Briere interview last night on Comcast

Guest pensuck

Lisa Hillary interviewed him on Comcast phila. When she asked how he was being affected by trade rumors he said I know I'll be here til the end of the year. It doesnt sound like he's lifting his nmc. I cant imagine if they asked him to waive it to get a good young d man to help the club he'd say no. The more he keeps scoring the hotter the trade rumors will get.

I doubt he's going anywhere. NMC, likes the area, likes the team, has young kids.

I've been guilty of being a Briere basher several times but there is no denying the guys got talent and is absolutely clutch come playoff time. If an offer comes in for a young solid dman (just going to type that to avoid defenseman vs defenceman lol) you have to do what's best for the team and that's trade him. It would certainly be tricky persuading him to waive that NMC though.

I cant imagine if they asked him to waive it to get a good young d man to help the club he'd say no.

There's been a lot of talk about his family situation. He is a single father of 2 school age boys. The speculation is that he won't waive during the season and have to pull the boys out of school.

It isn't unheard of for a player to not waive their NMC/NTC. in 07-08, Mats Sundin refused to waive his NTC and finished the season with Toronto. He went to Vancouver as an UFA the next season and Toronto got nothing.

The risk Danny Briere is taking by not waiving his NMC is that he may be bought out at the end of the year. I'm not sure what the amount of money is that he would lose by being bought out, but I admire Danny for putting his kids FIRST and the money second.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan
  • Like 3

The risk Danny Briere is taking by not waiving his NMC is that he may be bought out at the end of the year. I'm not sure what the amount of money is that he would lose by being bought out, but I admire Danny for putting his kids FIRST and the money second.

At the end of this season DB has two seasons remaining on his contract at 3 and 2 million respectively, giving a total contract value of 5 million. He would receive 2/3 of this, IE $3.33 million. In other words it could potentially cost him $1.66 million. However given that over the 6 seasons (including this one) so far he has banked $44 million dollars I dare say he he is not too concerned. Also, should he be bought out I am confident another team would pick him up in a hurry allowing him to double dip on salary...

@AlaskaFlyerFan

I believe he has 3 sons. But you are right he has the NTC to make family decisions first.

I cant imagine if they asked him to waive it to get a good young d man to help the club he'd say no.

Briere is here to help this team win a cup. The organization may decide to buy him out or trade him during the off season, but as long as the Flyers are in contention of making the playoffs he will still be a Flyer. That race may go down to the last day of the reg season.

There's been a lot of talk about his family situation. He is a single father of 2 school age boys. The speculation is that he won't waive during the season and have to pull the boys out of school.

It isn't unheard of for a player to not waive their NMC/NTC. in 07-08, Mats Sundin refused to waive his NTC and finished the season with Toronto. He went to Vancouver as an UFA the next season and Toronto got nothing.

This is the same guy that was over in Germany playing hockey, right?

• Like 2

Lisa Hillary interviewed him on Comcast phila. When she asked how he was being affected by trade rumors he said I know I'll be here til the end of the year. It doesnt sound like he's lifting his nmc. I cant imagine if they asked him to waive it to get a good young d man to help the club he'd say no. The more he keeps scoring the hotter the trade rumors will get.

I think it can, and will happen. It's not like Briere is raising them himself. I'm sure he has family actually there with the kids when he's not so it's not like their by themselves. Money talks. When asked, He said he wanted to have a say IF or WHEN he was asked to waive it. Here's the transcript, doesnt sound like he's dead set against it from what I read.

http://www.csnphilly.com/sportsnetPhiladelphia/search/v/71679057/is-danny-briere-worried-about-trade-rumors.htm

First off i think db is a very classy guy. Someone who holds a lot of respect on that roster. When read and mcginn come back there's going to be a a surplus of forwards. I know Danny's clutch in the playoffs but to have a shot at a young dman while getting cap relief at the same time would help this team. That will let mcginn and read back in the lineup. Having gags back helps in losing db also. Jmo.

