No supplementary discipline for Zolnierczyk

Guest AJgoal

http://www.csnphilly...kneeing-penalty

Not that the hit deserved any, but figured it was relevant. Still not sure where the penalty was. Or why Pierre seemed to think he deserved a suspension for it.

Shouldn't be the guy he was hitting turned away from the hit too making the impact akward like it was...

Not that the hit deserved any, but figured it was relevant. Still not sure where the penalty was. Or why Pierre seemed to think he deserved a suspension for it.

Because Pierre is a moron. A nice guy but a moron nonetheless. Edited by off_the_post

looked a lot more hip-to-hip on the hit.

Still, not a hit that needed to be made in that situation.

Agreed, but a "hit that doesn't need to be made" shouldn't equal 5 and a game either, even if it's not going to have an impact on the result.

Agreed, but a "hit that doesn't need to be made" shouldn't equal 5 and a game either, even if it's not going to have an impact on the result.

No, it shouldn't. Clean hit. Didn't need to be made. Just a dumb play from where I sit.

Certainly no need for a suspention.

They had been talking all night about how they expected this game to be a "powderkeg", and that the league put the best officials out there to keep it under control. I think the anticipation of something happening skewed the perception of what really did. I don't know where the penalty was and it looked like a good hit to me

• Like 1

looked a lot more hip-to-hip on the hit.

Still, not a hit that needed to be made in that situation.

Not a hit that needed to be made? What kind of logic is that? You get a chance to hit a guy you do it. You don't think to yourself, "Hmmm, should I just let this one go?"

Harry is fighting for a place on this team. Playing hard horn to horn and taking the body will help that out. If it had been illegal or something that deserved a penalty, okay with the criticism. But in this case it was a good open ice hit. And considering that Erskine never had to own to the hit on Simmonds, I am totally okay with any player on the Caps getting thundered

• Like 2

They had been talking all night about how they expected this game to be a "powderkeg", and that the league put the best officials out there to keep it under control. I think the anticipation of something happening skewed the perception of what really did. I don't know where the penalty was and it looked like a good hit to me

Which begs the question of why NBC saw it like that. It's not like there is a giant rivalry between the Caps and Flyers. No divisional animosity.

There was one fight in the first game and only one third period penalty.

Quite frankly, NBC's coverage is so annoying it made the Bud Light/Pitbull ads and McDonald's "fishy fishy" commercials seem almost bearable.

EDIT: Overlooked the Erskine hit. Why someone didn't take care of business there is beyond me.

Not a hit that needed to be made? What kind of logic is that? You get a chance to hit a guy you do it. You don't think to yourself, "Hmmm, should I just let this one go?"

Harry is fighting for a place on this team. Playing hard horn to horn and taking the body will help that out. If it had been illegal or something that deserved a penalty, okay with the criticism. But in this case it was a good open ice hit. And considering that Erskine never had to own to the hit on Simmonds, I am totally okay with any player on the Caps getting thundered

There are 25 seconds left in a 4-1 game.

No reason to make that hit. None.

you have to play the Caps to advance in the playoffs. You tak any chance you can to inflict damage and sieze advantage

You have to play better than .500 hockey to advance to the playoffs.

"Sending a message" or "inflicting damage" two months in advance, with 25 seconds left in a 4-1 game is a bush league way to play the game.

You have to play better than .500 hockey to advance to the playoffs.

"Sending a message" or "inflicting damage" two months in advance, with 25 seconds left in a 4-1 game is a bush league way to play the game.

So is elbowing a guy in the face, but that didn't stop erskine. i doubt the Flyers are convinced they are out of the playoffs yet. It was a clean hockey hit.

I seem to remember thinking... why did Vitale have to clean Briere out with under a minute and the game out of hand ? last year... so from the cheapseat where i sit, he didn't need to make the hit, but he did, it's hockey. that's the answer that worked for me last year anyway.

I seem to remember thinking... why did Vitale have to clean Briere out with under a minute and the game out of hand ? last year... so from the cheapseat where i sit, he didn't need to make the hit, but he did, it's hockey. that's the answer that worked for me last year anyway.

Look, you have to keep your head up and into the game at all times. I don't dispute that. That wasn't the case here.

Deliberate head-hunting (hip-hunting?) with 25 seconds left in a 4-1 game that hadn't been notably chippy and in which there wasn't a whole lot of cheap crap seems unnecessary to me.

And if I'm evaluating a player, what they do with 25 seconds left in a 4-1 game is important to me. Making that hit isn't what I think the game needs in 2013 as they play and call it. When it's a player who had a horrible penalty against the Penguins immediately following a "settle down" time out, "making a statement" by cheapshotting Perrault - not Erskine, Perrault - with 25 seconds left in a 4-1 game - not an example of the discipline I'd be hoping for.

As for "making a statement" and debilitating the Craps for the playoffs two months from now with that hit at that time on a fourth line winger?

Please.

You know, they DID talk about "powerkeg" all night long. I really thought it had to be just to pump up Rivalry Night, because there was nothing even close to it nor a perceivable reason.

Rad, my initial thought last night was that it was a clean hit that wasn't necessary. I get Coach's point, though.

All that said, tell me some of it is because you generally think Harry Z is a dumb dumb.

(Please email me what you think a dumb dumb is and I'll forward it to my source)

I asked this in the shoutbox, but I'll ask again here: what does it mean, practically speaking, that they "rescinded the penalty."

They just deduct the five minutes from the stat sheet? They have to call both teams back together to replay the last minute so Z has a chance to play? What?