4 Games Suspension for Harry Z

hf101

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 4 games for a first suspension?

• Too Much
    • Not Enough
    • The Right Amount

A bit heavy handed. I didn't think it was so egregious, it was shoulder to the gord to be sure, but did he leave his feet before contact? Looked close to me.....

And can stop assessing punishment based on whether a guy gets hurt? The penalty is for the nature of the dangerous play, not its outcome.

Edited by sarsippius
  • Like 1

He clearly launched. It was the first time I'd seen THAT angle, but he clearly launched. It's exactly the type of hit they're trying to eliminate. I thought 3-5 without that angle, so I'm fine with 4.

I agree with others that the league has yet to be consistent in what they meet out, but taken on its own, I'm good with 4.

I am fine with 4 games. Let's be honest; this was a brutal hit. Headshots is something that has been plaguing the league for way too long and ended careers of way too many good players.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

Lolol. This league is a joke. Neil gets one game for going after two players heads during the playoffs and gets one game ? Wtf is that ?! I want fairness and something that makes sense. The second seems less likely however coming from this nhl office.

I figured this would be the case, but it still baffles me that one player who has the red wing on his jersey can make a career out of hits like that and never get a hearing with his former teammate that heads supplemental discipline but Harry z in his his first offense gets 4 games.

• Like 2

@flyercanuck

i think that's what pisses me off most. I believe 4 games is slightly excessive but the fact tha Alfredsson gets away with what he did just makes it that much harder to take. And I don't think we're homers for thinking that there's bias.

Harry Z is still stuck on stupid.

Rinaldo is showing what a credible pest is good at - drawing players like Alfredsson into stupid penalties.

Z is far too much on the Carcillo side of the "stupid" equation - forcing his teammates to kill off a major and then play shorthanded for the rest of the game.

Guy certainly has heart and courage, but is sorely in need of brain.

• Like 1

Guy certainly has heart and courage, but is sorely in need of brain.

I'm afraid you're right Rad...Harry's making an impression that's for sure...the wrong one. I know he's dying to crack the lineup and find a place in the NHL but this is not the way to do it.

Like Rux this was the first time I'd seen that angle, the one they showed on the "discipline video" from Shanahan. It's clear he "launched" himself and the contact, intentional or not was to the head...exactly the type of hit they're trying to eliminate from the game.

On a related topic though...how about some consistency? Forget Neal last year, forget Franzen...how about a little consistency in the same game??? Jeez. Alfredson crosschecks Rinaldo in the face and .... nada. Nothing. Not even a review.

I'm afraid you're right Rad...Harry's making an impression that's for sure...the wrong one. I know he's dying to crack the lineup and find a place in the NHL but this is not the way to do it.

Like Rux this was the first time I'd seen that angle, the one they showed on the "discipline video" from Shanahan. It's clear he "launched" himself and the contact, intentional or not was to the head...exactly the type of hit they're trying to eliminate from the game.

On a related topic though...how about some consistency? Forget Neal last year, forget Franzen...how about a little consistency in the same game??? Jeez. Alfredson crosschecks Rinaldo in the face and .... nada. Nothing. Not even a review.

The only thing consistent about the NHL's disciplinary "system" is inconsitency.

With Z's speed and determination, you'd think they could tone down the stupid. But really the only guy who can do that is Z.

I thought he was jumping to avoid the contact, should have tried that excuse.

i think 4 games is just a little high, 2 or 3 would sit better with me, i mean the guy did have his fing head down coming across the blue line.

he clearly left his feet and the initial contact was with the stupid ****'s head so yes a suspension is not unwarranted, I think the hit the previous game played a roll in this punishment as well, that's a questionable hit and a hit the league wants to eliminate in two days so message sent. we'll see if message received.

i wonder if wellwood gets a chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the organization now ?

i think 4 games is just a little high, 2 or 3 would sit better with me, i mean the guy did have his fing head down coming across the blue line.

he clearly left his feet and the initial contact was with the stupid ****'s head so yes a suspension is not unwarranted, I think the hit the previous game played a roll in this punishment as well, that's a questionable hit and a hit the league wants to eliminate in two days so message sent. we'll see if message received.

i wonder if wellwood gets a chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the organization now ?

!

Ah yes the ol' "jumping to avoid contact" absurdity, forgot all about that one. I believe Neal patented that excuse, which is why Harry couldn't use it.

...must've been a phone interview when he came up with that crap... otherwise the grin would've betrayed him.

A bit heavy handed. I didn't think it was so egregious, it was shoulder to the gord to be sure, but did he leave his feet before contact? Looked close to me.....

And can stop assessing punishment based on whether a guy gets hurt? The penalty is for the nature of the dangerous play, not its outcome.

I couldn't agree more. Kinda like the high sticking extra 2 for blood. High sticking is DANGEROUS! and if the penalty is in place to get guys to keep their sticks down then just make it four min all the time (why do I feel I'm in the minority here with the 4 min?). I know with high sticking it's tough because you have guys lifting sticks, hitting players in the face with either their backswings or follow throughs on shots and let's face it, accidents happen. BUT if the penalty exists for player safety, then the ruling should be made on the act, not the outcome