I think it can, and will happen. It's not like Briere is raising them himself. I'm sure he has family actually there with the kids when he's not so it's not like their by themselves. Money talks. When asked, He said he wanted to have a say IF or WHEN he was asked to waive it. Here's the transcript, doesnt sound like he's dead set against it from what I read.

http://www.csnphilly...rade-rumors.htm

Its very convenient for simple fans to evaluate based on our own values. But when you are a millionaire athlete, I don't think you play by the same rules. Losing 1.66 million is a huge deal. For that money I could hire a tutor to teach my kids. I don't think they would be devastated by a move. As another poster eloquently stated, he was in Germany playing hockey. I still contend that he would waive his clause if the Flyers really want to trade him

@CoachX " I still contend that he would waive his clause if the Flyers really want to trade him"

I believe so also. I think that would apply for 99% of all employees. Who would really want to work for an employer who no longer wants your services? The no trade is nice and all, but not many people would want the stress and potential poision atmosphere after you turn down your employers attempt to trade you. I know the family comes into play, the kids schooling, all that stuff is important.....but when push comes to shove, most would just want to move on....AND a legit shot at the cup when you have never won one has to be in the back of Danny's mind also.

Good point, FC. His kids weren't over there with him, though. He was only over there temporarily. Getting traded would be a permanent move.

That's my point.

Is it easier for him to see his kids from Germany, or from Boston or St. Louis?

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

Good point, FC. His kids weren't over there with him, though. He was only over there temporarily. Getting traded would be a permanent move.

Well yeah, but temporarily he could leave them in philly to finish the school year and then have them move. With the possible exception of Edmonton, I think every team in the NHL is closer than Germany.

Well yeah, but temporarily he could leave them in philly to finish the school year and then have them move. With the possible exception of Edmonton, I think every team in the NHL is closer than Germany.

Why doesn't he just give the kids back to their mom? Or put them up for adoption? Or leave them for wolves to raise in the forest?

Heck, that last bit worked for Rome, eh?

:ph34r:

Any money Briere "loses" in a buyout he will get right back in the contract he signs with another team. It's not like he wouldn't get a two million dollar offer (at least) from any number of teams.

Danny Briere controls Danny Briere's fate this season. He says he's not going anywhere?

Guess what? He doesn't have to go anywhere. And there is absolutely nothing the Flyers can do about it.

• Like 1

The dynamics of this situation make you completely right. If he decides not to leave, then he doesn't have to. The Flyers made this bed.

The issue of doing something about are up for anyone's specualtion. And how much what they can do will impact him is anyone's guess.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that the Flyers try to trade him. He refuses. If they know they are not going far in the playoffs, and will buy him out, they could send him to the 4th line and give other players better opportunities with more ice time. I'm not saying they will do this, but they definitely could

I still think your argument, other than the obvious fact of what his clause allows, is based on pure speculation and bias becasue you don't want Briere to move. We will see how this plays out and decided who has the plate of crow. I still say that if the Flyers want to move him to a contender, that he will waive his clause, and he will bring value back to the team.

The dynamics of this situation make you completely right. If he decides not to leave, then he doesn't have to. The Flyers made this bed.

The issue of doing something about are up for anyone's specualtion. And how much what they can do will impact him is anyone's guess.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that the Flyers try to trade him. He refuses. If they know they are not going far in the playoffs, and will buy him out, they could send him to the 4th line and give other players better opportunities with more ice time. I'm not saying they will do this, but they definitely could

I still think your argument, other than the obvious fact of what his clause allows, is based on pure speculation and bias becasue you don't want Briere to move. We will see how this plays out and decided who has the plate of crow. I still say that if the Flyers want to move him to a contender, that he will waive his clause, and he will bring value back to the team.

Yes, I have an irrational desire to keep a player that I have said numerous times I expect to be bought out at the end of next season. A player I thought they didn't need to sign, certainly not at that amount, certainly not at that length and certainly not because they "had to sign a #1 C."

The situation here is that my views are based in "reality" and yours, admittedly, in "opinion" and "speculation."

Given that your speculation about my motives is 100% wrong, forgive me if I take your speculation on other matters related to this situation for what that would indicate it is worth.

Again, I'll be pleased as punch if the Flyers get something in exchange for Briere. Happy as hell.

But the only person who is going to accept a trade of any sort is Danny Briere. Not you, me, Homer, Peter Luukko, Ralph Roberts, ruxpin, Gary Bettman, flyercanuck or Digity.

Spend all the time in the world speculating about what might happen if there is a deal proposed that Briere might be interested in if the team is completely out of the playoff hunt.

I'll spend my time in "reality."

