Please just buyout Bryz already

Guest filly4life

In fairness, Bryz's SV% is .903; I'm going to go with a theory that Boosh's .898 and, of course, Leighton's .808 (5 goals on 26 shots) isn't helping the team's ranking.

Bryz's .903 places him squarely behind a certain guy playing in Columbus...

Never mind...

EDIT: They also seem to include empty netters in the "team SV%" ranking

Are you serious? That seems like a pretty big oversight.

Are you serious? That seems like a pretty big oversight.

I was trying to figure out how the combination of .903 from the starter, .898 from the primary backup and .808 from one game added up to .892.

Bryz is 56 goals on 577 shots

Boucher 5 on 49

Leighton 5 on 26

That's 66 goals. Flyers have "72 goals against"

6 goals on 6 shots certainly can affect a GAA.

I, for one, am shocked - SHOCKED - that ESPN got confused by a hockey thing.

@radoran

Last night Ray Emery set a new record for Consecutive Wins to Start the Season - he's now 10-0. HE got those wins (and the team obviously), not him + Crawford. You must be confusing Chicago's 22 (23?) game win streak with Emery's 10-0 streak....

@all

Great thread and debates! If I may continue to add my 2 cents, Bryz is only half the problem here. We can debate ad nauseum whether Bryz should be bought out at the end of the year or not. We can also debate how to replace him rather via trade (which could include giving up some of young core players), FA (someone gave a list earlier), or through the draft. The other part of the problem is that our illustrious management failed to address our defense which is downright hideous. Yes, we all know that Homer made a run at Suter (who flat out said he would not play here) and at Weber. Great intentions, but they failed to have a Plan B. The reason Bryz succeeded in PHX was that he played with better defenseman and a system which was defensive minded. Thereby hiding some of his flaws. Failing to upgrade the "D" has exposed Bryz like Janet Jackson exposing her breasts during the SB halftime show.

In reality it really is a catch 22. The Flyers pay for an albatross of a contract to Bryz, (which he really does not deserve), he is exposed to what he is. An average goal tender at best who will occasionally raise his game only to come back to reality a few games later. Because of said salary to Bryz, you virtually are handcuffed to what you can do team wise and therefore the defense suffers with sub par players who are better suited in a beer league much less the NHL. You have no money to upgrade the defense. Then to add insult to injury, during the draft you draft mostly forwards and refuse to develop any defensemen on your farm teams.

Now halfway during the shorten season, you find out Bryz is average at best and you have a defense, which is painfully obvious to most seasoned fans, which is quite simply not very good. The only way to fix this problem is now going down the road in maybe trading some of your solid young core players.

The philosophy of this team is what had hurt this team the most. Bryz's montser contract is one of the many thing handicapping this team. If Bryz was a superstar then I can say money well spend. The truth of the matter is that Bryz is NOT Worth the money he is receiving.

I would love to see Bryz bought out at the end of the season but some have made some strong arguments in why that may not be a good idea.

There needs to be a philosophy change with this team.

What a pickle of a mess!!!

Well said, Bryzgalov plays like he doesn't give a ****. He already has a ring from when he played in Anaheim so he wanted the big payday. And his luck he found two suckers in Snider and Holmgren who gave him a big contract. Now Snider and Holmgren have to decide if it's worthwhile putting up with Bryzgalov for the next 7 years. He's average at best and always seems to give up one bad goal per game lately. It seems with Holmgren trading Silent Bob he wanted to eliminate any competition for Bryzgalov so it justifies the stupid contract Snider and Holmgren gave him. And for us Flyers fans the thought of Bryzgalov being in net for the next 7 years is enough to put anyone over the edge :)

And for us Flyers fans the thought of Bryzgalov being in net for the next 7 years is enough to put anyone over the edge :)

I think I won't watch every game til he's gone. Need to keep my blood pressure down and be a sane person lol. Only reason to watch is Giroux and now Voracek.

@radoran

Last night Ray Emery set a new record for Consecutive Wins to Start the Season - he's now 10-0. HE got those wins (and the team obviously), not him + Crawford. You must be confusing Chicago's 22 (23?) game win streak with Emery's 10-0 streak....

And Bryzgalov and Boucher had five consecutive shutouts.

Again, you are addressing this as if it is some personal animosity towards Ray Emery. It isn't. I've got Rayzor on my FHL team and am happy to pick up his stats.

Maybe a 31-year-old goalie who hasn't played more than 34 NHL games in six years and can't even be named the starter after setting a consecutive wins record is exactly what the Flyers need.