Meltzer's Withering Assessment of Brygalov

Guest terp

I consider Bill Meltzer the most intelligent and credible regular observer of the Flyers. I've felt this building for awhile and he finally unloaded on "Universe" Bryzgalov:

"I've got to get this off my chest: I am unhappy about the way Bryzgalov seemingly threw his teammates under the bus after last night's game. That's the second time he's done it this season.

In speaking to the beat writers after the game, he said of the deflection goals that have plagued him, “I don’t know what to do, guys. Maybe we should play tighter defense and box out the guys."

That had to feel like a kick in the gut to the rest of the team, especially the defensemen. The club had played hard in front of him and, as noted earlier, at one juncture held the Rangers without a shot for half a period. Sooner or later, a good team like the Rangers is going to generate some chances. Then it's up to the goalie to make a few tough stops.

I have yet to hear any of Bryzgalov's teammates say after a loss, "I don't know what to do, guys. Maybe Bryz can make the occasional momentum save. Maybe he can track the puck a little better, keep his stick on the ice a little more and close the five hole faster. Maybe he can be a little more than the world's most expensive shooter tutor when we're on the PK. But what do I know? I'm not a goalie, and I probably shouldn't tell him how to do his job."

In between contemplating the vastness of the universe for the HBO cameras, perhaps Bryzalov may want to take a moment to compare the number of times the players in front of him have helped him out in the first half of the season against the number of occasions where he's held the team in a game that otherwise would have gotten out of hand (and last night was not one of those games).

On Christmas Eve day, Ilya Bryzgalov has an overall sub 90 percent save percentage (.895, 58th among NHL goalies) and his .818 penalty killing save percentage ranks 64th among the 71 goalies who have faced an opposition power play this season.

Of course, not all the blame for the pedestrian stats go to Bryzgalov -- that's not the point. I think he's played better than his raw numbers would suggest. He's played OK on the whole. Not horrible, certainly not great either. Frankly, I think Sergei Bobrovsky has come up with tougher saves than Bryzgalov when there have been breakdowns.

My main point here is that the Flyers had won last night, they'd have had the best record in the NHL. Even after last night's setback, they are right in the thick of the race. Bryzgalov's teammates deserve a little better than having him point fingers when things didn't go their way, because it'd be pretty easy to turn the tables.

I'm sure Bryzgalov meant no harm, and would be surprised if anyone would take offense. Words spoken in frustration sound harsher in print than they may have been intended. But Bryzgalov is someone who is often prone to speaking first and thinking later."

I couldn't agree more. I would add that there is a "jumped the shark" element here in the sense that the idea that Bryzgalov is a flake, a bad teammate, and a not so elite goaltender is now mainstream along with perhaps the idea that Bobrovsky gives the team a better chance to win.

Here's the link: http://www.hockeybuz...122411/45/40774

Edited by terp

metzler is spot on. i couldn't agree more. but because i agree i will now be labeled as a grumpy fair weather fan

Philly fans are and always will be. Oh well

I think it's Bryz's attitude about playing on par with past flyer goalies.

The fans were sold on him being better than average finally and we are getting pissed because we don't see him bearing down to be better. Just stupid quotes and and to understand where the universe came from.

If it seemed as though he was really bothered by playing average then I think more fans would be patient.

@Irishjim']

We have a right to be grumpy, for as long as we suffer without a true no.1 goalie and continue to do so.

@Digityman

Spot on on his attitude. Dude hasn't taken reponsible for his play. Look at the comments after last nights game, i don't know if I missed it but I haven't heard him say that any of the goals he allowed in this year was his fault and he needs to step it up. So this guy has no problem collecting 51 mil for his average play? Or he's thinking he's being paid 51 mil to tell us his theory on the Universe.

Edited by Vincent05

Holiday Wishes to the Board!

I am not willing to give up on the guy but his numbers are very unimpressive. I am sure Homer is sending signals through others that he expects a return on investment.

Bob started the season well last year but faltered later on. Let's hope that a) he grows; and B) Bryz performs as expected. If not, Homer has a lot to ponder.

Howie

I think Bryz needs a muzzle or a filter at times.

Meltzer's right that Bryz has been "OK" but not great. He was signed to be great.

Something has to give.

Rad:

We expected greatness for what was paid. Right now it looks like overpaid. We have to wait and see throughout the season for a good read. It's possible he is going through transition that we don't know or see from from distance. So, to be "seasonal," I'll avoid the crucifixion.

From a bigger vantage, the team is unlike what I am used to. We are number 2 in scoring but mid-range (number 15) in PK, not much better in PP, and in the bottom half of goals allowed. As I've said before, Homer didn't promise us better or worse, just different. Well, we are "different." But if you believe that defense and goal win Cups...our standings seem to be inflated relative to where we may end up. The other spin is that this team is very, very different from historical norms. It is enjoyable to watch. But it is not that tough or defensive.

Stay thirsty my friend.

Howie

Rad:

We expected greatness for what was paid. Right now it looks like overpaid. We have to wait and see throughout the season for a good read. It's possible he is going through transition that we don't know or see from from distance. So, to be "seasonal," I'll avoid the crucifixion.

From a bigger vantage, the team is unlike what I am used to. We are number 2 in scoring but mid-range (number 15) in PK, not much better in PP, and in the bottom half of goals allowed. As I've said before, Homer didn't promise us better or worse, just different. Well, we are "different." But if you believe that defense and goal win Cups...our standings seem to be inflated relative to where we may end up. The other spin is that this team is very, very different from historical norms. It is enjoyable to watch. But it is not that tough or defensive.

Stay thirsty my friend.

Howie

My Dear friend Howie. Hope you are well and gearing up for the New Year. Thirst y we are but we are more hungry for a Goalie that lives up to what was promised and expected. His numbers are good but we hoped for Grrrrrreat.

Rad:

Last night I started dinner with a Blackstone Merlot (competent) and had glass of Shiraz (vintner escapes me) with main course. It was a good way to star the New Years.

I should be home in time for tonight's face-off. The TB-Flyers Match-up has gotten interesting...brings back memories of Primeau and boys in the epic of 03-04.

It's funny...last night I turned down a great offer from AT&T U-verse to bundle services...reason...no NHL Center Ice!

Peace, and LGF.

Howie

Any of you that claimed that Bryzgalov was better than Boucher, Leighton or Emery (Bobrovsky is way out of the equation), well you are just nuts. Remove even the lodestone of a contract, he isn't better as a CALL UP than anyone else the Flyers have had in goal the past few years. Comparisons to Cechmanek: bullsh!t. Other than calling out his team mates (and Roman was RIGHT, Brys not so much,) Ilya's numbers are WAY worse.

What a horrid, horrible signing.