Jonathan Bernier, Bryz and the options

Guest Digityman

I guarantee if you trade for Bernier this year, this very board--and Flyer fans in general--will be running him out of town in less than 20 months. Guaranteed.

And in the meantime Coots or whomever will be having quite the nice career elsewhere.

No, no, and no.

Coots and a 2nd for a journeyman goalie? The guy has potential, has been good so far this year, but he has 24 career NHL wins in 53 starts. Also as previously mentioned the Kings have a logjam at Center.

I guarantee if you trade for Bernier this year, this very board--and Flyer fans in general--will be running him out of town in less than 20 months. Guaranteed.

And in the meantime Coots or whomever will be having quite the nice career elsewhere.

Couldn't disagree more.

I think we know a quality goalie when we see one.

It's just that it's been so long since we've seen one in orange & black.

I think Philly would actually have to see a quality goalie before agreeing or disagreeing with that claim. My chips are on the "no" and "will run him out anyway" squares.

Couldn't disagree more.

It's just that it's been so long since we've seen one in orange & black.

I think 90% of the board was on board with the Bryz signing when it happened!!!

• Like 1

@Hexy27

i remember a lot of people wanting a "someone solid" to help Bobdrovsky step into the starting role . Short term, maybe two years, a solid vet like Vokun to help steady the young fella, Boosh wasn't inspiring any confidence and Lavy was not managing the situation well at all.

I thought Bryz would be good, it was all he needed to be, we had Pronger , Mez, Coburn, Grossmann as our top 4 defenCemen all he needed to do was Not poop in the sheets and we'd be solid...

who knew he was as untrustworthy in a big situation as he was last year ? outside of aziz there weren't a whole lot of guys that were saying he sucked. we were all saying the contract was too long and at too high a cap number . i believe someone coined the term "shot our goalie situation in the face 51 million times", an all time classic quote, i use in many other contexts so it's not like we were lining the streets with palms for Ilya's arrival.

• Like 1

@Hexy27

Maybe I was just surprised there was anyone on board with it?

In the interest of full disclosure, not only was I on board with it, I lobbied for it (for getting Bryz. Not even I hit my head hard enough that I was on board with the actual contract once the terms were disclosed!)

the wrinkle to this whole discussion is that quick hasn't been very good in LA this season, while bernier has made the most out of his chances. bernier may not be the odd man out, ultimately.

the wrinkle to this whole discussion is that quick hasn't been very good in LA this season, while bernier has made the most out of his chances. bernier may not be the odd man out, ultimately.

So, trade for Quick?

@ruxpin

who knows? he has the higher cap hit and would return the bigger package...and is currently being outplayed, soooooo.....

then again, quick has another one of those insane contracts that goes on forever, so i wouldn't want the flyers to go anywhere near him. the only thing guaranteed about goalies is that they are going to suck eventually. locking in that long is just crazy.

• Like 1

In the interest of full disclosure, I was one of the tools who thought the Bryz signing was a good move. Seemed to have good stats, but I was a little worried about the "product of the system in Phoenix" theory. I think Mike Smith is better than Bryz, but if he showed up in O&B, his stats would plummet from top 5 to top 20. Not saying Bryz is not crap, cause he is, but the Flyers do not have a very goalie friendly system, esp when compared to the goalie heaven of Phoenix.

I guess I was just happy/relieved there was finally (what I percieved to be) an answer to our 2 decade search for a true #1 tender.....little did I know....

• Like 1

@ruxpin

who knows? he has the higher cap hit and would return the bigger package...and is currently being outplayed, soooooo.....

then again, quick has another one of those insane contracts that goes on forever, so i wouldn't want the flyers to go anywhere near him. the only thing guaranteed about goalies is that they are going to suck eventually. locking in that long is just crazy.

Martin Brodeur says 'hello'.

I don't know if Lundqvist would survive in Philly. I haven't seen the Rangers win the Cup in almost 20 years. So at some point, Lundqvist just didn't bail them out or "stand on his head" enough.

• Like 2