Coburn and What the announcers say about him

Guest touche22

Its funny to listen announcers (Mcquire, Ferraro) talk about the fleecing the flyers put on the thrashers in getting Coburn. I agree that at the time it seemed like a steal but i think we can all agree that he is at best a guy with the tools of a 2-3 defenceman who plays with the mind of a 5-7 defenceman.

Watching him thru the game against the Rags yesterday was hilarious.

Under no pressure-bad pass. Bad coverage...Just all around bad decisions.

I wish he could just go see a hypnotist or swap out Prongers brain with his.

Ah well, at least he beat up Downie.

• Like 1

He's big and fast. He has some great games, a lot of good games and some bad games (yesterday may have been his record for bad passes/shots) We got him for a guy who's been retired for 3 years and he's a $4.5 caphit. As a trade he's a steal. Sadly, he's one of our best defencemen.

Its funny to listen announcers (Mcquire, Ferraro) talk about the fleecing the flyers put on the thrashers in getting Coburn. I agree that at the time it seemed like a steal but i think we can all agree that he is at best a guy with the tools of a 2-3 defenceman who plays with the mind of a 5-7 defenceman.

Yes like Micke Vick sort of (minus the dog killing of course) all this great athletic abiltiy yet this tiny little pea brain pushing it....sad will he ever reach his potential, i don't think he may...maybe when can at least blame it on his injury verse the Pens before that he really seemed like a steal... :blink:

@RonJeremy "but hes been a warrior in the playoffs, maybe he is jsut one of those guys that truns it up when its playoff time and is average the rest of the time"

That's a really valid point Ron. He does seem much more reliable in the playoffs, way less bone headed plays, a lot more steady in general....and he has a TON of playoff experience....so with him and Kimo, the kids will learn a lot.

I don't have any problem with Coburn really. Sometimes it's frustrating because he shows flashes of greatness, so it feels like there's a lot of unrealized potential there. And maybe there is. But he's a very reliable & durable, if unspectacular, #2 - #3 defenseman with a decent cap hit...and if that turns out to be his ceiling, I can live with that.

Of course like the rest of us I'd love to see his hockey IQ visibly go up a few points, and his shots hit the net a bit more often, and his size used to be more dominant in our end of the ice. But that's the difference between a #1 D and a #2 or #3.

• Like 3

I don't have any problem with Coburn really. Sometimes it's frustrating because he shows flashes of greatness, so it feels like there's a lot of unrealized potential there. And maybe there is. But he's a very reliable & durable, if unspectacular, #2 - #3 defenseman with a decent cap hit...and if that turns out to be his ceiling, I can live with that.

Of course like the rest of us I'd love to see his hockey IQ visibly go up a few points, and his shots hit the net a bit more often, and his size used to be more dominant in our end of the ice. But that's the difference between a #1 D and a #2 or #3.

Great post, and spot on.

I would add that his ramp up in the playoffs might be due to an increased level of focus.

Exactly. We gave up very little for the guy, his pay rate is on par with defencemen of his calibre. Capgeek has him tied with a bunch of others as the 40th highest paid defenceman and 35th caphit.. I doubt there's anywhere near 40 better defencemen or 30 for that matter.

I can't help but wonder if it's a case of Coburn having reached his ceiling, or if another organization would have developed him any better than we did.

If it's the former, that's great, because it means our organization developed him as far as he would go. That's quite an accomplishment.

If it's the latter, that's a little more concerning because we may be squandering a decent amount of unrealized potential in our players.

I know it's not black and white, but this thread just had me thinking where we would rank in terms of our ability to fully develop players.

If you can remember back to Coburns rookie year, he actually scored some goals and his shot was real good. Most of his goals ,if not all, were scored from the right point. Once he moved to the left side he wasnt as effective. Maybe its a coincidence or maybe he just plays better from the right side

when he's good.. he's great. when he's bad... well, then you have a game like the rangers game the other night. coburn was just brutal the other night. i think it's fair to say that he's a player that has his share of 'stinkers' but overall he's a good D man that many, if not all, teams would love to have.

it was a fleecing of atlanta... in many ways.