Is there even any kind of trade that would make the Flyers better now?

Guest Phillygrump

I don't know what this team needs besides a different goaltender and an upgrade in defense, but I don't know what that would look like anymore. Is there anyone out there thats available that could make this team better?

The only guys I could think of would be Bernier or Yandle. No one else would be available or help this team going forward. I figure as long as Bryz is the goaltender here the chances of winning anything are slim. Its better to make moves for next season.

What scenario would you like to see?

@Phillygrump

I don't want them to try and make the playoffs. It's the same old routine that always ends in the same result. Let the cards fall where they may and get something in the draft that can have some impact in a few years.

How has that worked for Columbus? It's no sure thing, might as well try every year, but maybe a little smarter.

We need help in several areas ,so one trade is not gonna help us enough to make a difference. If we make a move and improve the defense , we will end up weaking the offense since one of our young forwards will have to be traded for that defenseman, but our goaltending will still be suspect. So there is no point in squeaking into the playoffs, only to be knocked out. I also dont want to see a panic move,where we make a foolish trade out of desperation.

The scenario I want to see is as follows...

We do not make the playoffs, we get lucky with the draft lottery and finally draft a good young defensman.

We buyout Briere, Bryz and are free of Walker, Fedetenko, Gagne, Shelly, Lilja, Foster,etc...so this frees up big $$$$

We sign both Perry and Getzlaf, which enables us to unload Coots for a promising young defenseman, we also gain a big center to go up against Malkenstein, and a big finisher to put on Girouxs line.

We aquire a solid goalie, Bryz is being paid like an elite goalie and he is barely an average goalie,so we can pay someone else 2 million instead of 5 million. I dont see us getting an elite goalie anywhere.

We need 2 defenseman with skating,playmaking PP skills, we need a big center with shutdown/faceoff skills and we need a solid goalie.

With Ron jeremys plan and lots of luck we can do this. Id love to trade Briere and at least get something, but he has a NMC and does not want to leave.Maybe Homer can say, we are gonna buy you out, or we can trade you to a contender, and maybe Danny will accept it. otherwise just buy him out

@Phillygrump

I don't want them to try and make the playoffs. It's the same old routine that always ends in the same result. Let the cards fall where they may and get something in the draft that can have some impact in a few years.

How about a center than can't win a faceoff...got to be one that the can target!!!! :ph34r:

@doom88

Philly isn't Columbus. And since they've laid off the Russians they've actually had some good drafts. If only they wouldn't trade them away.

Answer me this, do you like Pronger/Timonen/Briere/Jagr/Nedved/Amonte or Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds/Couturier/Schenn x2?

@RonJeremy In regards to Briere, perhaps a little dose of reality will go a long ways. Even though he has a secure NMC, if the Flyers propose buying him out *before* the trade, it will become apparent to Danny that moving to pro-long is career is inevitable....not if, but when. This could make a situation where he might want to pick his next destiantion right now, get it out of the way. He could sumbit a list of acceptable destinations an go from there....kinda makes sense from the Flyers and Danny'B's persectives.

I don't know what this team needs besides a different goaltender and an upgrade in defense, but I don't know what that would look like anymore. Is there anyone out there thats available that could make this team better?

The only guys I could think of would be Bernier or Yandle. No one else would be available or help this team going forward. I figure as long as Bryz is the goaltender here the chances of winning anything are slim. Its better to make moves for next season.

What scenario would you like to see?

Those are actually the top two (2) targets I have for the Flyers (Bernier & Yandle).

After that, I'd still love to see Bobby Ryan playing for the Flyers. Tell you what, I watch a lot of Ducks games & Ryan doesn't coast - he busts it out there on the ice.

Ok Getzlaf is done, but do you guys agree on signing Perry to play right wing for Giroux? My thought is by adding some offense, it softens the inevitable blow of dealing Coots or Schenn to acquire the much needed top young defenseman. I really see no way to get a good young dman. We have been trading for defense for the last 25 years, our entire blueline except Gus is traded for.

I know that no one wants to give up Coots or Schenn, but how else are we getting help on defense, to be honest we actually need 2 defenseman since Timmo is on borrowed time. Remember we gave up Linseman for Howe, Recchi to get Desjardins, and they anchored our defense for 10 years each. We need to make a deal like that, a good young scorer for a good young defenseman. We do not need to make aPronger type deal, where we get a guy at the end of his career.

Ok Getzlaf is done, but do you guys agree on signing Perry to play right wing for Giroux? My thought is by adding some offense, it softens the inevitable blow of dealing Coots or Schenn to acquire the much needed top young defenseman. I really see no way to get a good young dman. We have been trading for defense for the last 25 years, our entire blueline except Gus is traded for.

I know that no one wants to give up Coots or Schenn, but how else are we getting help on defense, to be honest we actually need 2 defenseman since Timmo is on borrowed time. Remember we gave up Linseman for Howe, Recchi to get Desjardins, and they anchored our defense for 10 years each. We need to make a deal like that, a good young scorer for a good young defenseman. We do not need to make aPronger type deal, where we get a guy at the end of his career.

I'd much rather trade Cooter than Schenn (not that I want to trade either of them).

I like Perry & think he'd be good in Orange & Black. I still think he re-signs with the Ducks soon, though. (If so, they will probably deal Bobby Ryan in the off-season just to save cap space.)

A number 1 defenseman. And it's not just for the NOW aspect... rebuild, get the higher draft pick, but the number one defenseman is something you're going to need this year and forever after. You don't have one, and you can draft one that will develop in a few years time barring any Dougie Hamiltons out there, but you're probably not going to address it in one year. Seth Jones being what he is you're still going to need to give him a few years to develop.

• Like 1

Polaris , those are my exact thoughts, we nned a top dman now for right now and we need to draft one this year since it takes a few years for a dman to make any kind of impact. Im still pissed off that we passed up Hamilton, I dont care how good Coots turns out, we were in position to draft a franchise defenseman and we took a center as usual. If we get a good pick this year I hope there is a great dman available.