Flyers @ Rangers, 5/3/2013

Guest brelic

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=49736#.UTXytnxxt15

PREVIEW 7:30 AM EST

Coming off a 2-1 win on Saturday, the Flyers (11-11-1) will look for their first three-game winning streak of the 2013 season. Standing in the way is the archrival New York Rangers (10-8-2). Tonight's game at Madison Square Garden starts at 7:30 p.m. and will be televised nationally on NBC Sports Network.

This is the third of five meetings between the teams this year, and the second and final one in New York. On January 24 in Philly, the Flyers made goals by Wayne Simmonds and Jakub Voracek hold up for a 2-1 win. Five nights later at MSG, the Flyers fell behind 2-0 and power play futility proved to be their undoing in a 2-1 loss. Kimmo Timonen got Philly back within a goal in the third period with a power play goal but two subsequent man advantages went to waste.

As with any meeting against the Rangers, the Flyers biggest challenge tonight is to avoid chasing the game. First of all, the Madison Square Garden ice surface is one of the worst in the league, which means a lot of bouncing pucks on would-be scoring chances.

Second and more important, these Rangers know how to shut things down defensively by taking away operating space and blocking shots. Third period comeback bids are all but futile against the Blueshirts. Dating back to the 2010-11 season, the Rangers are 65-0-3 (including 6-0-0 this year) when leading after two periods.

Many Flyers-Rangers games come down to which team wins the special teams battles, and tonight may be no exception.

The Flyers power play was unable to put the game against Ottawa away in the third period, but has generally been performing well of late. The team is now in the top 10 of the league with an even 20 percent efficiency rating. The Rangers' penalty kill ranks 7th in the NHL at 85.3 percent while the power play comes in 25th at a 14.1 percent success ratio. After a terrible start, Philly's PK has risen to 9th in the NHL at 84.4 percent.

On the injury front, the Flyers are still without Andrej Meszaros (shoulder), Matt Read (torn ribcage muscles) and Tye McGinn (fractured orbital bone). The Rangers, who seem to have good luck when it comes to avoiding long-term injuries on scary looking plays, will dress their full lineup minus Arron Asham (back spasms).

FLYERS

19 Scott Hartnell - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek

48 Danny Briere - 10 Brayden Schenn - 17 Wayne Simmonds

12 Simon Gagne - 14 Sean Couturier - 25 Max Talbot

36 Zac Rinaldo - 26 Ruslan Fedotenko - 9 Mike Knuble

44 Kimmo Timonen - 22 Luke Schenn

8 Nicklas Grossmann - 5 Braydon Coburn

29 Erik Gustafsson - 27 Bruno Gervais

30 Ilya Bryzgalov

[33 Brian Boucher]

RANGERS

62 Carl Hagelin - 19 Brad Richards - 61 Rick Nash

14 Taylor Pyatt - 21 Derek Stepan - 24 Ryan Callahan

47 J.T. Miller - 22 Brian Boyle - 10 Marian Gaborik

8 Darroll Powe - 15 Jeff Halpern - 41 Stu Bickel

18 Marc Staal - 7 Dan Girardi

27 Ryan McDonagh - 6 Anton Strålman

4 Michael Del Zotto - 44 Steve Eminger

30 Henrik Lundqvist

[43 Martin Biron]

Tonight's game at Madison Square Garden starts at 7:30 p.m. and will be televised nationally on NBC Sports Network.

oh yippee (rolling my eyes) .... we get to have the Doc and Pierre show again....errrrrr

oh yippee (rolling my eyes) .... we get to have the Doc and Pierre show again....errrrrr

And if I get another blacked out game, I'm going to be pissed!!

That's such outdated thinking, and they need to stop it.

wow Gaborik is on the 3rd line....?

with hands of stone chin of glass brian boyle.

he must be in Fonzi's doghouse, like all the way in Fonzi's doghouse.

You're not kidding! That stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Not sure what good putting him on the 3rd line will do, even if he's in the doghouse I'd bench him to get my point across rather than dress him on the 3rd.

That's really odd, having Marian on the 3rd line. I understand Nash getting first line minutes, but Callahan seems more suited for 3rd line duties than Gaborik...I agree with Mojo, what is Fonzie trying to prove here, if you are trying to deal him, let him get on a roll pts wise, not put a square peg in a round hole with Boyle and JT Miller as linemates....he will probably sulk, and suck.

@brelic Minus from the NYR line-up from last year...Prust, Antimosov (sp...lol), Rupp and Dubinsky, literally almost every physical heart and soul player on their roster, they really only have Calahan left to fill that role. Their whole team make up has changed. They used to have physicality and grit on every line, now they have it 1 or maybe 2 lines, the checking lines.....wow, big change....and not for the better.

Edited by jammer2
  • Like 1