Rangers looking to trade Gaborik

Guest hf101

Bruce Garrioch reports that the Rangers are softly shopping Gaborik around to test his value on the market.

Makes sense for the Rangers, the team is struggling Gaborik would likely be bought out in the summer as he has another year at 7.5M. Moving Gaborik makes room for Kreider.

Gaborik does have a NTC.

Which team would trade for Gaborik?

Marian has a very tradeable contract, he is a UFA for after next year, makes 7.5 mill a year, but is coming in around 70-75 pts (except for 10-11 when he played 62 games and had under 50 pts). You get him for the end of this year and two potential runs. As long as they are not asking for the sun and moon in return, I can see a few contenders being interested.

No real room for him on Detroit's team, unless we dump Johan Franzen. However, if that were the case, it would change the dynamic of the scoring lines, particularly the power play.

Edited by WingNut722

No doubt the guy is talented but as pointed out already, that's a hefty price tag.

For the Flyers fans saying Briere should be shopped and that he would fetch something good for a contender, the Rangers doing this with Gaborik is the same thing.

If he does get moved, Rangers will get something pretty decent in return.

@jammer2

that's what I mean about showing just how far out of grace. I agree with your comment 100%... which points all the more to how displeased they must be for them to be damaging his trade value when they're trying to be rid of him. (if that's the true case)

• 2 weeks later...

@Tommy C

Probably ones that can manage more than 35 playoff points in a 12 year NHL career?

Double edged sword there... Gaborik may not dance well, but he can sure as hell make sure you get there.

You need him in the regular season then Briere once you're in the playoffs!

@Polaris922

Did you see him play for the Rangers last postseason?

Neither did anyone else.

I'm not arguing he disappears in the playoffs. I'm just saying... and your team is an example of that right now... you have to get there first. And Gaborik is a great goal scorer. I think put him with a true playmaker... a Crosby or Giroux... and he'd really go to town. Heck Malkin disappears a most playoffs too... but I'm not clamoring to be rid of him anytime soon for it.

@Polaris922

Malkin has more points in ONE playoff run than Gaborik has in his entire 12 year career.

Malkin had one kick butt playoff run and one good one, yes. He's 50/50 in the playoffs, some good some bad. But if you're building a team based solely on playoff performers (i.e. Briere)... you'll always be on the outside looking in. You gotta get there first. I understand you don't like him because he disappears that time of year, but again if you can pick up a 30-40+ goal scorer it goes a long ways to getting you there, and that's the first step.