career, whether it’s being critical of his hits or his attitude or comparing him to Chad Ochocinco or calling his game (and that of his nation) “eurotrash” or ...

But Wednesday night – Rivalry Night! – on NBC Sports Network saw Milbury trash Ovechkin’s effort against the Philadelphia Flyers during the second intermission. Mom, Dad: Hide the kids.

Among the highlights:

• Ovechkin “failed” the superstar test “miserably” with “an awful display of hockey” and “should be ashamed of himself.

• “Eight year olds don’t do this in the offensive zone.”

• Ovechkin acted “like a baby” in trying to draw a penalty. “This is ridiculous embellishment. He should be embarrassed by this and so should his teammates. That is silly. Get up and act like a man, for god’s sake.”

• He doesn’t move enough on the wall.

• He doesn’t backcheck.

• And he had the nerve to go off on a line change during a Flyers’ goal.

• Milbury called his play "inacceptable" which ISN'T EVEN A WORD.

Wow. Really, the only thing missing was Milbury destroying an Ovechkin bobblehead with his shoe or wiping his backside with a No. 8 jersey live on the air ...

(We were waiting for Milbury to call Ovechkin a crackhead, but that's actually a term of endearment for him.)

Now, during that rant, you might have heard Milbury say something about playing games on consecutive nights, which Ovechkin did: Getting an assist against Carolina to follow up his 4-point day against New Jersey on Saturday. So maybe he’s a little gassed against Philly.

Or maybe he’s a miserable failure.

Or maybe two periods isn’t exactly enough of a sample size for this evisceration.

Or maybe Mike Milbury has been doing this for several years, and will do it again.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

I said a few years ago during the great "Who's better" debate that if you wanted a goal you take Ovechkin, you want a cup, take Crosby. I saw a selfish player who's main interest was scoring, not winning, followed by his over-the-top celebrations. I think the limelight has totally gone to his head. He's now become a "used to be" Ovechkin but with that huge contract. Ouch!

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

You said that all along. And you were right. I never liked him and agreed with your Crosby vs. Ovechkin assessment (it was your assessment, I just agreed).

Milbury just proves the theorem that even a broken clock is right twice a day. He's horrible as a GM and as a commentator, but he's right on this one.

Wow..just wow..Milbury rips Ovechkin!

http://sports.yahoo....36900--nhl.html

Mike Milbury of NBC Sports Network has been one of Alex Ovechkin’s most consistent and caustic critics during the Washington Capitals star’s career, whether it’s being critical of his hits or his attitude or comparing him to Chad Ochocinco or calling his game (and that of his nation) “eurotrash” or ...

But Wednesday night – Rivalry Night! – on NBC Sports Network saw Milbury trash Ovechkin’s effort against the Philadelphia Flyers during the second intermission. Mom, Dad: Hide the kids.

Among the highlights:

• Ovechkin “failed” the superstar test “miserably” with “an awful display of hockey” and “should be ashamed of himself.

• “Eight year olds don’t do this in the offensive zone.”

• Ovechkin acted “like a baby” in trying to draw a penalty. “This is ridiculous embellishment. He should be embarrassed by this and so should his teammates. That is silly. Get up and act like a man, for god’s sake.”

• He doesn’t move enough on the wall.

• He doesn’t backcheck.

• And he had the nerve to go off on a line change during a Flyers’ goal.

• Milbury called his play "inacceptable" which ISN'T EVEN A WORD.

Wow. Really, the only thing missing was Milbury destroying an Ovechkin bobblehead with his shoe or wiping his backside with a No. 8 jersey live on the air ...

(We were waiting for Milbury to call Ovechkin a crackhead, but that's actually a term of endearment for him.)

Now, during that rant, you might have heard Milbury say something about playing games on consecutive nights, which Ovechkin did: Getting an assist against Carolina to follow up his 4-point day against New Jersey on Saturday. So maybe he’s a little gassed against Philly.

Or maybe he’s a miserable failure.

Or maybe two periods isn’t exactly enough of a sample size for this evisceration.

Or maybe Mike Milbury has been doing this for several years, and will do it again.

All that was missing was the hideous sport coat...

Haha, epic rant for sure. But he's not wrong. He would be crucified playing like that in Philly.

His cap hit is $9.5M until 2021, when he'll be 35. And get this: his salary actually increases from $9M to $10M next year for the rest of the contract. So they'll have to dish out more actual dollars. He's untradeable with that kind of cash still remaining ($89M).

And can you actually afford to buy out a player like that??? That's a huge chunk of change.

He's become a point per game player or less over the last 3 seasons. Fine for most players, but not at $10M per season. Not when that player does not excel in any other parts of the game.

Just another great example of why long contracts are a very very bad idea.

Lecavalier is another great example... he's 32 now, and signed until 2020 when he'll be 39. A cap hit of $7.7M is too much for what he brings and his production will just continue to decline.

• Like 1

Alex is one of those Euros that do not respect the Cup. It has no meaning to him, it's all about the cash. He deserved to get ripped, but it was almost like Mike Milbury's publicist said "Mike, you gotta go off, people are losing interest in you"......and he responed in spades....LOL!

Alex is one of those Euros that do not respect the Cup. It has no meaning to him, it's all about the cash. He deserved to get ripped, but it was almost like Mike Milbury's publicist said "Mike, you gotta go off, people are losing interest in you"......and he responed in spades....LOL!

