No supplementary discipline for Zolnierczyk

Guest AJgoal

Rad, my initial thought last night was that it was a clean hit that wasn't necessary. I get Coach's point, though.

All that said, tell me some of it is because you generally think Harry Z is a dumb dumb.

(Please email me what you think a dumb dumb is and I'll forward it to my source)

I've been a Harry Z "fan" since I saw the rookie game live and he wasn't on the list of players they gave us as we walked in but had this ridiculous Scrabble name that barely fit over his shoulders.

He had a great game and in many ways was more noticeable - in that context - than Couturier.

I want Harry Z to be a better player. I don't think this sort of crap makes him a better player.

I think it makes him Daniel Carcillo.

I don't think it makes him Carcillo, I think Carcillo was actually out to get people. I just think Z is trying to create energy. But he does need to get smarter about it. His wheels are an asset, and he has some skill. He just needs to pick his spots better. Like Rinaldo is doing.

• Like 1

I don't think it makes him Carcillo, I think Carcillo was actually out to get people. I just think Z is trying to create energy. But he does need to get smarter about it. His wheels are an asset, and he has some skill. He just needs to pick his spots better. Like Rinaldo is doing.

I admit I was kind of baiting ruxpin with the Carcillo reference.

Again, I want him to be a better player. They sat him for two games after the Pittsburgh hit and he comes back with that...

@rad

Was the caps player not trying to score? Was he not trying to make a move? If so that means the whitsle had not gone yet and he is fair game - period. If he didn't want to be hit he should have just dumped it in. Why should the flyers have to throtle back if the caps are not? I see no problem with a clean hit between the whitstles. I think we will need to dissagree.

Cheers.

@rad

Was the caps player not trying to score? Was he not trying to make a move? If so that means the whitsle had not gone yet and he is fair game - period. If he didn't want to be hit he should have just dumped it in. Why should the flyers have to throtle back if the caps are not? I see no problem with a clean hit between the whitstles. I think we will need to dissagree.

Cheers.

I've said it was a fair hit. I've said it wasn't a penalty.

The Caps player was "trying to score" on his side of the red line?

I don't believe the hit was necessary and I believe if a Flyer got hit in the same way at the same time, many would not have much good to say about the player who did the hitting.

• Like 2

I asked this in the shoutbox, but I'll ask again here: what does it mean, practically speaking, that they "rescinded the penalty."

They just deduct the five minutes from the stat sheet? They have to call both teams back together to replay the last minute so Z has a chance to play? What?

I believe it means that the game misconduct was rescinded. It is removed from Harry Z's record and the offense is not needed to be reviewed by the league......

23.2 Fines and Suspensions - A player incurring a game misconduct penalty shall incur an automatic fine of two hundred dollars ($200) and the case shall be reported to the Commissioner who shall have full power to impose such further penalties by way of suspension or fine on the penalized player, goalkeeper or any other player involved in the altercation.

• Like 1

I don't believe the hit was necessary and I believe if a Flyer got hit in the same way at the same time, many would not have much good to say about the player who did the hitting.

and yet we see the same from opponents against the Flyers time and time again. Irregardless(note this term used expressly for the button push) of the fact it was late in the game, it happens all the time. I am happy to be on the giving end instead of receiving this time. I can say with confidence it will happen to the Flyers again before this season is over too. VanMassengail or whoever it was, called the penalty because the refs were told to keep control of the game. The fact that the penalty has been rescinded less than 24 hours later says as much.

@radoran

Sorry, I think it was @flyercanuck who was ragging on him.. Carry on.

I wasn't ragging on him. I said it was a clean but unnecessary hit. And that he's just try to impress his coach. No rag.

Actually, I'd like to report you for this unnecessary comment on a clean post that was just trying to impress Digityman. Anyone know a mod around here?

and yet we see the same from opponents against the Flyers time and time again. Irregardless(note this term used expressly for the button push) of the fact it was late in the game, it happens all the time. I am happy to be on the giving end instead of receiving this time. I can say with confidence it will happen to the Flyers again before this season is over too. VanMassengail or whoever it was, called the penalty because the refs were told to keep control of the game. The fact that the penalty has been rescinded less than 24 hours later says as much.

So you hate it when other teams do it to the Flyers, but it's a great way for a young player to impress his coach if a Flyer does it?

Put your analyst on danger money, baby :ph34r:

Again, IT WAS NOT A PENALTY. I SAID WHEN IT HAPPENED IT WAS A BAD CALL. I SAID IN THIS THREAD OVER AND OVER THAT IT WAS A CLEAN HIT.

But it's the kind of hit the game doesn't need and I don't want to see my players making.

You can stick with your egregious double standard if you'd like.

So you hate it when other teams do it to the Flyers, but it's a great way for a young player to impress his coach if a Flyer does it?

Put your analyst on danger money, baby :ph34r:

Again, IT WAS NOT A PENALTY. I SAID WHEN IT HAPPENED IT WAS A BAD CALL. I SAID IN THIS THREAD OVER AND OVER THAT IT WAS A CLEAN HIT.

But it's the kind of hit the game doesn't need and I don't want to see my players making.

