Please just buyout Bryz already

Guest filly4life

We have some serious problems. I agree that Bryz needs to go but we also have issues with our defense. How do we get a new starting goalie, backup goalie and a defenseman or two via trades? You'll end up with some parts of these needs and your forwards raided by other teams.

I think we need a new GM. One that values draft picks more than the big splash signing. We need someone with better talent evaluation.

• Like 2

I think that's a fairly ridiculous overreaction. Aside from Voracek, Bryz has been the Flyers' best player for the bulk of the season. And he's been an absolute work horse. Between Boucher and Leighton it's pretty much a guaranteed loss at this point. If we bought him out, there aren't really any viable alternatives to what we have now.

Is he an elite goalie? No. But he's been way above average this season, and unless you go out and get a Lundqvist, that's just the way it's going to be.

Fair post, Hexie. You see him kind of the way I do for the season as a whole. He was just atrocious last night. I still think the guy is tired. The second half of last night he just didn't seem to want to butterfly at all. He was standing there like a below average 1973 stand-up goalie just flailing his legs--late, I might add--at shots. It was pathetic even for a street-hockey goalie. The best I can offer for last night as an excuse is exhaustion. It's possible it was just a bad night for him, but if that's the case, the degree and the manner in which he was bad is disturbing.

So I'm going with tired...which concerns me because it indicates to me that it's only going to get worse.

@ruxpin

I respectfully disagree with the tiredness. They have not had any back to back games in a week and Bryz had 2 days off between Sat. game and last night. I would understand if they played like 3 games in 4 days, but this is not the case. I totally agree with your concerns though. Honestly I have no idea what Bryz's problem is.

Edited by pilldoc

@sekkes85

The Rangers have a defensive breakdown, Lundquist bails them out. Philly has a defensive breakdown, it's in the net.

What goalie other than Bryz watches Callahan walk out in front of the net like the 2nd goal? Schenn screwed up there. But Schenn also doesn't make over $5 million a year for the next decade.

I really like when he pokechecks where the player was.

• Like 2

@ruxpin

I respectfully disagree with the tiredness. They have not had any back to back games in a week and Bryz had 2 days off between Sat. game and last night. I would understand if they played like 3 games in 4 days, but this is not the case. I totally agree with your concerns though. Honestly I have no idea what Bryz's problem is.

He's not very good?

• Like 1

He's not very good?

The truth hurts! ;)

so if we all can see it...why the h e LL couldn't Homer see it before giving him this monster contract.....Ed looking through his O&B glasses....

Edited by pilldoc

@jammer2

I still want to see what this healthy roster can do with Mez, Read, (and now Grossmann) back in the lineup at the same time.

Do you honestly believe these are difference-making players? They are good players, don't get me wrong, and they contribute in their own way, but it starts in the net. I am tired of seeing him playing solid for two games and then totally negating that with a mediocre performance. He is not going to change... I am sick and tired of seeing him giving up a very savable shot at the most inopportune time in a game. This needs to stop. Forget this year... I am looking past this year. This team is just not going to go far with Bryzgalov in net.

People were saying let's wait and see till Hartnell comes back. OK, he came back. More so, we added Gagne to the roster. Do you see an appreciable difference?

Reed, Hartnell, Meszaros, Shea Weber, Corey Perry.... it doesn't matter. It all starts in net and right now this is just not cutting the mustard.

• Like 1

So I'm going with tired...which concerns me because it indicates to me that it's only going to get worse.

Possibly... yes. It's fair to try to at least partially chalk this up to the tight schedule. And not having a back-up goalie worth a spit, certainly puts Bryz under plenty of duress. The thing is he is just not really that good. That's the bigger picture. He is not terrible; he is just average at best. You can win a fair amount of games with an OK goalie in net. You just won't win the Cup. And with that contract, having an OK goalie in your system as your starting netminder is more of a detriment.

I am not even blaming Bryz at this point. I have very little doubt he wants to win. I have very little doubt he goes out and tries hard every night. Much was made about his mental toughness. I am even looking past that at this juncture.

The reality is - and there is really no getting around this - you just can't expect a Chevy to perform the way a BMW does.

• Like 2

@ruxpin

I think you make valid points about the tiredness. I'm just thinking if he was already tired--truly fatigued-- that it may take more than that to reset him.

When it comes down to it, though, I'm trust desperately trying to come up with something as an alternative to "my God, he sucks and we're stuck!" Overall, I really haven't had the problem with him (contract aside--admittedly a huge thing to put aside) that others have. But last night was simply atrocious.

• Like 1

Possibly... yes. It's fair to try to at least partially chalk this up to the tight schedule. And not having a back-up goalie worth a spit, certainly puts Bryz under plenty of duress. The thing is he is just not really that good. That's the bigger picture. He is not terrible; he is just average at best. You can win a fair amount of games with an OK goalie in net. You just won't win the Cup. And with that contract, having an OK goalie in your system as your starting netminder is more of a detriment.

I am not even blaming Bryz at this point. I have very little doubt he wants to win. I have very little doubt he goes out and tries hard every night. Much was made about his mental toughness. I am even looking past that at this juncture.

The reality is - and there is really no getting around this - you just can't expect a Chevy to perform the way a BMW does.

That might be the most fair analysis I've read. I have to agree with every part of that.

I really like when he pokechecks where the player was.

If that was in a movie, that would have been comedy gold. In an actual game? Still comical if he wasn't on the team I'm trying to cheer for.

@Mad Dog

then with Bryz in net this team is average at best which happened to over acheive last year. LA on the other hand was IMO an average team last year with a goaltender who is above average and got hot at the right time. Hence their cup run. I agree it all starts on the backend and this is one of the findamental flaws in this team. Not addressing the back end.