Perhaps this is what he meant?

i.e. whether or not he would waive the NMC, he knows Homer and co. want him here for the playoffs. If they don't make them, then maybe things become different and a movement after the season becomes a possibility.

Also, in the shortened season I don't think (god forbid) the Flyers could technically be out of contention by the trade deadline (when the hell is the deadline BTW?) but that might be another scenario in which he'd be willing to waive the NMC -to get to a competitive team with a shot at a run.

Danny Briere is playoff money and every gm in the league knows it. If the flyers are still in playoffs he stays. If the flyers are not then one of those gms will overpay for him .

Yes, I have an irrational desire to keep a player that I have said numerous times I expect to be bought out at the end of next season. A player I thought they didn't need to sign, certainly not at that amount, certainly not at that length and certainly not because they "had to sign a #1 C."

The situation here is that my views are based in "reality" and yours, admittedly, in "opinion" and "speculation."

Given that your speculation about my motives is 100% wrong, forgive me if I take your speculation on other matters related to this situation for what that would indicate it is worth.

Again, I'll be pleased as punch if the Flyers get something in exchange for Briere. Happy as hell.

But the only person who is going to accept a trade of any sort is Danny Briere. Not you, me, Homer, Peter Luukko, Ralph Roberts, ruxpin, Gary Bettman, flyercanuck or Digity.

Spend all the time in the world speculating about what might happen if there is a deal proposed that Briere might be interested in if the team is completely out of the playoff hunt.

The only reality in your argument is that Briere cannot be traded unless he waives his clause. After that, everything you say is as much speculation asn anything I say.

It has been shown, season after season, that GM's will pay out bung for players they need at the deadline. Why you choose to acknowledge this is beyond me. I never said the Flyers would get a "22 year odl stud defenseman", you did. I did say they could get a valuable return, and I believe they would. Briere has definite value, his playoff history solidifies that. The only question is how much value? Again, thats speculation. If you want to argue about Briere's motivation, his kids school, whether he likes cheesesteaks or Eagles games, that's up to you. My reality, based on past actions by NHL Gm's at the trade deadline, tells me the guy is a hot comodity. My reality also tells me that Briere holds more value negotiating a potential new deal, or extension, now, with a new team, then he would if he waits until he is bought out.

You don't agree. Fine with me

The only reality in your argument is that Briere cannot be traded unless he waives his clause. After that, everything you say is as much speculation asn anything I say.

It has been shown, season after season, that GM's will pay out bung for players they need at the deadline. Why you choose to acknowledge this is beyond me. I never said the Flyers would get a "22 year odl stud defenseman", you did. I did say they could get a valuable return, and I believe they would. Briere has definite value, his playoff history solidifies that. The only question is how much value? Again, thats speculation. If you want to argue about Briere's motivation, his kids school, whether he likes cheesesteaks or Eagles games, that's up to you. My reality, based on past actions by NHL Gm's at the trade deadline, tells me the guy is a hot comodity. My reality also tells me that Briere holds more value negotiating a potential new deal, or extension, now, with a new team, then he would if he waits until he is bought out.

You don't agree. Fine with me

No, the question of trading him for Shattenkirk was a pretty popular rumor across the globe the past week. Sorry you missed it. Many have also speculated that since Gaustad was "worth" a 1 from Nashville last season (he wasn't) that Briere could bring the saame.

Possible? Absolutely. Likely? no.

Again, the "reality" here is what Briere has said and what the team has said. Now, one of my favorite quotes ever is "we have no interest in Comrie" - coming just before Clarke traded for Comrie. I know that guys and orgs say things they don't mean because they are the right thing to say when they are said.

But, the Flyers are not likely to be out of playoff contention (indeed, they are in the eight spot (barely) now) by the deadline. They are not likely to deal Briere if they are not out of contention (which seems to be a pretty universal sentiment). Briere is not likely to waive his NMC to go to, for example, a Nashville-type "contender" at the deadline. His value is also determined by his NMC and the fact that he can dictate where he goes.

Again - if they do get something for Briere this season I'll be pleased as punch.

They're not going to. I will bet all my remaining tokens on this site to that effect.

Wanna bet?

I accept.

@hf101 - how do I get that rolling? Happy to embargo my tokens.

I'll split my tokens equally amongst as many as would like.

And, with that, I'll go check how many freaking tokens I have. :)

EDIT: 4,034. Who knew?

EDITED again