Briere+ for Shattenkirk?

Phillygrump

I hope this isn't misleading, but I've read a rumor on myhltraderumors.com

Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News: Sources are saying that Blues GM Doug Armstrong asked the Flyers about Daniel Briere. The Bruins are also said to have asked about his availability. The Flyers haven’t asked Briere if he’d waive his no trade clause, and it’s not known if they are interested in trading him. Briere did have this to say,

“I don’t want to comment on anything at this point,” Briere told the
Daily News.
“Trades are not my department. I’ve been a Flyer for a long time. My heart belongs in Philadelphia with the Flyers. I can’t see myself playing anywhere else.”

Briere carries a $6.5 million salary cap hit, but has a salary of $3 million for next year and $2 million in 2014-15.

The Flyers are interested in Kevin Shattenkirk, but it would take a lot more than Briere to get him.

So obviously it would take more than Briere to acquire Shattenkirk, but what would it take and what would you be willing to give up. Briere plus who/what?

Both he and Pietrangelo are due new deals. Not sure if that would factor into the Blues willingness to trade. But he's in their top three, so it would definitely take more than Briere, even if the Steen and MacDonald injuries are causing a bit of panic in the Blues FO.

Both he and Pietrangelo are due new deals. Not sure if that would factor into the Blues willingness to trade. But he's in their top three, so it would definitely take more than Briere, even if the Steen and MacDonald injuries are causing a bit of panic in the Blues FO.

Another good question: would the Blues want to pick up a $6.5M cap hit for the next two seasons?

I haven't looked at their cap or RFA situations.

Cap is fine, they're the lowest team. I don't know what their financial situation is, but the low actual payments (3 and 2 million) vs. the cap hit might be something attractive to them. Plus, McDonald is a UFA next season, so they might need someone to replace him. He made 4.2 million this year (actual salary). Don't know what he'll be worth on the market with the new CBA in place.

A better question: what would YOU trade Kevin Shattenkirk for from the Flyers?

My answer: I don't want to deal Shattenkirk and if I do, I want more than they are willing to pay.

That would be difficult for me to try and figure out. I don't know that much about Shattenkirk, but he is an offensive defenseman that could help the PP and he's only 24.

They have 20 mil in capspace. Unbelievable. But they won't spend to the cap. If they took Briere they could let MacDonald go, and they'd actually only be paying Briere 3 and then 2 million over the next 2 seasons

I think thats what is so attractive to the Blues is that though the cap hit is so high they only have to pay him 3 mil and 2 mil. If they are serious about a playoff run Briere is a nice get.

Back to the original question, though. With Giroux, Couturier, Read, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, Hartnell, and Talbot, there's not a lot of ice time for Laughton. Assuming the Blues do want Briere, and are willing to take him as part of a deal for Shattenkirk, is Briere +Laughton+ a 2nd enough? Is that too much? I know Shattenkirk's a top-3 guy on St. Louis, could he potentially be a top-2? I haven't seen enough of him.

Edited by AJgoal

I would have to say Briere and Laughton and a conditional pick.

Seems solid.

Laughton would fit Hitchcock's system quite well being that he is a solid two-way center. I really don't see him being more than a 3rd line guy on this team. You figure Giroux, Schenn, Couturier are the top three. The conditional pick is a question mark. I believe the Flyers 2013 4th is going to TB for the Kubina experiment. A 3rd is steep, and 2nd or a 1st no way.

Briere could prove dynamic and get them over that 1st round plateau, especially if he is paired with a decent puck moving winger. I have noticed that St.Louis is thin on the left side of the puck, perhaps throw them Rusty, Laughton and Briere and a conditional pick to sweeten the pot.

Outside of that, I would not send any core player: Giroux, Cooter, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Hartnell, L. Schenn the other way. If that is the case, stand pat, let the chips fall and see where we end up in the draft.

According to the same site, Boston and St. Louis are both interested in Briere. I don't think anything like a biding war could occur, but both of them are looking for scoring heading into the playoffs and Briere is definitely that guy. Maybe the fact that Boston is interested could help keep the price for Shattenkirk down a little.

• Like 1

For the record, even though I hypothesized what a fair deal would be, I don't think this trade scenario is likely. However, the Blues are the least valuable NHL franchise, with 10 million in losses last season, so a cap-floor trade for Briere makes even more sense from a money standpoint

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlm45eghlh/30-st-louis-blues/.

