Please just buyout Bryz already

Guest filly4life

The only reason they buy him out is because of the opportunity to get out from under the contract. I don't think it's likely they buy him out based on performance.

Agreed...the contract is the issue at this point. Last night's game withstanding.

What's done is done. Bryz is here for 8 more years unless he is bought out at the end of this season or the next. Will that happen? You know, unless he really tanks and shows management that the team is losing *because* of him, I don't think they'll buy him out. Briere will be a buy out target after next season.

Anyway, that being said, instead of focusing on the one area that probably will not change for many years (though this is Philly, stay tuned!), we need to focus on D, and we need to change our coach.

Look at the Hawks. Yes they are a talented team. But no matter who they put in goal (and I don't just mean this year), they keep winning. Niemi, Emery, Crawford, Turco, Huet... it doesn't matter. Crawford is a late 2nd round pick. He's not the second coming of Brodeur.

Outside of a few true elite goaltenders - Lundqvist, Price, Luongo - plug in anyone you want in our lineup and you'll get the same result. THat begs the question - then why bother paying so much on goaltending with Bryz? Good point. I wouldn't if I were GM, but I'm not and it's not my money.

So, we're stuck with what we've got. I would ditch both Boosh and Leighton at season's end, and keep Bryz as the starter and have one of our young guys as the backup. Great chance to see what we've got on the farm. When's the last time we brought up our own drafted young goalie into an NHL game? Maxime Ouellet? Boosh back in 2000? It's been a while.

Change the goaltender - we'll get the same result.

Change the defense and coach - we'll get a different result.

I do like Laviolette for how he develops our forwards. Read, Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn. They are all having monster breakout seasons. Laviolette gives them the time and space to develop those skills.

But the brainfarts in our own end are numerous... so numerous that they cost us hockey games.

• Like 3

Agreed...the contract is the issue at this point. Last night's game withstanding.

Honestly, I can't imagine a goalie I'd rather play against in a 7 game series (other than Fleury maybe) than Bryz. I mean what's this guys strength?

Agreed, this team would probably run Brodeur out of town. For the contract that was given to Bryz, he was given super star $$$$ and Bryz is far from the stud netminder that this team needs. The contract problem is squarelu the fault of management. Therefore, he is being percieved as underachieving. Simply put, Bryz should never have been given this type of contract. The size of his contract is one of a myriad of reasons why this team can't go out and upgrade the defense. (though Homer did try with both Suter and Weber). He has played well in most games, but not enough to steal a game like your stud netminders do once in awhile.

Doc - I think you hit the nail on the head here... It is the $$$ that was given to him and that is on Homer - not Bryz. I still have more issues w/ Briere's deal than Bryz's b/c while Danny is great in the playoffs he does nothing in the regular season. For his money I want production and very good production!

I know I am in the minority but I think Bryz has played very well this year. He has been one of the best players on the Team in front of a bad defense... Does he give up some questionable goals - yes! Does he steal games on a consistant basis - no! But then again Lundquist has not been stealing many either b/c they are not at the topd of the standings either...

What's done is done. Bryz is here for 8 more years unless he is bought out at the end of this season or the next. Will that happen? You know, unless he really tanks and shows management that the team is losing *because* of him, I don't think they'll buy him out. Briere will be a buy out target after next season.

Anyway, that being said, instead of focusing on the one area that probably will not change for many years (though this is Philly, stay tuned!), we need to focus on D, and we need to change our coach.

Look at the Hawks. Yes they are a talented team. But no matter who they put in goal (and I don't just mean this year), they keep winning. Niemi, Emery, Crawford, Turco, Huet... it doesn't matter. Crawford is a late 2nd round pick. He's not the second coming of Brodeur.

Outside of a few true elite goaltenders - Lundqvist, Price, Luongo - plug in anyone you want in our lineup and you'll get the same result. THat begs the question - then why bother paying so much on goaltending with Bryz? Good point. I wouldn't if I were GM, but I'm not and it's not my money.

