Stuggles In St. Louis

HockeyLife

The Blues have been struggling since the first couple games of the shortened season. It's very frustrating considering us blues fans got real used to the success of last years reguar / 2nd round playoff appearance The Blues are really struggling getting goals which is hard to grasp with all the fire power this team has. Halak's early season injury seemed to really effect this team, and Elliot who had a dream season last year save % is in the 8.00's Jake Allen has stepped up in the back up role now that halak is healthy.

Other huge issues is that Veteran Andy Mcdonald is on Injured Reserve along with promising Russian Prospect Vladimir Tarasenko

The Blues have recalled 3 players Cracknell, Murray, Porter which have no where near the talent that

Mcdonald & Tarasenko Have

How Long Do You Guys Think The Struggles Will Continue?

vg6vekhfcduc3gor038iccbbg.gif

The Blues blues do not surprise me, I picked them to be a lower end playoff team, most of what I read had the Blues first or second in the West. I just am not drinking the koolaid. The reasons are simple. Elliott and Halak are system goalies, they are average, played way over their heads last year. Second, what goes up tends to come down, they played over their head last year under Hitchcock and a certain leveling off must occur. Third, while I love Shattenkirk and Pieterangelo and think they are one of the top defensive duos in the game the rest of the blue line is average at best. Lastly, the forwards don't have that go to guy, Perron and Backes are solid but not the carry a team for a week or two at a time, last year everyone pitched in but without the one big boy to carry the team they were exposed come playoff time. Don't get me wrong, I like the team as assembled, but something is missing.

I'm a huge T.J Oshie fan, but the point production is not consistant. The whole Blues team is not very fantasy hockey friendly. All good dependable players, but they play close 2-1 and 3-2 games. If I'm the Blues I look at tryhing to get a scoring center to take the heat off Oshie. Stewart is another on of theose guys who is maddening. Has all the skill to be a star power forward and brings his A game about once a week. Backes is a great captain, really respect that guy. If I'm the Bllues, I hold on to Piets and Shattenkirk for deal life, unless they get a lottery pick for Shattenkirk....a high lottery pick.

Edited by jammer2

a

The Blues blues do not surprise me, I picked them to be a lower end playoff team, most of what I read had the Blues first or second in the West. I just am not drinking the koolaid. The reasons are simple. Elliott and Halak are system goalies, they are average, played way over their heads last year. Second, what goes up tends to come down, they played over their head last year under Hitchcock and a certain leveling off must occur. Third, while I love Shattenkirk and Pieterangelo and think they are one of the top defensive duos in the game the rest of the blue line is average at best. Lastly, the forwards don't have that go to guy, Perron and Backes are solid but not the carry a team for a week or two at a time, last year everyone pitched in but without the one big boy to carry the team they were exposed come playoff time. Don't get me wrong, I like the team as assembled, but something is missing.

I'm a huge T.J Oshie fan, but the point production is not consistant. The whole Blues team is not very fantasy hockey friendly. All good dependable players, but they play close 2-1 and 3-2 games. If I'm the Blues I look at tryhing to get a scoring center to take the heat off Oshie. Stewart is another on of theose guys who is maddening. Has all the skill to be a star power forward and brings his A game about once a week. Backes is a great captain, really respect that guy. If I'm the Bllues, I hold on to Piets and Shattenkirk for deal life, unless they get a lottery pick for Shattenkirk....a high lottery pick.

Agreed once again (Yave) The Blues are missing that down right star player, they all can get it done but every night its a different guy to step up which is nice at times... but it would be great to have a superstar that can get it done every night. I was hoping Oshie And Perron would be point per game players when healthy, but it doesnt look like they are ever going to get there considering they've been in the leauge for years now.. As far as Alex P. And Kevin Shat they are the future to build around, the Blues need to franchise tag Alex P. this off season which is the end of his rookie contract I expect him to ask for big time money, which he is worth.

@HockeyLife

Welcome to HF. I moved this topic to the NHL Forum with a link in the Blues forum to get more visibility by members and guests, as this allows topics in two places at the same time.

I don't really think the Blues are much different than most of the NHL. Other than Chicago having a storybook season there is only a one point difference within the other two divisional playoff teams Detroit and Nashville. Who also per say have been struggling to win consistently. Most of the Blues losses are by one point. There are 12 teams in the West within a 6 point range, and 6 of those will not make the playoffs. That is mighty tight!!

I wasn't fond of the Blues playing McDonald on the third line for a number of weeks he is a scorer and performs best in that role. Elliot seems to be a streaky goalie he did the same thing in Ottawa.

Any news on Taransenko as to his progress?