If this team keeps playing average, I seriously doubt we get a chance to nab a highly touted prospective defenceman in this years draft. I would rather give up some pieces now to secure our future.

• Like 1

The truth hurts! ;)

so if we all can see it...why the h e LL couldn't Homer see it before giving him this monster contract.....Ed looking through his O&B glasses....

I think it was hidden well in Phoenix. There were some even here that weren't fooled by it, so I don't really give Homer a pass. I personally wasn't one that wasn't fooled. I was. I thought he was better than he apparently was. I was as stunned (angered?) by the contract as much as anyone else, so I'm just talking ability. I do think "average" was better than anything we had in our own stable (I refuse to acknowledge anything good about Bob), but he obviously isn't good enough to justify the contract. I can't think of a goalie that IS that would justify the length or the amount they paid him.

@pilldoc asked what the options are. If we're talking about a long ridiculous contract, there aren't any. And I'm not sure what is out there that is better that wouldn't require blowing up the core of forwards. Without a package, I can't think of a forward that we have that gets you a top flight goalie...or even a backup that's worth betting on. For this year--a lost season, IMO--stick with and suffer with what you have. But both starter and backup need to be addressed for next season or you start talking about wasting Giroux's career (among others).

I think you make valid points about the tiredness. I'm just thinking if he was already tired--truly fatigued-- that it may take more than that to reset him.

When it comes down to it, though, I'm trust desperately trying to come up with something as an alternative to "my God, he sucks and we're stuck!" Overall, I really haven't had the problem with him (contract aside--admittedly a huge thing to put aside) that others have. But last night was simply atrocious.

Like @Mad Dog suggested, I think what everything boills down to is this..... Bryz simply does not have the mental toughess to play through the nights he is off. As some might have sugggested, I believe he mentally takes nights off. He may not be "Physically" tired, but mentally he is not all there. And that does not bode well for a netminder. Brodeur succeeded not only because of his physical skills, but the dude just does not take an off night mentally.

• Like 1

Bryz is not a franchise golaie but the FACT remains no matter who we put in net we as Flyers fans will find something wrong with him. I am not a huge Bryz guy but he has been one of the best players on the Team this year. The defense sucks - plain and simple. Schenn was at fault for the second goal and not Bryz. Callahan makes that play on any other goalie in the leauge...

• Like 4

He may not be "Physically" tired, but mentally he is not all there

This is on point, and I think what I'm referring to when I'm talking about tired (and why maybe this slight break in the schedule might not be enough).

Bryz is not a franchise golaie but the FACT remains no matter who we put in net we as Flyers fans will find something wrong with him.

Truer words never spoken.

It's a bizarre season, too, because usually the most popular player for Flyers' fans is the backup goalie. But since we don't HAVE a backup goalie, what's left to cheer for?

I will go on record and say that I do not think Homer and Snider will buy him out...

I think you'd win that bet. The Philly media and almost everyone outside of Philly thinks he's doing a good job. Overall, I actually don't see the fuss this year (last night's abortion notwithstanding). The only reason they buy him out is because of the opportunity to get out from under the contract. I don't think it's likely they buy him out based on performance.

• Like 1

@pilldoc

I thought with the youth movement Bob would have been perfect. But since management doesn't actually plan anything, that ship has sailed. We've got a lot of really good young forwards. There's plenty of time to develop a goalie if someone had any patience. At least with a young goalie there's the hope of him getting better. Bryz is supposedly at his peak (lol) Can you imagine him declining? How about getting one of the THREE good young goalies Boston has? Subban? How about Bishop from Ottawa? Scrivens from Toronto?

Every team in the league is trying to develop their own goalies except Philly. The whole thought process that this team runs on just bewilders me. They're so good at getting forwards and so horrible at D and goal.

• Like 1

What was the reason everybody* wanted Rick Nash over the summer?

Was it because he's a dangerous sniper who scores more often than not if you give him uncontested breakaways - regardless of who is in goal?

I thought Bryz's reactions to Nash were abysmal - I've seen statues with more fluid movement. But to sit here and believe that a team can give up breakaways to players of Nash's caliber and have the goalie "bail them out" - twice in the same game - is just absurd.

Let's give Bryz the benefit of the doubt and say he "should" have had one of those. The game's still 3-2 Rangers. The Flyers still faailed to score. They still gave up breakaways to superstars.

I'd buy out Bryz in a heartbeat just to get out from under that contract - and I think the Flyers just might as well (likely after 2014, if they do - barring a trade/signing of a Bernier).

But I'm not expecting the same "braintrust" who signed Bryz to that contract to make a better decicion next time.

For the same reason I'm not expecting Bryz to stop Nash on multiple breakaways.

• Like 2

rux... people just want to hate for hating sake. We would have chased Broduer out of this town by his fourth season. I am not defending Bryz but I have never seen a position so scrutinzed in Philly. Bryz has played welll - very well. Has he been the second coming of Bernie? No... Poeple just want someone else like Bernier who is not proven IMO. I just think it is laughable at this point and I will go on record and say that I do not think Homer and Snider will buy him out...

Agreed, this team would probably run Brodeur out of town. For the contract that was given to Bryz, he was given super star $$$$ and Bryz is far from the stud netminder that this team needs. The contract problem is squarelu the fault of management. Therefore, he is being percieved as underachieving. Simply put, Bryz should never have been given this type of contract. The size of his contract is one of a myriad of reasons why this team can't go out and upgrade the defense. (though Homer did try with both Suter and Weber). He has played well in most games, but not enough to steal a game like your stud netminders do once in awhile.

• Like 1