So, we're stuck with what we've got. I would ditch both Boosh and Leighton at season's end, and keep Bryz as the starter and have one of our young guys as the backup. Great chance to see what we've got on the farm. When's the last time we brought up our own drafted young goalie into an NHL game? Maxime Ouellet? Boosh back in 2000? It's been a while.

Change the goaltender - we'll get the same result.

Change the defense and coach - we'll get a different result.

I do like Laviolette for how he develops our forwards. Read, Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn. They are all having monster breakout seasons. Laviolette gives them the time and space to develop those skills.

But the brainfarts in our own end are numerous... so numerous that they cost us hockey games.

That is the real question here!

Honestly, I can't imagine a goalie I'd rather play against in a 7 game series (other than Fleury maybe) than Bryz. I mean what's this guys strength?

How about a tandem of Leighton and Boosh?

Anders Lindback? Jose Theodore? Devan Dubnyk? Mathieu Garon?

Steve Mason? James Reimer?

Just spitballing here...

@murraycraven

I never liked the Briere contract from the day it was signed. But he did deliver come playoff time and at least there is light at the end of that tunnel. Bryz has been horrible more than he's been good, and mediocre plenty of times. And that is one long tunnel.

• Like 1

How about a tandem of Leighton and Boosh?

Anders Lindback? Jose Theodore? Devan Dubnyk? Mathieu Garon?

Steve Mason? James Reimer?

Just spitballing here...

You think any of those goalies are playing in the postseason? Maybe reimer, and ya, i'd rather have him.

I thought Bryz's reactions to Nash were abysmal - I've seen statues with more fluid movement. But to sit here and believe that a team can give up breakaways to players of Nash's caliber and have the goalie "bail them out" - twice in the same game - is just absurd.

Agreed. Coming in 3 on 1 you're not going to stop Nash or Malkin, Giroux or Jake...or any number of guys from 12 feet out. Once in awhile sure but to count on it and complain about your goalie when it happens is just silly.

But Nash's 2nd goal and Callahan's 2nd goal are just inexcusable in the NHL imo. Those were both horrible plays by Bryzgalov and I'm sure he knows it too. Unfortunately "knowing it" and being able to correct it are 2 different things. Apparently Bryzgalov just doesn't have the instincts or the quick reflexes to work 1 on 1 against someone coming in close.

Lately we've seen a lot of those "he'd like that one back" - almost every game the past couple weeks.

@flyercanuck

Besides going after Bernier from LA, what other realistic options are there for a netminder?

The two guys stuck behind Anderson in Ottawa. Bishop and Lehner. From what I've seen from both they are step up from Bryz. Would come much cheaper than Bernier. The problem is the Flyers need to start looking now because there is team down the road called the Devils that will be looking hard. There is only so much longer Marty can play.

Agreed. Coming in 3 on 1 you're not going to stop Nash or Malkin, Giroux or Jake...or any number of guys from 12 feet out. Once in awhile sure but to count on it and complain about your goalie when it happens is just silly.

But Nash's 2nd goal and Callahan's 2nd goal are just inexcusable in the NHL imo. Those were both horrible plays by Bryzgalov and I'm sure he knows it too. Unfortunately "knowing it" and being able to correct it are 2 different things. Apparently Bryzgalov just doesn't have the instincts or the quick reflexes to work 1 on 1 against someone coming in close.

Lately we've seen a lot of those "he'd like that one back" - almost every game the past couple weeks.

I completely agree. I thought the second Callahan goal was a joke. Again, hard to fault Bryz on a Nash breakaway, but you would like him to get one of those.

So, let's say it's 2-2 going into the shootout.

Yep, 3-2 Rangers.

Bryz is not "the answer" for this team's goaltending issues - -but by the same token, can one say that Lavy's "jam" is all thaat tasty?

Bryz was signed to be the backstop behind a defense built on the broad shoulders of Chris Pronger - another decision by the "braintrust" to jettison their young talent, replace them with younger talent and put the franchise's future on the back of a guy who wound up playing 13 games in front of Bryz.

They still haven't "replaced" Pronger.

Again - I buy out Bryz in a heartbeat. But I just don't see "the move" that overcomes the flailing desperation which has characterized this team's "moves" over the past few years...

