Calgary Flames offer sheet Ryan O'Reilly

EDI-Flyer

@flyercanuck

Would it cost a first? More like a couple of 2nds no? Note: I have no idea, too lazy to look it up....

Apparently would cost them a 1st and a 3rd if done on ave contract value...

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2012/6/26/3117738/2012-13-NHL-Restricted-Free-Agencyrfa-compensation-table-offer-sheets

I think this is a solid move by Calgary. When they drafted this summer they were intent of building their team up the middle.

Kudos to them, I highly doubt the Avalanche will match as they are a team struggling for cash, probably the main reason why O'Reilly has held out.

@hf101 He's getting overpaid a bit, but damn, the Flames have needed a #1 stud center for DECADES!! If I'm the Aves I take the picks and run. If they miss the playoffs, they might have 2 lottery picks, a VERY good year to have that in your back pocket. They could almost move up and get any one they wanted......geeesh.

• Like 1

@hf101 He's getting overpaid a bit, but damn, the Flames have needed a #1 stud center for DECADES!! If I'm the Aves I take the picks and run. If they miss the playoffs, they might have 2 lottery picks, a VERY good year to have that in your back pocket. They could almost move up and get any one they wanted......geeesh.

The Aves already have Duchene and Stasyny as their #1, 2 guys. Probably one of the reasons why O'Reilly didn't want to return because he is then slated as the #3 center.....commanding #3 money.

@hf101 If I'm the Ave's, I trade away Stasney, a team like the Leafs, Flames, Blue Jackets, who knows, Mike Richards for O'Riley....stranger things have happened. If You said Jeff Carter, I 'would not believe you....lol.

In related news, looks like the Flames would have been obligated to place O'Reilly on waivers since he played in the KHL after Jan 19. Could you imagine giving up your 1st and 3rd only to have someone else grab him off waivers?

@AJgoal Ya have to wonder if the Flames knew about that clause before they made the offer sheet.....certainly did not look like it. OR...The Aves worked with the Flames behind the scenes to offer sheet him at a price they thought they could afford, and would not have to worry about the Flames offer sheeting him and just keeping him. Highlly illelgal per league rules, but stranger things have happened. The Flames then overpay for a prospect with picks etc to pay them back. Any future Aves and Flames deal should therefore be scrutinized.

Yeah, be interesting to see if the Flames end up with him next season. Though I will chuckle a little if the trade deadline is February 27...

The Aves wouldn't be able to trade him till next summer ? , similiar as in Nashville couldn't trade Weber for a year.

@AJgoal Ya have to wonder if the Flames knew about that clause before they made the offer sheet.....certainly did not look like it. OR...The Aves worked with the Flames behind the scenes to offer sheet him at a price they thought they could afford, and would not have to worry about the Flames offer sheeting him and just keeping him. Highlly illelgal per league rules, but stranger things have happened. The Flames then overpay for a prospect with picks etc to pay them back. Any future Aves and Flames deal should therefore be scrutinized.

That's Windsor Spitfire thinking. :P

Didn't O'Reilly originally want $4.5 a year from the Avs?

@flyercanuck You have to admit, the scenario I layed out would be pretty slick if they really pulled it off. Don't think enemy GM's would be putting their careers in ohter GM's hands though. I heard Ryan was asking for the 5 mill range from the start, so looks like he made out like a bandit. Some other GM's have to be PISSED that he got that contract, because every agent worth their salary will be using it as a compareable and say it's precedent setting.

@jammer2

I don't get it. If O'Reilly is asking for $4.5 million (which is what i heard) why would the Avs get Calgary to offersheet him at $5 million just to match?

Honestly, if the Avs were smart, they would have let Calgary have him.

Edited by flyercanuck

@flyercanuck Yeah, see what you are saying, the Aves would have made out the best just letting the Flames take him. I was thinking if there was another GM who was offering more cash, you approach Calgary to put an offer through for slightly more than he wanted, just to make it look legit, and in the process shut the door on another team offering more. Perhaps I put to much thought into this one....LOL!

Hilarious story on this whole fiasco from a Flames perspective, some of it (the start) just re-hash's what we know, but if you scroll down a bit, you see 1. 2. and 3.....options that were available to the Aves instead of what they did, re-sign the kid right away.

The pic of Bubbles with the Flames hat is worth posting this thing alone!! Hilarious!!

http://thehockeywrit...-your-teams-gm/

Edited by jammer2