Harry Z's latest hit

Guest pensuck

Defiantly a shoulder to the head but the guy was very low and turning. The problem he may have is just leaving the ice at the time of impact. I'm thinking he gets a couple games. But damn what a hit!!!

• Like 1

He shouldn't have left his feet. What an awesome hit though However it was a bit unnescessary becasue the player was just inside the blue line...he couldn't score from there

Defiantly a shoulder to the head but the guy was very low and turning. The problem he may have is just leaving the ice at the time of impact. I'm thinking he gets a couple games. But damn what a hit!!!

He shouldn't have left his feet. I didn't think they were going to call a penalty until the guy got hurt, but it was probably the right call.

Huh? You don't hit somebody because they are in a position to score. You hit them when they have or just rid themselves of the puck! It's called checking. It's called hockey.

my comment was soaked in sarcasm based off an argument from his previous hit last game

I wish he had kept his feet on the ice

I'll ask this question here as well as the game chat.

Is it a suspension for leaving your feet on any hit, or just a suspension on a head shot? I don't think this hit by Z was a head shot, but it was a charge in which he elevated himself. Thus is the 5min major and a game misconduct for head butting enough?

I guess I need the video.

@hf101

Any "intent to injure" is 5 and a game... The way you guys are describing it he launched himself up into the hit and made head contact (ala Kronwall)? If so I'd say he'll get a couple games, especially if there's an injury.

I can't say it was intent to injure. It was more a hit with a lot of speed. But he did elevate at impact or in a sense of bracing for the hit.

Intent is the key word.... I don't think Z intended to hurt or injure the player. Just prior tp contact, he bent his knees and squatted. As the contact ocurred, he started to lift into the hit but the skater started going lower. When Harry made contact he looked to me like he was aiming for the chest, but by coming up, while the other guy was going down, there was head contact. Its kinda like when a DB lowers his shoulder to hit a RB, but the RB goes even lower.

I dont think this should be a suspension. He got 5 and a game. Penalty assessed

• Like 1

I don't think he targeted the head, but he does jump before impact. Hey they let Kronwall do it all the time so I think he'll get time served.

It's not a "hit" though. Leaving his feet makes it a bit dirty, which is my exact knock on Kronwall. He had him lined up well enough, no need to jump into it.

No suspension though. The 5 + game is enough.

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 1

I don't think he targeted the head, but he does jump before impact. Hey they let Kronwall do it all the time so I think he'll get time served.

It's not a "hit" though. Leaving his feet makes it a bit dirty, which is my exact knock on Kronwall. He had him lined up well enough, no need to jump into it.

But this is the NHL, not exactly fair. He's not the superstar red wing like Kronwall. AND, he just had a five plus ten last game. It sounds bad in media for that guy to go unpunished. He will be suspended, but it won't be based on the actual merits of the hit.

• Like 1

@hf101

Any "intent to injure" is 5 and a game... The way you guys are describing it he launched himself up into the hit and made head contact (ala Kronwall)? If so I'd say he'll get a couple games, especially if there's an injury.

It reminds me of a Kronwall hit on Voracek last year and I was adamant that it should have been a penalty and suspension. As far as this hit is concerned I feel the same way. However, the NHL is consistently inconsistent and Kronwall didn't get a suspension. I'm sure Harry Z will.

I guess Harry Z has a reputation as a head hunter but Kronwall doesn't. (please pick up on my sarcasm because I am laying it on pretty thick)

But this is the NHL, not exactly fair. He's not the superstar red wing like Kronwall. AND, he just had a five plus ten last game. It sounds bad in media for that guy to go unpunished. He will be suspended, but it won't be based on the actual merits of the hit.

I liked this, but it bears repeating.

I'm late to this, No need to leave his skates there. But it's important to note that he did not have 5+10 in the Washington game - the NHL rescinded the penalties. so if there's a suspension, they shouldn't take that into consideration.

I'm late to this, No need to leave his skates there. But it's important to note that he did not have 5+10 in the Washington game - the NHL rescinded the penalties. so if there's a suspension, they shouldn't take that into consideration.

I know the rules say you can't leave your feet. And within those rules, Z should not have done so. But it is damned hard when you are playing a sport where hitting is a major part, to take away that instinct.

Boxers don't punch with their arms extended already. They gets their hips an legs behind it. football players "load up" before a tackle. In a hitting situation you are trying to inflict punishment on the player and stop whatever action said player is doing. Whether you are tryining to knock out an opponent, separate the man from the ball, or stop a rush toward the goal, you hit with power and force. That is what Harry was doing. There is no way he was "intentionally trying to hurt another player"

If the guy he Harry Z hit was indeed injured, he should get 4 games. If not, then 2 at the most. The problem is two-fold for me, (1) he left his feet to hit the man at full speed (2) he was just let off the hook for a questionable hit last game.This one looked worse, even though the Sens player didn't have his head up, and left himself vulnerable to a potentially serious injury. If he's going to be a feared but good player (and I like that element to Harry's game) he has to be able to be more aware of time and situation for doing something like that. That major power play could have cost the Flyers in a close game today in a season where EVERY game means something.

To me he did not leave his feet until after the contact, then, just his back foot. The other guy was entering the zone with his head down (Dumb, Dumb). I hope the league doesn't penalize players for checking players with the puck who skate into their offensive zone with their heads down. If he gets suspended, I hope it is for unintentional contact to the head. But, basically that was a good hit.

• Like 2

I think he surely gets at least a game but I agree with you on Kronwall

I think it's idiotic that such a hit would be a penalty.

Skate into the zone with your head down? Whose fault is that hit? (If that's the case, everyone should just skate into the offensive zone with their heads down, and no one could check them.)

It's called a hockey play. He hit the guy who had the puck head-on.

• Like 2

I just can't get past this "time and place" element. We all look at things with the advantage of hindsight. Had Z hit the guy, and no penalty was called, all we would be hearing is what an awesome hit it was. But since that isn't the case, he should be more slective of when to hit people. I would think that if it was that easy to get a hit like that, we would see it happeneing all the time. I watch higlights and only see a few of those kind of hits.

Again, Z was trying to play hard and was not trying to injure the other guy. He was trying to deliver a hard hit and show that side of his game.

Of course, next time he can make sure his doesn't hit anyone like that. He can wait and playit safe. That way, when he is back in the minors, he will have things to think about