They can keep "reloading" but they still can't shoot straight.

@radoran

As far as building on the back of Pronger - yes and no. I doubt Ed and Homer were stupid enough to think Pronger would still be playing effectively at 40. They probably figured he'd give us 3 maybe 4 good years. As it is it ended via freak bad luck, nothing you can plan for - other than to not hire a 35+ year old in the first place and pretend he's your salvation on the back end.

Personally I liked the Pronger move. I didn't like finding out later that Ed/Homer were apparently unaware of the "over 35" rule...which was inexcusable. But as I said at the time I think the Flyers desperately needed "adult supervision" and Pronger (or somebody like him...but there isn't anyone like him really) was the right guy for the job. Sbisa and a buncha picks. Sure looking back you can always find a "better road" not taken. But I didn't think it completely screwed us for the future. Until that puck came up and nearly blinded him...

• Like 1

@Mad Dog

LA on the other hand was IMO an average team last year with a goaltender who is above average and got hot at the right time. Hence their cup run. I agree it all starts on the backend and this is one of the findamental flaws in this team. Not addressing the back end.

I think there was more to it, Doc, quite frankly. I think LA had all the pieces in place to go really, really far when the last season started. Terry Murray had the technical foundation set but some intangibles were missing. When Daryl Sutter came in, he taught that team how to play as a team. He has done a spectacular job motivating the team and helping the players reach their potential. And that's when the Kings just took off. Was there a point towards the end of the season when they wouldn't lose a game? And Quick was just playing absolutely phenomenal. So if you put all this in perspective, I don’t think there is that much of a surprise they did the way they did. I don’t think they overachieved at all.

@Mad Dog

If this team keeps playing average, I seriously doubt we get a chance to nab a highly touted prospective defenceman in this years draft. I would rather give up some pieces now to secure our future.

Me too. Problem is, the Flyers being the Flyers, they will want to be as competitive as possible, and I give them tons of credit for that. With that said, I simply don’t have any confidence in Holmgren to build the team. And therein lies the problem.

Edited by Mad Dog

@albertaflyer

Don't think Ottawa is trading Lehner. That's why i didn't mention him.

Never know. If Ottawa stays in the hunt they are really going to need a center with Spezza going down. Cough Cough Briere. Right now it would be tough for either Bishop or Lehner to move up with the way Anderson is playing. I would think that those two could come cheaper than Bernier. I think LA is really holding everyone hostage with Bernier.

@radoran

As far as building on the back of Pronger - yes and no. I doubt Ed and Homer were stupid enough to think Pronger would still be playing effectively at 40. They probably figured he'd give us 3 maybe 4 good years. As it is it ended via freak bad luck, nothing you can plan for - other than to not hire a 35+ year old in the first place and pretend he's your salvation on the back end.

Right now it's anybody's guess, of course. But I want to remind you that minus the knee injury which got resolved, Pronger was in a terrific shape. If Chelios played almost until he was 50 (amazing, really, if you think about it), the Flyers, in their own right, were justified thinking Pronger would have had at least 2-3 very productive years in him.

I really believe that what happened to Pronger was the determining factor in the team's demise... more so than not having a true starting goaltender. The team has never seemed to been able to cope with him not playing. I am convinced even with Bryz' crappy play, if he had healthy Pronger, we would've dealt with the Devils.

• Like 1

@sekkes85

The Rangers have a defensive breakdown, Lundquist bails them out. Philly has a defensive breakdown, it's in the net.

What goalie other than Bryz watches Callahan walk out in front of the net like the 2nd goal? Schenn screwed up there. But Schenn also doesn't make over $5 million a year for the next decade.

I really like when he pokechecks where the player was.

I agree with this. Bryz has not been the entire problem but he is not worth his cap hit. I suspect he and Briere may be buyout material. Once again, the question has to be asked...what can't this franchise "grow" or keep its own G and D? And for that matter, as expensive as he was, Bobo is playing well with Columbus...our system apparently has nobody of value for backup....and Gustavson was not very effective last night...

Best,

Howie

• Like 1