4 Games Suspension for Harry Z

hf101

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is the 4 games for a first suspension?

• Too Much
    • Not Enough
    • The Right Amount

@pensuck

The inconsistencies abound in the NHL. People say oh it was playoffs, or oh he's an all star, or oh it's the jersey... Lets face it... There is NO rhyme or reason. It's anybody's guess at any time. Kronwall makes that exact same hit game in game out without even so much as a minor.

If anyone figures out the method let us all know.

• Like 1

@pensuck

The inconsistencies abound in the NHL. People say oh it was playoffs, or oh he's an all star, or oh it's the jersey... Lets face it... There is NO rhyme or reason. It's anybody's guess at any time. Kronwall makes that exact same hit game in game out without even so much as a minor.

If anyone figures out the method let us all know. Scott Stevens made a living on those kind of hits.

• Like 1

@pensuck

If anyone figures out the method let us all know.

I think Kronwall is one the other side of the thin line between over the edge and a good play (more often than not).

Kronwall usually keeps his skates on the ground, for example.

He's also a guy that has demonstrated that he knows how to deliver a "good hit" so even some of his borderline calls may go in the other direction. You're simply not going to get that leeway as a rookie "trying to make an impact."

That said, there is no real rhyme or reason to how the NHL handles "discipline."

I would be totally fine with 4 games if everyone around the league was getting similar numbers for their first offenses... or their second.

It isn't Harry's Punishment that is out of line. It's fine with me. It's everyone else getting off easy by comparison that troubles me.

4 games is ridiculous for a first offence...

It's best not to look for any of either because when you do, you start to see Flyers being punished more severely than players on other teams. Think about Harry's trouble last week.

I actually am starting to wonder if the 4 games is a result of them not being able to suspend him for the "phantom knee" offense. Not as petty as that sounds though. I mean to suggest maybe the league thinks that what Harry did was pretty bad and dangerous, but because it technically wasn't illegal they knew they had to apologize and couldn't punish him for it even though they would have liked to have sent that message about such dangerous plays.

Maybe that's pushing it. Either way, that "incident" or lack thereof certainly affected the way they look at him now... and that's bias and that's not right, but it's part of humanity and it's part of the NHL.

That said, there is no real rhyme or reason to how the NHL handles "discipline."

While we're on the subject of High sticking, this is a recent pet pieve of mine. The pEnguins are geniuses at drawing these. I hate it. It makes me sick. They lift sticks like you say and it should be soOOOOOO obvious to anyone in a replay booth.

What's been annoying me more recently as well is players bending over and getting "high sticked" by a stick that is still below waist level.

How the HELL is that allowed to happen?

There need to be replays reviews of high sticks IMHO and in fact probably any major or double minor penalty. The penguins and some other teams have really started to use drawing these as a tactic like other teams practice left wing lock systems. it needs to be stopped. the rules are there to protect players, not to be exploited in order to get your team power plays late in tight games.

I know with high sticking it's tough because you have guys lifting sticks,

There need to be replays reviews of high sticks IMHO

I could get behind that. Review every potential high stick. But man, as I type that it gets me thinking of how I feel they need to have an official in a booth high above the ice to give one more perspective AND the ability to review replays quickly and radio down to the official on the ice what really happened quickly so nonsense like fake head throws or plays leaning into plays that normally wouldn't be penalties, as you mentioned, etc. It would slow the game down slightly but at least this garbage of getting calls wrong on a game by game basis would maybe go away.

There need to be replays reviews of high sticks IMHO and in fact probably any major or double minor penalty. The penguins and some other teams have really started to use drawing these as a tactic like other teams practice left wing lock systems. it needs to be stopped.

i'd say rather than in-game replay reviews, have the league start looking at tapes post game. publically levy fines for blatant dives/faked high sticks, etc.

be warned, though, that would bite every one. i know that we all think the flyers are pure and honest souls and only pittsburgh would get hit with the public shaming, but the reality is that dan carcillo was a flyer, and rinaldo currently is. the flyers will see their fair share of publicity from such a plan.

• Like 1

Am I the first to mention the obvious bias against Flyers players and bizarre leniency to players of certain other teams? No? Them carry on.

Briere noticed it right away when he came to the Flyers, how many more infractions they (and he) got called for as opposed to his experiences in Buffalo.

I had hoped Shanahan would be better than Campbell, but nope.

Briere noticed it right away when he came to the Flyers, how many more infractions they (and he) got called for as opposed to his experiences in Buffalo.

except, of course, that briere's highest PIM total came while he was in buffalo. but, you know, whatever. facts and all that.

• Like 1

I don't think you review everything. They're always going to miss calls. You just review stuff that resulted in penalties that maybe shoudln't have. The Penguins took two trips to the Cup Finals and one where they won the sucker using tactics like that and it makes me want to wretch. You can say what you want about the bullies, but at they usually tried to skirt around the rules or did stuff hoping no one saw them, or in most cases didn't even care ywho saw them, they just used brutality to their advantage, they rarely used rules designed to protect players as a pawn to give themselves an advantage. You can tell the practice these techniques of manipulating the refs. When their team's down, some coaches tell them, "You gotta work harder, take no shifts off, finish your checks, and execute, beat them to loose pucks, etc!" But you can tell Bylsma tells his team when they're down, "Okay, we can't win this one fair and square, start cheating so we can get power plays." And I'm seriously not okay with that.

