Julien rips Canadiens for Embellishment

Guest hf101

Are the Habs guilty of embellishment to lead the NHL in Power Plays? Or is Julien posturing his team for future games with Montreal?

Seems to me that Julien gets away with a bit of Ref rippin here. Not that that is a bad thing......

for more

Are the Habs guilty of embellishment to lead the NHL in Power Plays? Or is Julien posturing his team for future games with Montreal?

Seems to me that Julien gets away with a bit of Ref rippin here. Not that that is a bad thing......

for more

Another graduate of the John Tortorella School of Media Relations. I assume he is aware that Brad Marchand is on his team?

Whatever they are doing is working. If that is what it takes, I say send my Red Wings to acting class right now. Of course with our putrid power play It wouldn't matter much......

Another graduate of the John Tortorella School of Media Relations. I assume he is aware that Brad Marchand is on his team?

LMAO!!!! That right there is FUNNY! The real problem is he hits the nail on the head and his team will probably suffer for it with more calls. I have been bitching about the embellishment for years(regardless of who is doing it) and saying it embarrasses the game.

LMAO!!!! That right there is FUNNY! The real problem is he hits the nail on the head and his team will probably suffer for it with more calls. I have been bitching about the embellishment for years(regardless of who is doing it) and saying it embarrasses the game.

And the amazing thing is ALL teams do it to one degree or another. So the league needs to address it as a whole. Want to get rid of it? An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty bears a one game suspension upon review. If you are called for it, the league reviews it, and if they see embellishment on the video replay you're out a game. End of problem.

• Like 1

Like that?

I've come to accept it. For what it's worth - there have been some pretty glaring examples in the NHL (sorry but Carcillo's phantom stick takes the cake for me) but it's nothing like the acting in the NBA or soccer. We can take solace in that. Bottom line - players and coaches will do most anything to gain an edge even if it means bending or even breaking the rules every now and then. It's why Julien is griping when he has Marchand. It's why Tortorella goes on a rant every other week. It's why Crosby will try and draw a penalty from time to time. It's why Avery waived his stick in Brodeur's grill. It's why players who can barely skate will take a few liberties when no one is looking in an effort to goad a star player into taking a dumb penalty.

Let's face it - the hockey culture does little to discourage these kinds of "antics" and even embraces a lot of it (maybe not publicly). Diving is rarely mentioned as a major issue and it's been going on forever. Those "controversial" pressers (see Julien, Claude) sure do generate a lot of media buzz...and doesn't it make you want to watch the next Bruins/Habs game that much more? Didn't Lavi's tantrum at the end of last season only make the Pens/Flyers series that much more interesting?

A lot of the animosity is real but there is a lot of theater out there as well.

(sorry but Carcillo's phantom stick takes the cake for me)

I will start by acknowledging that Briere is one of the top offenders and then I will sight the patented "Letang Head Flail" as competition to go with Carcillo too. Ovechkin has been drama queen to the nines lately trying to draw calls. I won't include Hartnell as it is usually his inability to skate that knocks him down as often as not. I don't care if it is missed during the game as long as it is addressed and you start fining and suspending the offenders. The only way this works though is if it is across the board. This means stars like Crosby and Malkin are not immuned either.

As far as the "antics" being part of the game, I disagree, I don't think they belong but that is my take. I HATE when I see the Flyers do it, moreso than anyone else as it just feels cheap.

I will start by acknowledging that Briere is one of the top offenders and then I will sight the patented "Letang Head Flail" as competition to go with Carcillo too. Ovechkin has been drama queen to the nines lately trying to draw calls. I won't include Hartnell as it is usually his inability to skate that knocks him down as often as not. I don't care if it is missed during the game as long as it is addressed and you start fining and suspending the offenders. The only way this works though is if it is across the board. This means stars like Crosby and Malkin are not immuned either.

As far as the "antics" being part of the game, I disagree, I don't think they belong but that is my take. I HATE when I see the Flyers do it, moreso than anyone else as it just feels cheap.

My advice would be to get used to all of it...the diving, the hypocritical "calling out" and complaining by coaches, etc. It's all been around forever and doesn't seem to be going away any time soon.

Check out this spoof on the Julien's video featuring Marchand and other Bruins players diving while of course Julien complains about it!

• Like 1