Leighton and Sestito waived

Guest JackStraw

Sestito claimed by Vancouver, Leighton clears.

Big surprise there...NOT!

Can anyone explain why it made more sense to keep Shelley @1.1 mil and UFA next season instead of Sestito who was signed for 605k and RFA next season? This was a COMPLETE INSERT HEAD INTO RECTUM move by Homer. The Flyers lost a guy who could actually play 3rd or 4th line minutes instead of an IR player who won't see the ice and COSTS MORE!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

You answered your own question Rod. Shelley is on IR. I don't think they can waive him. Trade him maybe, but who wants to trade for a guy who just had hip surgery and is an UFA at the end of the year?

It makes sense that Vancouver picked him up, as they just lost Volpatti to the Capitals yesterday on waivers. They play similar rolls.

I have to agree with you that keeping Shelley and letting Sestito go is just a bad decision by Homer! Sestito showed some promise, Shelley not so much!

I liked Sestito. Not saying he's a game-changer or anything, but the guy skated pretty well and could play reliable 4th line minutes while providing a heavyweight physical presence when needed, and did so for peanut$. The flyers don't have anyone else fitting that description on the roster... I know the team has a ton of depth at forward so maybe the front office just felt he'd have too much trouble cracking into the lineup.

I would have liked to see Sestito develop in the O&B, or at least be packaged up in a trade that brought something back, but oh well. Good luck to him in Vancouver!

• Like 2

I have to agree with you that keeping Shelley and letting Sestito go is just a bad decision by Homer! Sestito showed some promise, Shelley not so much!

You guys keep forgetting what Shelley brings to the table, he keeps the drinks cold and popcorn hot and buttery for Homer and crew in the pressbox!

I've heard that when his contract his up, Comcast will be offering him an Executive Assistant job since Mary Sue Ellen is retiring. "Jody, please hold my calls and could you be a dear and get us a couple of mineral waters."

@flyercanuck

Hey there, how's it going with you? Sounds like you had a great vacation recently. I thought I read somewhere you went to Costa Rica, again?

I'm here most days, I just don't have a lot of time to post so I read a few threads and get back to work. I'll try to contribute more often.

The fishing was great in the summer on the West Coast and pretty good out front this year for the winter Springs. Right now the prawn fishing is good. I haven't been out as much as I like with work getting in the way and raising three young boys! The latter usually keeps me in the bush camping / trout fishing or up the mountain skiiing!

I missed the game on the weekend, (up skiiing) but I was glad to see we got back to .500, and hopefully we can keep it going!

@VanIsleFlyer

Ya, CR is definately my favorite place to go (in the winter). Had some luck with the fall salmon run here. Tried some surf fishing in CR but the waves make it a near death experience! It was safer (and more productive) to fish for snook in the croc infested lagoon lol. How old are the boys?

@flyercanuck

I want to make to that part of the world, but we typically hit Mexico, switching coasts when we get a chance to go, as it's a pretty good bang for the buck! Sounds like you are taking your life into your own hands trying to fish in Coast Rica! lol! Must be exciting though!

The boys are now 5, 7 and 9, so not a lot of free time for dad! I'm guessing our next vacation will be Line-up Land, or I should say Disney Land, as the boys are putting on the pressure and the youngest is getting big enough to handle most of the rides! I'm not too excited about it, as I've been there, done that and got the T-shirt but as anyone knows who has young kids, it's not about what dad wants!