The other one the penguins do that is my absolute rage inducing favorite is the holding of a defender's stick to make it look like he's hooking you. There's no good way to police that crap, not even with replay like we're talking about.

be warned, though, that would bite every one. i know that we all think the flyers are pure and honest souls and only pittsburgh would get hit with the public shaming, but the reality is that dan carcillo was a flyer, and rinaldo currently is. the flyers will see their fair share of publicity from such a plan.

Yeah... far and away more than he ever accumulated as a Flyer... far and away outpacing what he did as a Flyer... by a single whole minor penalty.

Someone alert the media.

except, of course, that briere's highest PIM total came while he was in buffalo. but, you know, whatever. facts and all that.

You can say what you want about the bullies, but at they usually tried to skirt around the rules or did stuff hoping no one saw them, or in most cases didn't even care ywho saw them, they just used brutality to their advantage, they rarely used rules designed to protect players as a pawn to give themselves an advantage.

not at all what i'm talking about. i'm talking about this stuff, stuff that the flyers never do ever ever never

never ever ever.

Yeah... far and away more than he ever accumulated as a Flyer... far and away outpacing what he did as a Flyer... by a single whole minor penalty.

Someone alert the media.

point is, the statement that things became markedly different for briere once he joined the flyers is baseless to the point of baseless. he was pretty much a PIM/game player by the time he got to buffalo, and it only continued when he moved to philly.

The idea that the Penguins get leniency because a Campbell was once there is ridiculous. The idea that the Flyers are somehow picked on when the rest of us get away with it is ridiculous. Your team receives the same inconsistency the rest of us do. Oh yeah the Pens were favored during your off side goal in the playoffs. Are you joking? When Giroux punched Crosby in the back of the head twice after the whistle from behind his back and nothing was called. When Hartnell acted like Letang decapitated him when in fact Letang's stick barely struck his shoulder pad.

The point is, every team gets away with embellishments, and every team gets away with holding the stick, and every team gets away with cheap shots here and there. EVERY team... not just the Pens, and not just against the Flyers. For some of you guys to continue to promote that schtick is just excuse making for your suffering. The Penguins cheated their way to a Cup now? Really? The entire season plus all four rounds of playoffs they just got away with it and the league supported that? You're absolutely in need of therapy if your reality has gotten that clouded. You probably watched one game and saw one missed call going our way and BAM! They shouldn't have the Cup!

Some of you are frustrated. Some of you are jealous. I just hope the ones who are grounded here on Earth are the vast representation of the Flyers faithful. Like I've said before, there are plenty of Pens fans that come to our games and whine and cry over every missed call or every call period... it's disgusting. They should be embarrassed. And in all blunt honesty, those of you crying up a storm about officiating and how it's the bane of the Flyers should be embarrassed too.

I disagree with that. Remember when we watched all the video posts by a Red Wings faithful of his hits? If you watch them he leaves his feet over half the time. That was my take on it anyway, which is why I use him as my example of a guy who is right on the edge, usually slightly over, and gets away with it all the time.

That stuff is totally different than what I'm talking about.

Those are two instances of gross embellishment. BUT they're also both instances in which Carcillo (who is no longer a Flyer the last time I checked) had actually been penalized. In both cases I think the correct call was made as he was legitimately cross checked, but the high stick (while technically illegal) was really a no harm no foul type situation.

I don't mean embelishing existing penalties to get a call, I mean manufacturing non existent penalties to get a call. That's what pretty much the ENTIRE penguins team does (not one Dan Carcillo) but mostly everyone on the team does systematically -it almost universally starts when they realize they're falling behind in a game that they're not winning by simply "playing hockey".

I've been watching them do it since this coach of theirs took over. Before him it was mostly just Crosby being a whiney cheap little brat. After Bylsma took over it became an institution.

i'm talking about this stuff, stuff that the flyers never do ever ever never

If that's the point, it's pretty baseless. Briere is a smart player and a veteran in this league... Now think about it... If Briere noticed he was getting called for stuff that he wouldn't have been called for before, isn't it reasonable to expect that he'd either: A) stop doing that stuff as much B) keep doing it, but be more careful and sneaky about it? The alternative that you're suggesting (i.e. Just keep doing everything exactly the same as he always had without changing a damn thing about his game) seems to be the least logical choice from a player like Briere.

We're not talking about a player like Dan Carcillo who doesn't seem to be able to control his actions at all or a player like Syd Crosby who doesn't think he should have to. We're talking about Daniel Briere, who has completely changed the way he's approached the game multiple times in his career.

point is, the statement that things became markedly different for briere once he joined the flyers is baseless to the point of baseless. he was pretty much a PIM/game player by the time he got to buffalo, and it only continued when he moved to philly.

radoran, on Mar 05, 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

wait, how did i miss that? kronwall has to file a freaking flight plan before every game. that guy is full on airborne for just about every hit he dishes out, ever. people here complain about the penguins getting the soft end of the dicipline stick, but kronwall is the single biggest blindspot the league has.