@Phillygrump

If Boston was serious, that would have to mean the Flyers are out, I'd hate to have to face Danny in the offseason.

However, if that did go down, I would like to see Malcolm Subban straight up for Briere. I'd also have to say after the WJC, Subban's stock has gone down a little bit. It would be nice to have a solid goalie prospect in the organization.... ah f' it, the brass should just wind up shipping him to Columbus for a 2nd and a 4th.... :ph34r:

@Bertmega

Subban has been the best goalie in the O all year long. The team D wasn't exactly great in front of him at the WJs, and he still wasn't horrible by any means. He's as athletic as they come and I'd love to have the guy as a prospect. Plus he's nowhere near the showoff his older brother is.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

Malcolm's upside is tremendous. To think that he didn't start playing the position till he was 12 and see how good he is now screams that he may be great one day. I'd love to have him on the depth chart and see to it that he was properly developed.

As far as the WJC goes, he was good against the US and Russia in the 1st games, in the later match against the US he played well, but some want to scapegoat him. The US was playing a strong top 6 bottom 6 and that was giving Canada fits.

Shattenkirk would fix a gaping hole in your blueline, but no way no how would the Blues take Brierre for him. Get that out of your minds now. It would take a combination of kid forwards to make a deal happen. Simmonds or Couturier would be a must IMO for the Blues to do that deal.

Edited by yave1964

There is no rush in my mind for any deals to be done.... today there may not be much of a market for Daniel, but closer the the playoffs when things are coming into focus there may be a team to overpay for his scoring.

i don't know how Briere for Shattenkirk helps the Blues that much, losing your top pairing D-man for a top 6 forward seems like less than zero sum gain to me.

i also don't know if i'm thinking Shattenkirk is a guy i trade one of my young forwards for, i don't know if i think he makes that big of an impact, that will make it palatable for me to watch B schenn tear up the league for years and years...

i don't know how Briere for Shattenkirk helps the Blues that much, losing your top pairing D-man for a top 6 forward seems like less than zero sum gain to me.

You don't think the Blues are in business to help the Flyers?

Madness. :ph34r:

The reason "the deal" doesn't make much sense is that "the deal" is the product of "whisper down the lane" where "Briere" and "Shattenkirk" appear in the same article and it becomes "Briere nixes deal to Blues for Shattenkirk."

I started this thread under the pretense that it was a rumor. I never made it seem like it had real legs. I started it to ask the question "what else would need to be involved"

Obviously you don't pry away top 4 defenseman who are 24 with a 35 year old top 6 forward who only scores in the playoffs. But teams with good defense who are desperate for scoring might be interested in a guy like Briere who costs much less than his salary cap hit. He's affordable for the talent he has, he can light it up in the post season, he brings good leadership. Alone he can't get it done, but combined with some young talent a deal could happen.

Its not as if Briere makes no sense for the Blues. He makes plenty of sense. They got swept out of the post season after a great regular season last year. Briere had a monster post season as usual last year. He's affordable for a team with little room to overpay.

Again, Briere alone would not get it done that much is obvious, but Briere can be a part of a deal and I can see the Blues being interested in him.

• Like 1

Andy Strickland of TrueHockey: A Blues trade of Kevin Shattenkirk for Daniel Briere makes zero sense for the Blues. Shattenkirk will eventually sign a contract extension with Blues. They talked before the lockout and will resume talks at some point, which could be after the season. He has arbitration rights and will get something north of $3 million a year. Comparables for the 22-year old would be Cam Fowler,Tyler Myers, Victor Hedman, John Carlson and Luke Schenn. The Blues could be looking for depth on the blueline, with the Maple Leafs, Jets, Coyotes and Sharks possibly looking to move a defenseman or two. The Blues can take on some salary.

@Phillygrump

Apologies if it seemed I was implying you were pushing this rumor without cause. Not my intention.

The rumor is literally All Over the Interwebs and it all derives from interpretations of the Seravalli article and the interpretations of the interpretations of the Seravalli article. Eklund has more reliable sources.

It is quite possible the Blues would be interested in Briere. It is possible, if unlikely, that Briere would want to go to St. Louis.

I don't see how a Briere (even Briere+) for Shattenkirk makes any sense for the Blues at all.

Young talented defensemen are a rare commodity.