Who do you want least in the playoffs?

Guest Wingsallday

I would have to say I wouldn't want the LA kings because it looks like they might do the same thing. Be mediocre in the regular season then monster out in the playoffs and I don't want to e the first victims of that outburst. But at the same time they might have some defending champions rust in them. Never know.

Well first we have to get there. The way the West is shaping up that is a big if.

Second, the Obvious choice is the Blackhawks. Nobody in their right mind wants them in the opening round. Second, I gotta agree with you, the Kings and Quick scare the heck outta me.

@yave1964

Think of how many times recently the Blackhawks have done so well in the regular season only to drop out of the playoffs...especially if they meet Vancouver. For some reason, Vancouver seems to have their number. I would welcome the opportunity to play the 'Hawks in any playoff series. The Wings have faced them twice this season so far and have taken them to overtime both times. They're not impossible.

But I do agree with you on the Kings. They seem to be the only "mystery" in the west. I'm a little wary about Anaheim too...

@Wingsallday Good topic !

@Wingsallday

@yave1964

@WingNut722

Well we "Wingers" all seem to be in agreement on the top 2 answers. My answer to who would be the highest on the list of the two is dependent totally on the trends toward the end of the regular season. If LA's hot, they get the nod. If not, the 'Hawks do. If equal, 'Hawks. Tough to repeat, and you've gotta respect how they are winning, even if it is the regular season. Their game will do well in the playoffs, so long as Crawford stays solid.

I also wouldn't want San Jose. They seem to have our number in the playoffs too. Thornton's size and playmaking ability especially in a playoff-officiated game, is difficult for us to match up with, and Couture is difficult too. Niemi tends to stifle our O as well most of the time. Sharks are #3 for me in the West as least wanted.

• Like 1

@SpikeDDS

I never liked San Jose at all, but I think they've fallen a bit. They don't appear to be the Wing-stopping powerhouse they have been in years past. They ain't so tough no more.......

While I think this is true for the regular season, I still think they are better equipped for playoff hockey than we are if both teams are playing well, at least as far as matchup goes. They match up well against us. Like LA, though, a lot depends on Niemi. If he is playing well, he is a Wing killer in the playoffs. If Niemi is playing well--which he obviously did not in our last game with them--they become a tough team for the Wings to beat.

History has a tendency to repeat itself. History has a tendency to repeat itself. :-)

@SpikeDDS Bet you are glad Bob will not be a division rival after this year, that team in general seems to give you guys fits, but Bob has pulled off nice games the last couple times he has played you.....he's *our* problem now, with Columbus moving into the Flyers division next year. Has it sunk in yet, moving to the East? Gotta be pretty exciting.....really, really looking forward to tall the extra games against Montreal and Boston, wow, is this gonna be fun!

@SpikeDDS Bet you are glad Bob will not be a division rival after this year, that team in general seems to give you guys fits, but Bob has pulled off nice games the last couple times he has played you.....he's *our* problem now, with Columbus moving into the Flyers division next year. Has it sunk in yet, moving to the East? Gotta be pretty exciting.....really, really looking forward to tall the extra games against Montreal and Boston, wow, is this gonna be fun!

I am STOKED!

Such a contrast form a few years ago when East only met West once every 3 years. We had a game toward the end of that era against Montreal at JLA that was the first time in SIX years that Montreal had visited Detroit. That was SO wrong on SO many levels!

I will say that I will miss playing Chicago as much. I actually think that they have been the biggest rival in my time as a fan, even though Toronto has the history in earlier days. We used to travel once a year to Chicago Stadium to watch a Wings-'Hawks game, so Chicago has a place in my hockey heart in part because of that. But it is a small price to pay to play 4 of the other 5 Original 6 teams on a regular basis. We have certainly--more than any other team--paid the hefty price of travel as the league has expanded. It is justice that we are relieved of that now.

WAY more positive than negative for Wings nation, that's for sure.

I am starting to think the team I least want to face in the playoffs is the freakin Bluejackets.

Good thing they only have 10 wins...of which we have given them 4!! Unlikely we'll have to see them because of that, but if we continue to play like we did yesterday, we won't have to worry about facing ANYBODY!

Ian White better be on the ice for the next game. I will lose faith in Babs if that's not so. He's gotta do something after this game.

If there isn't a monumental change in the PP in the next 2 games (enough time to find a replacement), Renney should be fired. Our PP is nothing less than A-W-F-U-L. There is no excuse for its ineffectiveness. We've got too much talent to be 0-fer for this long and as consistently. It is obviously a systemic system problem, not talent. Unlikely it is effort. Pav and Z bring it most nights. We've got enough talent to AT LEAST have an average PP.

Bottom line: yesterday wasn't an aberration. It exposed us. Time to shake things up. Crappy part is that under normal circumstances, Babs would be able to run 'em hard at practice to get his point across, but in this short season with few breaks, he's kinda limited on his ability to do that without wearing 'em out to a point that they won't have enough left to win games--more harm than good.

@jammer2

Bob didn't even have to be great yesterday. WE SUCKED!! We had NO energy. We looked like the team who had only won 9 games to that point. And Columbus is starting to get better, even though their stats don't necessarily show it. Bob is part of the reason. But as far as yesterday goes, we GAVE them that game. I don't know if we just aren't mentally ready to play them thinking that they aren't a threat or not, but clearly ANYONE is a threat when one loss can take you from 4th to 10th in the Western Conference.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not to drag up an old thread, but I couldn't help thinking about it after watching last night's game. The Sharks played playoff-like defense and used their size to keep the Wings to the outside. And Niemi was very good as well, notching his second shutout in a row. This is the kind of game that the Sharks have the ability to play, and we have difficulty matching up with them. We seem not to have an answer for Joe Pavelski.

I realize it is just one game, and I know that the Sharks are not the team that Chicago or LA have, but I wouldn't want to play these guys in a 7-gamer. Even if we DID pull it out, they will wear us out and drain us before the next series if they play like this...and obviously they can. That is why they are in my top 3. It can change as the word going around is that they might be sellers at the deadline, but short of a sell-off, I don't want to see SJ in the SCPs.