You can stick with your egregious double standard if you'd like.

Would you stop saying it was a dirty hit?!? Good Lord, rad, it was clean at the time and the league pretty much said so afterward. Let it go, man!

• Like 1

I wasn't ragging on him. I said it was a clean but unnecessary hit. And that he's just try to impress his coach. No rag.

Actually, I'd like to report you for this unnecessary comment on a clean post that was just trying to impress Digityman. Anyone know a mod around here?

I was referring to another thread where someone was kind of railing on Harry Z. I really don't remember who at this point. Sorry to have used your name in vain.

@radoran

So I get angry when it happens to a flyer late in a already decided game.That is not going to stop it from happening. The fact that I would prefer to see the Flyers on the giving instead of receiving end does not make it a double standard. A clean hit is a clean hit no matter what time it occurs in a game. Irregardless, I am not going to fault a player who is playing whistle to whistle. I would be happier if some of the other Flyers took note.

P.S. Okay, I have now overused my quota of the word irregardless ...... :lol: just reading the word is irritating me......

@radoran

So I get angry when it happens to a flyer late in a already decided game.That is not going to stop it from happening. The fact that I would prefer to see the Flyers on the giving instead of receiving end does not make it a double standard. A clean hit is a clean hit no matter what time it occurs in a game. Irregardless, I am not going to fault a player who is playing whistle to whistle. I would be happier if some of the other Flyers took note.

P.S. Okay, I have now overused my quota of the word irregardless ...... :lol: just reading the word is irritating me......

The fact you decry opponents doing what you support Flyers doing in this situation is the very definition of a double standard.

OK, I need someone to explain WHY this hit was important for Harry Z to make. You're taking out a fourth liner on the offensive side of the red line with 25 seconds left in a 4-1 game.

"injuring them for the playoffs?" Please.

"sending a message" to a team for the playoffs - two months from now, against a fourth liner? Big man there.

"playing whistle to whistle" is about as weak as they come. It's a 4-1 game. 25 seconds left.

"making an impression on the coach" likewise silly. Potentially starting a brawl in that situation? What? You want another McGinn-style injury because of a stupid fight in garbage time? You're, in fact, risking a FINE to your coach.

Does Z have history with Perrault in the AHL? Was there something during the game? THESE are valid reasons from where I sit.

As it is, Z comes across as a reckless bowling ball with the discipline of a six-year-old unsupervised in a candy store - ESPECIALLY in light of the stupid play against the Pens.

I just don't want to hear about how Kronwall, for example, making such hits - clean hits, no penalty - is a "dirty player".

My opinion doesn't change based on what colour sweater the offender is wearing. If it's a dumb, dirty play from another team it's a dumb, dirty play by the Flyers.

Your mileage may vary.

I've said it was a fair hit. I've said it wasn't a penalty.

The Caps player was "trying to score" on his side of the red line?

If a Flyer had got hit in the same situation, I for one would not have said it was unecessary. I might have hated it. I would have been pissed. I would've wanted a Flyer to go kick in someone's teeth. But I would not have said "unnecessary"

Putting aside what we already discussed, you made another statement I disagree with. You said it isn't needed in today's game. I think todays game is boring and lackluster compared to the last three decades. This game used to have fire, explosion and intrigue. It matched skill, power and intensity that was unequaled in other sports. I wil argue to the end that putting in rules to make this game more pleasing to casual fans has been a huge mistake. They need to take out the instigator, allow more of the rough stuff and stop being pansies. Liek the other poster said, Washington didn't stop skating or trying to score, the Flyers shouldn't stop playing or hitting just because some want it to be kindler and gentler

If a Flyer had got hit in the same situation, I for one would not have said it was unecessary. I might have hated it. I would have been pissed. I would've wanted a Flyer to go kick in someone's teeth. But I would not have said "unnecessary"

Putting aside what we already discussed, you made another statement I disagree with. You said it isn't needed in today's game. I think todays game is boring and lackluster compared to the last three decades. This game used to have fire, explosion and intrigue. It matched skill, power and intensity that was unequaled in other sports. I wil argue to the end that putting in rules to make this game more pleasing to casual fans has been a huge mistake. They need to take out the instigator, allow more of the rough stuff and stop being pansies. Liek the other poster said, Washington didn't stop skating or trying to score, the Flyers shouldn't stop playing or hitting just because some want it to be kindler and gentler

I believe i now have a firmer understanding as to why all these random shovings of old ladies down escalators in new Mexico have had a dramatic increase since bettman took over the NHL.

Liek the other poster said, Washington didn't stop skating or trying to score, the Flyers shouldn't stop playing or hitting just because some want it to be kindler and gentler

Yes, they did.

Now, was the player moving up ice with the puck? Yes. Was he "trying to score" froom his side of the red line with 25 seconds l;efft iin a 4-1 game?

Even if he was, who cares?

You want bloodsport. Fine. I have no problem with that. Risking a fractured orbital bone by provoking a fight in that situation is dumb.

You want Zolnierczky to be Carcillo. Fine. Own that.

I want Zolnierczyk to be a better hockey player.