Guest AlaskaFlyerFan

1. 1. Is the Suspension....

• Too Much
    • Not Enough
    • Right Amount

Posted · Hidden by hf101, March 4, 2013 - Duplicate thread
Hidden by hf101, March 4, 2013 - Duplicate thread

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=212619

With 3:28 played in the third period, Kaleta issued a hard check from behind on Rangers center Brad Richards. The New York captain briefly left the game before returning, while Kaleta was given a major for checking from behind and a game misconduct.

"In spite of the fact that Kaleta does not push Richards with great force, he does so at an extremely dangerous distance from the boards ... Richards does not turn his back just prior or make any sudden movements that contribute to this illegal check," said NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan in Monday's video explanation of the suspension. "Kaleta is in full control of this play, and had ample opportunity to make a better decision."

The 26-year-old winger is no stranger to supplemental discipline, having been given a four-game ban for an illegal hit on Flyers forward Jakub Voracek in November of 2011, and had been fined for questionable hits on Devils forward Travis Zajac in October of 2010 and once more for another questionable hit against Tobias Enstrom of the Atlanta Thrashers in February of 2011.

Source

I agree with you guys. I think the suspension is consistent with Kaleta's history. The crosscheck itself was not at all vicious. Another few feet away from the boards and it might not have drawn a 2 min penalty.

Harry Z forst offense gets 4 games...Kaleta on his 3rd only gets one more game?? How does this seem fair????

I'm sorry but no way does that deserve FIVE games. Come on. I know he's a "repeat offender" and believe I have no love for Kaleta.

But he barely pushes Richards...a teeny tiny crosscheck. Yeah it was a stupid thing to do near the boards but you have to look at the play don't you? What Kaleta actually did?

I guess you don't. Not in this "new NHL"...

and like Razor says, Kaleta gets 5 and this is his what, 3rd offense? Harry gets 4 on his 1st?

This "system" is just plain whacked.

• Like 2

@All

Direct shot to the head versus a cross check in the back.

Harry Z - Targets the head...

Kaleta - Didn't target the head. Maybe his head hits the boards. Maybe not...

I think the leaving of the feet is what Harry Z really gets nailed for. There is really only one reason to jump up into a guy. If the skates stay on the ice there can always be the argument that the guy turned, head was down, etc.

@B21

Harry Z hit that idiot in his head because his head was down... very Lindrosian imo.

i agree the leaving his feet is the smoking gun, but to say Z targeted that ass hat's head is erroneous. the way that clown was skating he couldn't possibly be hit anywhere but in his head.

as for the Kaleta hit, boy that's an unfortunate turn of events for him it doesn't look vicious, he started the action at the faceoff circle, he definitely could have made a different play there, try to freeze the puck , pin richards to the boards. and here's where the repeat offender comes in i reckon, that doesn't look like 5 games worth of boarding or cross checking to me, but since he has a history, who is to say what is fair aside from Shanny, that's kinda f'd up .

@B21

Harry Z hit that idiot in his head because his head was down... very Lindrosian imo.

i agree the leaving his feet is the smoking gun, but to say Z targeted that ass hat's head is erroneous. the way that clown was skating he couldn't possibly be hit anywhere but in his head.

I can only buy the "head down" argument to a point. The guy's head was up just before the hit...long enough for him to start bracing for it. He gives a quick glance to make the pass. Nothing more. Not every player has Gretzky or Crosby like vision. More often than not, they have to at least glance in the direction of where they want to pass the puck. They don't need their clocks cleaned with an illegal shot to the head every time that happens. Z could have taken the body with his shoulder. He could have kept his feet on the ice and taken the head with his shoulder (illegal but not nearly as bad). He chose to leave his feet well before the hit to make sure he took the head.

Unless someone can explain to me another reason to leave one's feet in that situation...

As for Kaleta - yeah, the cross check itself is not that bad but the result was enough. Players need to start learning that.

Edited by B21

He chose to leave his feet well before the hit to make sure he took the head.

Just one question B, are you trying to sound ridiculous here?

"chose to leave his feet"

We have no idea what he "chose" in those few seconds after he came off the bench.

Unless someone can explain to me another reason to leave one's feet in that situation...

When skates come off the ice a split-second before impact then "bracing for the hit" explains it perfectly. So does "deliberately jumping." Only Harry knows for sure. At least he didn't use Neal's "I jumped to avoid contact" absurd embarrassment of an excuse. In fact Harry didn't make any excuses at all. He apologized to Lundin and said he respects Shanahan's decision.

"well before" (I told you a million times not to exaggerate) :P

But seriously this is just silly. Unless you're in the habit of measuring time in Planck constants...in that case yes, relatively speaking there was quite a bit of time before impact

"make sure he took the head"

for me - not saying you but for me... it's hard reading minds. Senior year in college we had 1 class in it but I skipped a lot so ...

@canoli

Just one question B, are you trying to sound ridiculous here?

"chose to leave his feet"

We have no idea what he "chose" in those few seconds after he came off the bench.

Well then what was it? A Turrets-like twitch that made him do it?

When skates come off the ice a split-second before impact then "bracing for the hit" explains it perfectly. So does "deliberately jumping." Only Harry knows for sure. At least he didn't use Neal's "I jumped to avoid contact" absurd embarrassment of an excuse. In fact Harry didn't make any excuses at all. He apologized to Lundin and said he respects Shanahan's decision.

Same excuse James Neal used..."bracing for the hit." I don't recall anyone here buying it. There's that double standard again. It's nice the he apologized. Cooke apologized to Savard, too. Just saying.

"well before" (I told you a million times not to exaggerate) :P

But seriously this is just silly. Unless you're in the habit of measuring time in Planck constants...in that case yes, relatively speaking there was quite a bit of time before impact

Well when you are talking about a play that took all of 2-3 seconds then yes - his skates were off the ice "well before" he made contact.

"make sure he took the head"

for me - not saying you but for me... it's hard reading minds. Senior year in college we had 1 class in it but I skipped a lot so ...

So I ask the question again....why leave your feet there? We know the "bracing for the hit" argument doesn't fly. No - none of us know what Harry Z was thinking. We can only go by his actions which tell me.....

You don't lift 200 pounds in the air on ice by "bracing for impact". Ever. You have to jump. He hopped to have a greater impact and reduce the impact to himself. It is what it is. I don't think he was aiming for the head, but his reckless leap increased the odds of it happening, and it did.

You come flying in at somebody it's almost irresistible to get a little extra lift into the hit. Not saying he was right to do it, just that many many times it's explained as away as "bracing for the hit" and it isn't all that crazy to think of it that way.

as far Neal he didn't leave it at "bracing" he tried to tell us he "jumped to avoid" contact....which obviously is about as ridiculous as it gets. Harry Z and Neal have nothing in common regarding their hits.

Oh they have a lot in common... they were both dirty, and they both got suspensions ;) I've thrown my share of body checks in the game, and never once did I leave my feet "bracing for a hit". If anything, when you brace for something, you dig your skates in, not leave them inches off the ice.