LOL, I had mixed feelings about his rant because Mike is a tool and probably one of the worst GMs ever! He made some nasty trades that make Howson look like a genius.

That being said, yeah, I agree with you. There's no intrinsic driving force for the Cup like some of the youngsters who grew up on this side of the pond and have it ingrained in them from a young age.

But he made it well-known that he doesn't want to be here... he wanted to stay in the KHL. So you've got a disgruntled $10M player who doesn't care and is just going through the motions. For the next decade. $89M.

Ouch.

Thank God the owners forced the players to not allow them to offer those sorts of contracts otherwise who knows what other stupid, moronic, idiotic, dumb things these "successful businessmen" might have done.

Ovechkin is a joke - but the Caps' franchise isn't much better.

Thank God the owners forced the players to not allow them to offer those sorts of contracts otherwise who knows what other stupid, moronic, idiotic, dumb things these "successful businessmen" might have done.

Ovechkin is a joke - but the Caps' franchise isn't much better.

Things would be different if the NHL were actually allowed to operate in a free market. But that's just not the case.

The Caps franchise isn't all that bad considering their market. DC is not a good sports town. Anything other than the NFL and college basketball is a tough sell there. The fans are very much front-runners. They will come out for a winning team but if the team isn't winning the stands will be empty. Pretty much every GM in the league would have given Ovechkin a similar contract at the time, I don't think you can blame McPhee for that.

The Caps franchise isn't all that bad considering their market. DC is not a good sports town. Anything other than the NFL and college basketball is a tough sell there. The fans are very much front-runners. They will come out for a winning team but if the team isn't winning the stands will be empty. Pretty much every GM in the league would have given Ovechkin a similar contract at the time, I don't think you can blame McPhee for that.

I think you *can* and *should* blame McPhee. What other GMs would or would not have done is kind of irrelevant if you're a Caps fan. It's about what McPhee did.

Even if other teams would have given Bryz a 9 year contract, or Pronger a 7 year contract, the fact that Homer did pisses me off. They're both stupid contracts. Even at the time, I said the Pronger contract was a bad one. The Briere contract is a bad one too.

How do you think the Parise and Suter contracts will look in about 5 years? Probably pretty bad. What about Weber? We almost got ourselves into another stupid contract. As much as I would love to have Weber, abso-f***ing-lutely not under a 14 year contract weighing on him and the team like a boat anchor.

And then DiPietro comes out and says he's had thoughts of suicide. Sure, he tried to backpedal and say he was being facetious.. but it shows you how much these contracts can really affect a player both on and off the ice.

I think you *can* and *should* blame McPhee. What other GMs would or would not have done is kind of irrelevant if you're a Caps fan. It's about what McPhee did.

Even if other teams would have given Bryz a 9 year contract, or Pronger a 7 year contract, the fact that Homer did pisses me off. They're both stupid contracts. Even at the time, I said the Pronger contract was a bad one. The Briere contract is a bad one too.

How do you think the Parise and Suter contracts will look in about 5 years? Probably pretty bad. What about Weber? We almost got ourselves into another stupid contract. As much as I would love to have Weber, abso-f***ing-lutely not under a 14 year contract weighing on him and the team like a boat anchor.

And then DiPietro comes out and says he's had thoughts of suicide. Sure, he tried to backpedal and say he was being facetious.. but it shows you how much these contracts can really affect a player both on and off the ice.

I agree that these are bad contracts. But everyone does it, so why single out McPhee or the Caps franchise. At least they are willing to spend money. And in general, they have gone about building the team in the right way. They've drafted a couple of good young goalies, a couple good young d-men (not counting Green), Ovechkin was basically a slam-dunk draft pick, Backstrom was a great pick...

I don't think you can call the franchise a joke. I lived in DC for a long time and it's not a hockey town by any means. The fact that the franchise is still there, and they have been competitive speaks pretty well for their management I think.

I agree that these are bad contracts. But everyone does it, so why single out McPhee or the Caps franchise. At least they are willing to spend money. And in general, they have gone about building the team in the right way. They've drafted a couple of good young goalies, a couple good young d-men (not counting Green), Ovechkin was basically a slam-dunk draft pick, Backstrom was a great pick...

I don't think you can call the franchise a joke. I lived in DC for a long time and it's not a hockey town by any means. The fact that the franchise is still there, and they have been competitive speaks pretty well for their management I think.

Well, I'm not singling out McPhee per se. This is a thread about Ovechkin, so I was just talking about that contract in the context of the thread. And I also mentioned the bad contracts the Philly, Nashville (not by choice) and Minnesota doled out just before the lockout.

Well, I'm not singling out McPhee per se. This is a thread about Ovechkin, so I was just talking about that contract in the context of the thread. And I also mentioned the bad contracts the Philly, Nashville (not by choice) and Minnesota doled out just before the lockout.

Fair enough. I've always thought that Ovechkin was overrated, and a bit of a cancer in fact. My point about the Caps was in response to ruxdoran's smarmy comment about the franchise.

LOL, How did anyone give MIlbury a job in TV anyways? I guess if you can be one of the worst GM's in your sport you get a job as an "expert" analyst for a major network just ;like Matt Millen in football. Hmmm and to think they both have the initials MM.... conspiracy or not?

• Like 1