Most overrated by team Eastern Conference

yave1964

Following up from the most overrated player by team in the Western conference earlier this week

Devils: Travis Zajac. Has done less than nothing for three years.

Islanders: Michael Grabner. Skates really really fast. Thats about it.

Rangers: Brad Richards. A low level number one, high level number two making half the money in New York. A solid player but at this point way, way overpaid.

Flyers: Danny Briere. Has slipped for the past few years, still getting big time minutes in spite of poor production.

Penguins: Marc-Andre Fleury. Product of the system, ala Jimmy Howard.

Bruins: Milan Lucic. Has stepped back for two years in a row and completely was missing in the playoffs last season.

Sabres: Tyler Myers. Like Lucic has regressed instead of taking the next step.

Canadiens: P.K. Subban. Toots his own horn a lot for a guy who really hasnt done anything yet in his career.

Senators: The ghost of Sergei Gonchar.

Maple Leafs: Nikolai Kulemin. After 30 goals two years ago, has 9 in his past 92.

Hurricanes:Alexander Semin. Former teamates still sniping about hat a poor teamate he was. Only four goals in 20 games.

Panthers: Stephen Weiss. Another guy who has watched his game erode. Trade him now while you still can.

Lightning: Ryan Malone. A Ryan Clowe playalike who is also circling the drain.

Capitals: Ovie. Cmon, obvious choice. Just a shell of his former self.

Jets: Zach Bogosian. Gets injured regularly and does not play to potential when healthy. A near perfect definition of a bust.

Thanks for reading. Next week I will post the most underrated by team.

Yave,

At first glance I would have to say I agree on most of the names you have on the list...

Might swap Leino for Myers though!

Aargghhhhh!!! How did I miss Leino!!!! Overrated for three organizations!!

@yave1964 I have never been a big Zajac fan. I can see Henrique taking over the number one center slot eventually. What has happened to Milan's game, this guy went from a beast 2 years ago to a guy going through the motions....I wonder if there is an injury we don't know about? He's a punk for being so selective with his fighting partners, so that put's him on my s**t list anyways.

I think it's to early to call Bogosian a bust. I'll admit, he is not treading upwards by any means, but I still think the book is out/open on him. He's a great skater who loves to play physical.....so those are two big things on the plus side for him. He does not seem to be devoping mentally, making a lot of repetitive mistakes etc.....but he is still young for a dman and even the offense may come in time Plus, he has been injured a lot, so his development has been stunted due to that also

. Even if he does not evolve scoring wise, I still think his skating and toughness will be enough to grind out a nice little career.....BUT he was a really high pick, so for the Jets to get his true value/potential, the points will have to come. If he does become a bust, the Jets can at least blame it on the Thrasher management team...lol.

Edited by jammer2

Aargghhhhh!!! How did I miss Leino!!!! Overrated for three organizations!!

Leino lucked out in Philly, wound up really clicking with Briere and Hartnell. I don't think he was overrated here particularly, he knew his role and carried it out well for 825k PA. Only problem was he decided to cash in big time (which I can't really blame him for) instead of considering whether Sabres were the right fit for him. If he was getting paid 1.5 mill a year instead of 6 mill (4.5 cap hit) this year then I would be happy to have him on my team...

The Isles' Grabner does have 8 goals so far (Mar 4th)... I'd consider that decent output for a guy making 3mil.

I don't know a ton about him, but you'd think in the right situation, he'd also be a great PK'er with that speed.

@fishbulb Grabner is the Isles primary penalty killer, has been for a few years now. 2 years ago he had 6 short handed points.

Problem with the Isles is everyone on the team is pretty well defined within their roles. Nobody is really tremendously under or over rated, they are what they are. A bad team with no direction, guys like Nabakov and Visnovsky could have qualified but they are aging vets with glaring holes in their games as are Boyes, Carkner, Reasoner and half the team. I picked Grabner because I am sinply not a fan of his style player but I kind of blew it . If I could go back and pick again here the obvious choice is Josh Bailey, who at his current rate can go right from long term prospect to the senior league without a hitch. Wasted potential has his picture beside it in the dictionary.

@yave1964 Bailey played for my hometown Windsor Spitfires. I always had the feeling he would not amount to much. Not to big, no blazing speed and just average smarts. Has decent passing skills, but he needs to be in the top six to utilize it properly, which I don't see him cracking any time soon....trade bait. Somebody will take a chance the can develop him.

Fleury huh? Okay so he had a horrid playoff series last year, but does that really take away from his accomplishments? He got us to one Final, and won another with questionable defensive efforts in front of him. Up till this year, I'd have put Staal way ahead of anybody on the overrated remark... now? Hmm... if it's Fleury it's just the result of his last playoff series. He's already known for his inconsistency in there and I don't know that he's thought all that highly of by anyone... not enough to be overrated anyway. I don't hear anyone thinking of him as a Broedeur, Rinne, or Lundqvist.

I guess I'll go with your assessment more as a lack of anyone else being overrated than anything else. LOL

@Polaris922 I consider Fleury a slightly above average goaiie with a good scoring team in front of him, really....his career stats bear this out.. I will say this though, if he sucks in the playoffs again, I honestly believe the Pens will start aggressviely shopping for a replacement....quickly.

• Like 1

Fleury huh? Okay so he had a horrid playoff series last year, but does that really take away from his accomplishments? He got us to one Final, and won another with questionable defensive efforts in front of him. Up till this year, I'd have put Staal way ahead of anybody on the overrated remark... now? Hmm... if it's Fleury it's just the result of his last playoff series. He's already known for his inconsistency in there and I don't know that he's thought all that highly of by anyone... not enough to be overrated anyway. I don't hear anyone thinking of him as a Broedeur, Rinne, or Lundqvist.

I guess I'll go with your assessment more as a lack of anyone else being overrated than anything else. LOL

That is the thing with the Pens, you hit it on the head, nobody now that Staal is gone stands out. Maybe Letang because he cannot stay healthy but really, IMHO Fleury fits the bill. A goalie gets too much credit when a team wins and too much blame when they lose, very rarely is a goalie capable of carrying a team on his shoulders, like a Rinne, I see Fleury as a Jimmy Howard type, he wins because of the enormous talent around him, Not saying he is a stiff, he is talented but on a bad team he could not carry them to the next level, again, in my opinion. Thanks for the input.

• Like 1