I'll start with what I don't believe is the root cause:

• New time zone
  • New shooters
  • New defensemen/defensive tendencies
  • Injury

I think it is more likely a combination the following:

• Obsessive nature causing difficulty in adapting to new team, circumstances
  • Lack of focus brought on by lifetime financial security
  • Exhibitionism + active press corps + 24/7 = preoccupation with press at the expense of preparation
  • Difficulty hacking the pressure of playing in a hockey market (the wise cracking is a cover)
  • 9 year deal, willingness to blame others results in lack of any sense of urgency to play better

In other words, it is all mental. It is going to get worse now of course because we see signs that the honeymoon is over. The combination of his horniness for attention, bizarre comments (like the dog thing; WTF?), uninspired play and the shots at his teammates are going to lead to exactly the kind of attention that he appears unequipped to deal with. I predict he will be an even worse mess in a month.

Edited by terp

Goalies with mental issues = trouble. Gulp.

My brother today tried to tell me that Bryz is a good goalie because of his win %, and didn't even want to consider the Flyers have to score 4 to win. He is also a Caps (pre Ovechkin) fan for some stupid reason. Obviously I disagree with his sentiment, but thought I would post it up to gauge other opinions as well.

@doom88

I'll start with what I don't believe is the root cause:

• New time zone
  • New shooters
  • New defensemen/defensive tendencies
  • Injury

I think it is more likely a combination the following:

• Obsessive nature causing difficulty in adapting to new team, circumstances
  • Lack of focus brought on by lifetime financial security
  • Exhibitionism + active press corps + 24/7 = preoccupation with press at the expense of preparation
  • Difficulty hacking the pressure of playing in a hockey market (the wise cracking is a cover)
  • 9 year deal, willingness to blame others results in lack of any sense of urgency to play better

In other words, it is all mental. It is going to get worse now of course because we see signs that the honeymoon is over. The combination of his horniness for attention, bizarre comments (like the dog thing; WTF?), uninspired play and the shots at his teammates are going to lead to exactly the kind of attention that he appears unequipped to deal with. I predict he will be an even worse mess in a month.

Yah, the thing that worries me most is that the press and fans are turning on him and that will only make it worse.

I truly think he needs to see a shrink. He shows flashes of what he is capable of followed by total misjudgment. His lack of focus at the absolute wrong time has led to some really weak goals allowed. He also has seen a LOT of deflections for goals which do not help with his apparent lack of psych. Bob has more than earned the right to play until Bryz can confront his demons (whatever they are) and get himself back on the ice.

I think he's an average goalie who looked good in a defensive system who is overpaid and signed for too long. Thought I'd be nice since it's Christmas.

This also worries me greatly, and I have a gut feeling this is a big part of it.