Too soon to start the ......

Jmdodgesrt4

Jones or MacKinnon. Take whoever looks to be best down the road.(MacKinnon is almost a year younger than Jones, that's huge in development) We could always trade Schenn or Couturier (or MacKinnon) if we got MacKinnon for a heck of a defenceman.

Jones or MacKinnon. Take whoever looks to be best down the road.(MacKinnon is almost a year younger than Jones, that's huge in development) We could always trade Schenn or Couturier (or MacKinnon) if we got MacKinnon for a heck of a defenceman.

Homer passed on Hamilton, ok. He passed on Maata, ummm... ok. But if by some miracle the Flyers actually end up with the #1 pick and he passes on Jones, I will hop the next flight to New Mexico, I will kidnap CoachX's attack-doggie, and I will personally chase Homer all the way back to Minnesota.

• Like 1

@JackStraw

I take the best player. If it's Jones, take him. if it's MacKinnon, take him. Centers are as important as D. Pittsburgh won a cup with 2 great centers and zero Norris calibre defence.(of course they had a goalie which we're also lacking) If you had Giroux and either MacKinnon or Schenn as your 1/2 you can trade the other for a heck of a Dman.

@JackStraw

I take the best player. If it's Jones, take him. if it's MacKinnon, take him. Centers are as important as D. Pittsburgh won a cup with 2 great centers and zero Norris calibre defence.(of course they had a goalie which we're also lacking) If you had Giroux and either MacKinnon or Schenn as your 1/2 you can trade the other for a heck of a Dman.

Maybe you can but maybe you can't. Teams don't trade that kind of player very often. Do you think Doughty will suddenly become available? Pietrangelo? Pretty sure the Bruins aren't trading Hamilton, and I don't think he was rated as highly as Jones. Maybe we could trade the farm for Weber and his humongous big contract. Centers are important, but there are more good ones around and the Flyers already have 3. As opposed to 0 (after Timonen retires) #1 defensemen. Jones is pretty much exactly what the Flyers are lacking. And from what I've seen there seems to be near universal consensus that he's the top prospect in the draft anyway. Really seems like a no-brainer to me.

@JackStraw Drew Doughty is a strange case for me. He broke into the league like gang busters, but last season he regressed, not surprising for a young dman, but now this year he is even worse. Not skating like he was, the smarts have gone out the window and he is not as physically involved. H'e mired in a long deep slump this year, think he only has 6 pts on the year. There is enough talent on the LA pp for him to be putting up significantly better numbers than that. Who knows maybe you get him cheaper......would have never ever typed this a few years ago, but buyer beware on Drew.

Edited by jammer2

@JackStraw Drew Doughty is a strange case for me. He broke into the league like gang busters, but last season he regressed, not surprising for a young dman, but now this year he is even worse. Not skating like he was, the smarts have gone out the window and he is not as physically involved. H'e mired in a long deep slump this year, think he only has 6 pts on the year. There is enough talent on the LA pp for him to be putting up significantly better numbers than that. Who knows maybe you get him cheaper......would have never ever typed this a few years ago, but buyer beware on Drew.

Yeah, I get the same feeling about him. I've seen him look really good, but he seems up and down. He's pretty much got the whole package though. But I think I would rather draft Jones, given the chance.

Homer passed on Hamilton, ok. He passed on Maata, ummm... ok. But if by some miracle the Flyers actually end up with the #1 pick and he passes on Jones, I will hop the next flight to New Mexico, I will kidnap CoachX's attack-doggie, and I will personally chase Homer all the way back to Minnesota.

And i will round up a couple of venomous aramadillos to help in this quest. Make sure I have a GPS leading to all escalators

Edited by CoachX

Drew Doughty is a strange case for me. He broke into the league like gang busters, but last season he regressed, not surprising for a young dman, but now this year he is even worse. Not skating like he was, the smarts have gone out the window and he is not as physically involved. H'e mired in a long deep slump this year, think he only has 6 pts on the year. There is enough talent on the LA pp for him to be putting up significantly better numbers than that. Who knows maybe you get him cheaper......would have never ever typed this a few years ago, but buyer beware on Drew.

He does have a Stanley Cup though. If you could buy low on Doughty he would be well worth a kick of the tires and then some. Too bad the NHL isn't like fantasy hockey and you can't really buy as low as Doughty's stats wouuld maybe indicate you could.

1st pick Jonathan Drouin. We would have two Giroux's on the team. This kid is amazing.

Leads the Q in scoring in his first full year. GP 44 G 38 A 59 Pts 97

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/02/did-you-see-that-jonathan-drouin-vs-everyone.html

Check these out. This is what I have been watching all year.

Edited by TimKerrFan12

@JackStraw

Like I said if he is, you take him. But when one player is almost a year younger than the other and they are closely ranked, you'd better take that into account as well. Look at it this way, where will MacKinnon be in a year, and how good was Jones a year ago. That's the difference in their development.

@flyercanuck - If MacKinnon was being touted as a generational type talent it would be a different story. But he's not, at least from what I've seen. On the contrary, comparisons of him and Crosby start and end with the fact that they're both from Nova Scotia. Every evaluation of MacKinnon that I've seen says that he's not in the same class as Crosby. The fact that Jones is taller suggests that he still has to fill out his frame more than MacKinnon, and we all know forwards develop more quickly than d-men. So I'd say Jones has plenty of room to develop still.

The Flyers already have more centers than they can really handle. Odds are that either Schenn or Couturier will get traded at some point in the next few years, unless one of them can make the move to wing. Which seems unlikely from what we've seen so far. Adding another center just worsens a problem that the team has been dealing with pretty much since they acquired Briere after drafting Richards and Carter. Just no reason to do it if a stud d-man is there for the taking. Unless, as I say, we're talking about a Crosby type player. And from what I can tell, we're not.

I don't think he's generational. I think he looks to be a very good player who also has almost a year of development ahead of him to be considered to make a fair comparison to Jones. I'd be happy with either of them, but highly doubt thats going to happen. I'm just sticking by my point that you always take the best player, not most needed position.