Matt Read could be back this weekend

Digityman

Matt Read may be back sooner than even the Flyers expected.

Read, 26, originally was projected to be out for 6 weeks with torn rib-cage muscles, suffered in back-to-back hits on Feb. 20 in Pittsburgh. Instead, Read said he could be back "as soon as this weekend." He skated in a full, hourlong practice on Monday - wearing a regular, white practice jersey - and participated in cycling drills with passing and shooting.

Last week, he was limited to only skating and little puck movement. He took the weekend off from skating and felt better on Monday.

"I think I've healed pretty quickly, but I'm still in a lot of pain," Read said after practice. "Maybe that last part, going from 80 percent to 100 percent healthy will take a while."

Read was one of the Flyers' most consistent forwards to start the season, racking up 13 points in 18 games.

"It could be this weekend, it could be 2 weeks from now," Read said. "I really don't know. I don't think it will be another month, though. I just want to take my time and make sure I don't re-injure myself."

Source

At some point, Homer needs to make a decision about this team.

Do they sack the season, let those that are injured heal fully and sell off the dead weight for draft picks/trade if possible?

Or do they go full bore just hoping to get in the playoffs to get ousted in the 1st or 2nd round?

I'd hate to see Read come back just to get re-injured again. Not that the Flyers medical staff would ever do such a thing....

I have been on record numerous times. I do not trust this team in the playoffs. Their play is too eradic and the defense is too suspect. I am not even going to entertain my thought on Bryz considering there is another thread dedicated to quagmire.

I would rather let the guys heal and not go full bore into the playoffs. This team needs some serious upgrades on defense and just barely sliding into the playoffs is not going to help fix that problem.

i may be in the minority here, as much as I love the Flyers and it pains me to say this, this team in order to move foreward for next year, should not be in the playoffs. However there has got to be a solid plan in place and if Homer drafts another forward I swear I'll pack a few drugs and head over to his house/office.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

Here's my preferred scenario: dump the old dead wood, have the young'ns miraculously turn it around and squeak into the playoffs and then go on a miracle run to the Finals.

The Kings were an improbable bet to go all the way, but they had the secret ingredients: many former Flyers. Now this Flyers team has the same thing, a bunch of former Flyers.

• Like 1

Here's my preferred scenario: dump the old dead wood, have the young'ns miraculously turn it around and squeak into the playoffs and then go on a miracle run to the Finals.

The Kings were an improbable bet to go all the way, but they had the secret ingredients: many former Flyers. Now this Flyers team has the same thing, a bunch of former Flyers.

The secret ingredient was great goaltending. We don't have that.